1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
Good morning, looking for some advice on my 1976 Series 3 tailboard. I have what looks to be the MTC1199 lower tailboard with the fittings for the drop-down number plate. Would I be correct in assuming this tailboard is the correct one for my year, or should mine be fitted with the later tailboard without the number plate drop down fittings? Many thanks in advance, Andy.
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
Hi Andy,
my Lightweight is from 6 / 1976. There were some differences to a normal Series III in the front so that it looks like a IIA. But I am quite sure, that the tailgate is original. The holder of the numberplate was missing (I made it on my own) but the square hole was in the lower part where the bracket finds place.
So I assume: yours should be with drop down fittings
Steve
my Lightweight is from 6 / 1976. There were some differences to a normal Series III in the front so that it looks like a IIA. But I am quite sure, that the tailgate is original. The holder of the numberplate was missing (I made it on my own) but the square hole was in the lower part where the bracket finds place.
So I assume: yours should be with drop down fittings
Steve
It's supposed to look like that, it's crochet...
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
A simple way to find out if the number plate was located on the lower tailgate section, the number plate light wiring exit in-between the chassis and the rear body and terminate onto the rear chassis member, or is routed through the body floor in the left rear corner.
Photo of mine, part original, I added an earth/neutral cable to the number plate light, so not reliant on body earth on tailgate.
Photo of mine, part original, I added an earth/neutral cable to the number plate light, so not reliant on body earth on tailgate.
- Attachments
-
- Lwt01.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
Brian
56FL65 - LWT FFR 24v
61FL39 / 94AV44 - 101 RHD Radio Body 12v
55KL83 - Harley-Davidson MT350
- - - - - - - Can Am Bombardier 250
56FL65 - LWT FFR 24v
61FL39 / 94AV44 - 101 RHD Radio Body 12v
55KL83 - Harley-Davidson MT350
- - - - - - - Can Am Bombardier 250
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
I think the numberplate moved and tailgate changed in 1981
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
I have seen 3 different layouts of Lightweight tailgate:
Early: number plate fitted and pioneer tools mounts
Mid: number plate not fitted, however the holes still exist for the number plate and to cover them up, they use the Land Rover (moved from the tub) badge and a blanking grommet
Late: No cutouts whatsoever for the upper and lower tailgates
All of these happened during the series 3 lifespan, the mid one seems to appear in around 1979 and disappear around 1981/82.
Early: number plate fitted and pioneer tools mounts
Mid: number plate not fitted, however the holes still exist for the number plate and to cover them up, they use the Land Rover (moved from the tub) badge and a blanking grommet
Late: No cutouts whatsoever for the upper and lower tailgates
All of these happened during the series 3 lifespan, the mid one seems to appear in around 1979 and disappear around 1981/82.
1968 Mini-Carawagon
1968 109 Truck Cab
1975 LWT 76 AM 00 - 1 day younger than me
1979 LWT 23 HF 09 - Ex 42 Cdo
1980 LWT 54 HG 91 - Ex 45 Cdo Winterised FFR
1984 Anti-Spark 04 KD 67
Follow me on YouTube @Theairportableguy
1968 109 Truck Cab
1975 LWT 76 AM 00 - 1 day younger than me
1979 LWT 23 HF 09 - Ex 42 Cdo
1980 LWT 54 HG 91 - Ex 45 Cdo Winterised FFR
1984 Anti-Spark 04 KD 67
Follow me on YouTube @Theairportableguy
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
Hi,NichollsA wrote: ↑Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:38 amGood morning, looking for some advice on my 1976 Series 3 tailboard. I have what looks to be the MTC1199 lower tailboard with the fittings for the drop-down number plate. Would I be correct in assuming this tailboard is the correct one for my year, or should mine be fitted with the later tailboard without the number plate drop down fittings? Many thanks in advance, Andy.
You are spot on, tailboard is correct for year, drop down plate mounting disappeared June 82 as part of rationalization to best of my knowledge.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
I think Stuey is right with his dating. My 'HG', built October 80, (And another from that contract we have at work), have the badge covering the catch hole in the tailgate and the numberplate on the tub rear panel. I have also seen pics of 'HF's' with this set up, which puts the change point, to me, at some point in '79.
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: 1976 Series 3 Lightweight / Lower tailboard
Wonderful information everyone, many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.