Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
Landie68
Master Baker
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm
Location: Herefordshire

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Landie68 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi Howard

Seem to remember I had the exact same problem, but damned if I can remember how I over came the problem. Not a lot of use I know, but is this only applicable to either the front or back brakes. If I dig deep into the grey matter, the shuttle valve was the problem for me. It allowed fluid in, but not back. Suggested tempory fix might be to by pass this and see if the drum still binds.
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Richard,
thanks for response. It is a IIA so doesn't have a shuttle valve, it has a single line braking system. Problem is with front left.
I am saving filing the shoes as a last resort. I also spoke to Nick at Blanchards who hadn't come across my problem before.
I am trying throwing money at it in desperation having ordered a Girling wheel cylinder, a Girling hose and genuine brake springs to replace the other new parts : a Delphi wheel cylinder, Lucas hose and Britpart springs.
Cheers,
Howard
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

Landie68
Master Baker
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm
Location: Herefordshire

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Landie68 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi Howard

I used Delphi wheel cylinders, avoided the Britpart springs, well I didn't until I had one break on me when refitting the linings for the upteem time, so threw them in the recycling bin marked trash :lol:
Have you checked and rechecked the actual drum diameter. Looking back at my notes, I ended buying 2 new drums after, again the name Britpart appears. I think I purchased them from Blanchards eventually, and they didn't come in a blue plastic bag. Just a thought that maybe you have a wrongly machined diameter drum.
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

Sean65
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:43 pm

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Sean65 » Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:02 pm

Sorry to resurrect this post, but talking to a new found friend with a 2a the same year as mine, he suggested looking at this thread for inspiration for what can be done to get a 2a LW into a better state of repair than it is now, albeit in a similar one to the one you started off with. I will enjoy going back and reading how it all went.
Cheers
Sean
43FG05

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:35 am

I don't have a problem with you resurrecting this post, hope it is useful although I still have a few teething problems that I haven't had time to fix! This may seem a little odd given the time that has elapsed, but I moved house and started a Land Rover parts business based on Dunsfold stock, this being in addition to my full-time day job.

I plan to go to Newbury this weekend if anyone else is about?
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:35 am

Landie68 wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:11 pm
Hi Howard

I used Delphi wheel cylinders, avoided the Britpart springs, well I didn't until I had one break on me when refitting the linings for the upteem time, so threw them in the recycling bin marked trash :lol:
Have you checked and rechecked the actual drum diameter. Looking back at my notes, I ended buying 2 new drums after, again the name Britpart appears. I think I purchased them from Blanchards eventually, and they didn't come in a blue plastic bag. Just a thought that maybe you have a wrongly machined diameter drum.
I do need some time to get back to this!
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

Post Reply