19HF27
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: 19HF27
And, of course, looking at yours, I see it is also more authentic than mine in that it has underseal. I had decided not to use underseal as I didn't want to cover everything with black goo. But... Today, I have used a schutz air sprayer to do the underside of the Discovery. And, I am really pleased with the results - it was much easier and more accurate to apply than I had expected. And I have 3 litres left, so I might just have a go at the wheel arches on the Lightweight - they'll look more correct and, crucially, the vehicle will be quieter (or so it says on the tin!) And, likewise, I do hope we get to meet in the fullness of time. Can't see that happening for a month or two yet, though.
Re: 19HF27
Hi Bob,
Consistent and sustainable work, I appreciate. Congratulations to you.
Yes absolutely, it is useful to sit in your thinking chair and imagine the assembly chronology, sometimes different between a restoration where time matters little and the imperatives of a profitable commercial activity in vehicle construction.
So you need a very comfortable thinking chair to accuse the blow of a disappointment...
Regards.
Looloo
Consistent and sustainable work, I appreciate. Congratulations to you.
Yes absolutely, it is useful to sit in your thinking chair and imagine the assembly chronology, sometimes different between a restoration where time matters little and the imperatives of a profitable commercial activity in vehicle construction.
So you need a very comfortable thinking chair to accuse the blow of a disappointment...
Regards.
Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)
Re: 19HF27
Following the initial euphoria of completing tub refurb part 1, with time on my hands whilst awaiting parts I started part 2; the tie down cleats, initially with the intention of changing all the fasteners to the correct length and sheradised finish - as it progressed it was obvious by every ping of the rotten retaining rivets giving way I was going to have to take the lot off and refurb the plates. That's taken all week up to Thursday with the end result of this;
The only ones I didn't have to do were the floor ones as they were done a few years back and sound, I did manage through many contortions around the URS to get fasteners changed without having to move it.
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
Re: 19HF27
Come Friday, the long awaited bits and pieces arrived from PAB which enabled completion of the tail gate refurb which has been running concurrent with this whole project.
Well not quite, it is still missing something......any body spot what?
With everything done, time to get the splash plates and sides back on... Now a dilemma, as I've pointed out before my doors sit a bit low but work. I've thought about doing an alignment exercise many times and if ever, now is the time.
Not sure, I'm of the mind if its not broke don't fix it.
Regards
Bob
With everything done, time to get the splash plates and sides back on... Now a dilemma, as I've pointed out before my doors sit a bit low but work. I've thought about doing an alignment exercise many times and if ever, now is the time.
Not sure, I'm of the mind if its not broke don't fix it.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
Re: 19HF27
Hi Bob
Mine has a small "R" clip on a chain, which goes through the bottom of the N/S hinge to stop it from sliding out when the tail gate is lowered. Mine is a 1983, does yours have the same?
Regards
Mine has a small "R" clip on a chain, which goes through the bottom of the N/S hinge to stop it from sliding out when the tail gate is lowered. Mine is a 1983, does yours have the same?
Regards
Re: 19HF27
R clip. Ring clips. !?!
How decadent. Mine had a split pin on each side to keep it all together. How the other half live eh?
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: 19HF27
Too right! Don't forget the "Luxury R Clip Chain", to keep it all in order. Might even paint mine red!..... 
Regards
Regards
Re: 19HF27
Hi Jon,
Here's the genuine articles on mine; Chain ring, retaining 346063 - Blanchard's
Chain, radiator cap 231190 - genuine article out of my spares stash - beware you can still get this but the finish will be zinc, very shiny.
Regards
Bob
Here's the genuine articles on mine; Chain ring, retaining 346063 - Blanchard's
Chain, radiator cap 231190 - genuine article out of my spares stash - beware you can still get this but the finish will be zinc, very shiny.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
Re: 19HF27
Hi Bob
Looks good. Makes sense to use a retainer like that, as an R clip may be pulled out more easily, if the chain was accidently pulled. When I restore my vehicle back to its full winterised spec, I'll be putting a hard top and one piece rear door on, so the tail gate and existing hoops, tilt etc will go into storage. (Just in case I change my mind!).
Enjoying following your "repair & maintenance" progress, as even restored vehicles still need constant attention to keep them ship shape. Keep up the good work!
Regards
Looks good. Makes sense to use a retainer like that, as an R clip may be pulled out more easily, if the chain was accidently pulled. When I restore my vehicle back to its full winterised spec, I'll be putting a hard top and one piece rear door on, so the tail gate and existing hoops, tilt etc will go into storage. (Just in case I change my mind!).
Enjoying following your "repair & maintenance" progress, as even restored vehicles still need constant attention to keep them ship shape. Keep up the good work!
Regards
Re: 19HF27
Back to early this year, I fitted new tyres on the rear - this is one of them, 50 miles or so only and its knackered, split to f***
The woes of 40 year old tyres, this is the second new one I've had do this on me.
Stupidly I sold my set of seconds a couple of months back
Stupidly I sold my set of seconds a couple of months back
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.