mystery engine number

Hi, you have found the Military Lightweight Club Forum!

This Forum is intended as a place to discuss your projects and/or military equipment, ask questions, share knowledge and help one another.

Please register and feel free to introduce yourself and share your views and opinions with other like minded people.

Kind regards, Military Lightweight
Post Reply
richard
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2025 8:29 am

mystery engine number

Post by richard » Sat Mar 22, 2025 9:12 am

Good morning,

Before I start asking questions, let me introduce myself. I do not own a lightweight, nor have I ever done. I do however have a bronze green hooded petrol 1964 Series 2a 109" 'heavyweight'. Have had it for about 10 years now. I'm a member of your Series 2 Club counterpart. I live in the Netherlands and the Rover is a few years younger than I am.

My Series 2a rolled off the production line in 1964, went straight to Amsterdam, but was only officially registered with the RDW (your DVLA) in 1969. It disappeared – again – form the radar (military?) and reappeared in the eighties when someone bought it at an army dump to use it for camping trips with a scouting group. The next owner restored it, and 'my' PO had a rebuilt 2.25 engine installed. That particular engine is the reason I joined this forum.

The engine number is 99500360B. I couldn't find any reference to that specific number, until I stumbled upon a 2016 thread on this forum that mentions that particular series 995xxxx. Someone suggested to me it could be a Santana engine used by Land Rover when there was a shortage of parts in the UK, series 991xx and 992xx being used by Santana, but the author of the post, 'Vlaanderen', or Norman, lists it as 995xxxx 8:1 Compression For Belgian Military 4x2 1974-1975.

Can any of you tell me more about this specific series of Land Rover engines?

Many thanks in advance.

Richard

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: mystery engine number

Post by AR4412 » Tue Mar 25, 2025 7:59 am

Hi Richard,

I'm sure I read an article on the Belgian two wheel drive Land Rovers in one of the LR magazines a few years ago, and IIRC it did state that the engine Serial Numbers started 995. But a look through my old magazines at the weekend failed to find anything. (I guess it would help if I could remember which one I read it in.)

Anyway, me and Mr Insomnia were having a look on the web in the early hours, and stumbled across this.

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/ ... ia.330341/

Not much. But, it's the only reference I came across for a 995 engine.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

richard
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2025 8:29 am

Re: mystery engine number

Post by richard » Tue Mar 25, 2025 10:06 am

Good morning!

Thanks for that. Of course Land Rovers are far more important than a good night's sleep ;)

I tried googling for the article you mentioned myself, but can't find anything either, yet. But I think in recent years some have closed shop. I did find another mention of the Tanzanian 4x2 however, on the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, a long thread spanning more than a decade on 4x2 Series Land Rovers, 1, 2 and 3. A member with forum name SFB asks owners of 4x2's to help them compile a register. There's an email address. I'll give that a try…

Richard

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: mystery engine number

Post by AR4412 » Tue Mar 25, 2025 10:33 am

Good luck tracking down more information, I wish you success.

Regards
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

richard
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2025 8:29 am

Re: mystery engine number

Post by richard » Tue Mar 25, 2025 10:40 am

I just received a 'permanent error' and 'address failed' on the email address I mentioned earlier. I'll keep you posted if I do find anything.

Richard

Post Reply