Hi Howard
Seem to remember I had the exact same problem, but damned if I can remember how I over came the problem. Not a lot of use I know, but is this only applicable to either the front or back brakes. If I dig deep into the grey matter, the shuttle valve was the problem for me. It allowed fluid in, but not back. Suggested tempory fix might be to by pass this and see if the drum still binds.
Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
Richard,
thanks for response. It is a IIA so doesn't have a shuttle valve, it has a single line braking system. Problem is with front left.
I am saving filing the shoes as a last resort. I also spoke to Nick at Blanchards who hadn't come across my problem before.
I am trying throwing money at it in desperation having ordered a Girling wheel cylinder, a Girling hose and genuine brake springs to replace the other new parts : a Delphi wheel cylinder, Lucas hose and Britpart springs.
Cheers,
Howard
thanks for response. It is a IIA so doesn't have a shuttle valve, it has a single line braking system. Problem is with front left.
I am saving filing the shoes as a last resort. I also spoke to Nick at Blanchards who hadn't come across my problem before.
I am trying throwing money at it in desperation having ordered a Girling wheel cylinder, a Girling hose and genuine brake springs to replace the other new parts : a Delphi wheel cylinder, Lucas hose and Britpart springs.
Cheers,
Howard
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
Hi Howard
I used Delphi wheel cylinders, avoided the Britpart springs, well I didn't until I had one break on me when refitting the linings for the upteem time, so threw them in the recycling bin marked trash
Have you checked and rechecked the actual drum diameter. Looking back at my notes, I ended buying 2 new drums after, again the name Britpart appears. I think I purchased them from Blanchards eventually, and they didn't come in a blue plastic bag. Just a thought that maybe you have a wrongly machined diameter drum.
I used Delphi wheel cylinders, avoided the Britpart springs, well I didn't until I had one break on me when refitting the linings for the upteem time, so threw them in the recycling bin marked trash
Have you checked and rechecked the actual drum diameter. Looking back at my notes, I ended buying 2 new drums after, again the name Britpart appears. I think I purchased them from Blanchards eventually, and they didn't come in a blue plastic bag. Just a thought that maybe you have a wrongly machined diameter drum.
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
Sorry to resurrect this post, but talking to a new found friend with a 2a the same year as mine, he suggested looking at this thread for inspiration for what can be done to get a 2a LW into a better state of repair than it is now, albeit in a similar one to the one you started off with. I will enjoy going back and reading how it all went.
Cheers
Sean
43FG05
Cheers
Sean
43FG05
Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
I don't have a problem with you resurrecting this post, hope it is useful although I still have a few teething problems that I haven't had time to fix! This may seem a little odd given the time that has elapsed, but I moved house and started a Land Rover parts business based on Dunsfold stock, this being in addition to my full-time day job.
I plan to go to Newbury this weekend if anyone else is about?
I plan to go to Newbury this weekend if anyone else is about?
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild
I do need some time to get back to this!Landie68 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:11 pmHi Howard
I used Delphi wheel cylinders, avoided the Britpart springs, well I didn't until I had one break on me when refitting the linings for the upteem time, so threw them in the recycling bin marked trash![]()
Have you checked and rechecked the actual drum diameter. Looking back at my notes, I ended buying 2 new drums after, again the name Britpart appears. I think I purchased them from Blanchards eventually, and they didn't come in a blue plastic bag. Just a thought that maybe you have a wrongly machined diameter drum.
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]