19FM37
Re: 19FM37
Great progress, dash looks great.
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
Hi all,
Finish coat on the wheels today, all being well get them on in the next few days, finally dialled the spray gun in with the enamel
, might re-do the wing tops yet, not sure.
Dash is also finished.
I’m hoping that helicoils in the screen hinges might work, if not I’ll use bolts and put a plastic cap on the outside of the hinge.
Got to finish the seatbox, sills and a few other bits then drag it out as wiring not here until September, swap it with my old series 3 so I can finish that for mot, then I can start on one of the 110s.
Cheers
Finish coat on the wheels today, all being well get them on in the next few days, finally dialled the spray gun in with the enamel
Dash is also finished.
I’m hoping that helicoils in the screen hinges might work, if not I’ll use bolts and put a plastic cap on the outside of the hinge.
Got to finish the seatbox, sills and a few other bits then drag it out as wiring not here until September, swap it with my old series 3 so I can finish that for mot, then I can start on one of the 110s.
Cheers
- Attachments
-
- 7E83E20F-A232-4BB5-8B86-E858CCBBA0AF.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2357 times
-
- 171500C8-0E39-4F7F-A52F-7A73E1B22D02.jpeg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 2357 times
-
- 4AEE031F-9F17-4DBF-A316-E8BC12D10CAC.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 2357 times
-
- 6E11EDB1-D64E-48B8-81D1-44AAC2DFADEF.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2357 times
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
Couldn’t resist putting the spare on, first time the spare has been there in years!
- Attachments
-
- DDC715D0-24C6-441A-8937-FEA0828E1336.jpeg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 2354 times
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: 19FM37
That really is looking good. I am very impressed with the wing protectors, "tidy!" as they say in these parts! Incidentally, a good easy way of asking tyres when you're spraying the wheels is to use a pack of playing cards. Wedged between the wheel and tyre and overlapped, they're quick to fit and quick to remove afterwards. Mine is a set of "Happy Families", but any set will do!
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
Cheers, I’m liking it more and more again,
I searched the house top to bottom for any part packs of cards, ended up using half decent printer paper, frog masking tape and masking paper, I was amazed it worked
Put them on yesterday evening, not tightened the nuts yet tho, looking at it now I might have to find a 2 1/4 petrol engine as it’s nearly standard again
Think I’ve got a way to do the screen hinge bolts, helicoil and jb weld, will look better than a bolt right through.
Nearly time to drag it out and finish another project and start another before the wiring arrives
Cheers
I searched the house top to bottom for any part packs of cards, ended up using half decent printer paper, frog masking tape and masking paper, I was amazed it worked
Put them on yesterday evening, not tightened the nuts yet tho, looking at it now I might have to find a 2 1/4 petrol engine as it’s nearly standard again
Think I’ve got a way to do the screen hinge bolts, helicoil and jb weld, will look better than a bolt right through.
Nearly time to drag it out and finish another project and start another before the wiring arrives
Cheers
- Attachments
-
- 5E22AC98-2F12-447C-9C15-AB17EDA7F7B8.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2319 times
-
- F04C305C-C00E-42F0-A4E5-5AB367A34F6E.jpeg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 2319 times
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
Bit of tinkering thus afternoon, having fun with the windscreen.......
The hinge itself on both sides when left as they were meant the gutter hit the washer jets, so took the jets off, still not going back far enough at the top
So thought of turning the hinge upside down, both snapped
but, screen goes back to where it’s needed.
Has anyone had similar? they need currently to sit in a “n” not a “u” if you get my meaning.
So, eBay to the rescue for two hinges, they don’t look as bent as the ones fitted before so we will see!
Fitted the vent panel door seals and painted up 2 of the 3 for the near side door so fit those at some point.
Drivers door has the seals on, seem to catch a bit and the seat box to tub bolts are a bit proud so the bottom of the door sticks out a bit
Need to find some night vision goggles too
Cheers
The hinge itself on both sides when left as they were meant the gutter hit the washer jets, so took the jets off, still not going back far enough at the top
So thought of turning the hinge upside down, both snapped
Has anyone had similar? they need currently to sit in a “n” not a “u” if you get my meaning.
So, eBay to the rescue for two hinges, they don’t look as bent as the ones fitted before so we will see!
Fitted the vent panel door seals and painted up 2 of the 3 for the near side door so fit those at some point.
Drivers door has the seals on, seem to catch a bit and the seat box to tub bolts are a bit proud so the bottom of the door sticks out a bit
Need to find some night vision goggles too
Cheers
- Attachments
-
- 177C135D-38F2-4D06-A925-83282EDF0258.jpeg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 2288 times
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
Hi all
Big change of plans today, out with the v8!
Going to fit an original 2 1/4 petrol which all being well will be here next week.
Some welding needed, no battery/ air filter mount but can pinch one off the donor along with the associated bracket.
Have got the fan cowl and a few other bits kicking round so all being well only need a carb elbow, new clutch, exhaust and a few other bits.
Will need to change both diffs at some point as currently fitted with 3:54s so will probably raid the donor again, guessing way over geared with 3:54s on 7.50s
Half the seats arrived today ( just the backs)
so the inside can be carried on with.
What’s the original colour of military engines? Chap says it looks tatty but rebuilt back in the day so will give it a coat of paint before it goes in, I’ll be running it on the crane before paying, but assured it’s a good runner, he is taking the donors old lump as a core unit.
Can finish painting the bulkhead too
The 110 might get a v8 next, dont think 3.5l will be enough in my 90 thanks to the weight and tyre size etc.
Cheers
Big change of plans today, out with the v8!
Going to fit an original 2 1/4 petrol which all being well will be here next week.
Some welding needed, no battery/ air filter mount but can pinch one off the donor along with the associated bracket.
Have got the fan cowl and a few other bits kicking round so all being well only need a carb elbow, new clutch, exhaust and a few other bits.
Will need to change both diffs at some point as currently fitted with 3:54s so will probably raid the donor again, guessing way over geared with 3:54s on 7.50s
Half the seats arrived today ( just the backs)
What’s the original colour of military engines? Chap says it looks tatty but rebuilt back in the day so will give it a coat of paint before it goes in, I’ll be running it on the crane before paying, but assured it’s a good runner, he is taking the donors old lump as a core unit.
Can finish painting the bulkhead too
The 110 might get a v8 next, dont think 3.5l will be enough in my 90 thanks to the weight and tyre size etc.
Cheers
- Attachments
-
- 2B22BE28-2B60-4504-A213-A6698FB546B1.jpeg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 2267 times
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: 19FM37
Wow! That's a significant change all of a sudden. I am sure, though, that you'll find the 2286 more than adequate for running about in, though I am sure you'll miss the lovely 3.5 burble. As many people on here know, as I have bored them about it for the last 2 years, I had a great deal of trouble sorting out a workable carb for my 2 1/4, but, having finally achieved it, I must say, it goes like a bomb on the lanes - I'm having to take a bit more care, in fact, as it is a bit light on the back and prone to a bit of back wheel screeching if I have to stop in a hurry!
I started out intending to modify the vehicle to suit modern needs - I had all sorts of ideas, but, like you, once I started to get it stripped down I really wanted to get it back as close to original as I could. And, having finished it, I don't regret that, either. It's a lot of fun.
I started out intending to modify the vehicle to suit modern needs - I had all sorts of ideas, but, like you, once I started to get it stripped down I really wanted to get it back as close to original as I could. And, having finished it, I don't regret that, either. It's a lot of fun.
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
I’m definitely going to miss the v8, but I won’t miss the skinned knuckles changing plugs and the cross eyes watching the temp gauge all the time
Chap is going to fit a good Webber carb, I know they are not every ones cup of tea but I know them reasonably well.
Will get it in and running, down the line I may do some upgrades to the head etc.
Just miffed that I sold any number of 2286 petrol engines, scrapped a load too and they are good money now
Hindsight lol ( I won’t mention the mint classic RRs cut up with a disc cutter
)
I’m sure I’ll be asking lots over the next few weeks!
Cheers
Don
Don
Chap is going to fit a good Webber carb, I know they are not every ones cup of tea but I know them reasonably well.
Will get it in and running, down the line I may do some upgrades to the head etc.
Just miffed that I sold any number of 2286 petrol engines, scrapped a load too and they are good money now
Hindsight lol ( I won’t mention the mint classic RRs cut up with a disc cutter
I’m sure I’ll be asking lots over the next few weeks!
Cheers
Don
Don
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
-
Bigdon1981
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: 19FM37
Hi all
Waiting for the engine to arrive, so sorting other bits, bell crank for the throttle arrived today so cleaned it up and temporarily fitted ( so I don’t lose it
) welding hopefully done in the next few days.
Lots of bits on order so fingers crossed it can be fitted reasonably quick.
Fitted the tub floor strips earlier too, might mess with the seats later.
Anyone know the best screws to use to hold the base on?
Cheers
Waiting for the engine to arrive, so sorting other bits, bell crank for the throttle arrived today so cleaned it up and temporarily fitted ( so I don’t lose it
Lots of bits on order so fingers crossed it can be fitted reasonably quick.
Fitted the tub floor strips earlier too, might mess with the seats later.
Anyone know the best screws to use to hold the base on?
Cheers
- Attachments
-
- 90324E22-7075-4558-B0D4-EBC13024D33C.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 1966 times
88KE54 Land Rover 110 ex Raf, Odiham, Stafford, Leeming.
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A
Land Rover 90
Range Rover Classic (87) 3.9 auto
Freelander 1 td4 facelift
Land Rover series 3
19FM37 lightweight GS ex Northern Ireland (VSD all service)
38FG93 lightweight series 2A