An Interesting Sight Mount

Discuss rifles, machine guns, bayonets, slings, sights, cleaning kits etc
User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by AR4412 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 pm

I bought this recently, and it arrived yesterday. I had heard of them, but never seen one. So when I saw it for sale I decided to get it.
1.jpg
1.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
Before I give away the answer, anybody else out there know what is? And, what it fits to what?

Ooooh. Another guessing game. We like guessing games we do. :D

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
Sidders101
Bake Off Judge
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by Sidders101 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Suit mount..but for what weapon.!...I can only assume LMG4 ? As it is side swipe orientated to dodge the mag.
Sidders


1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by Tinweasel » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Hiya Neil :D Looks like a SUIT sight mount for a Gpmg to me, bloody rare and a nice find if it is.

Shaun
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by AR4412 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:00 pm

Hiya Shaun! :D ,

You're getting good at these guessing games mucka. It is indeed a SUIT mount for a GPMG.
4.jpg
4.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
It isn't fully locking home at present, but I'm sure it will settle into place with a bit of gentle persuasion/brute force.

Going to have to get another SUIT now. :roll: Anyone in the market for a kidney?

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

andrewjsimpson1977
Cake Guru
Posts: 3613
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: Befordshire

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:16 pm

AR4412 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:00 pm
Hiya Shaun! :D ,

You're getting good at these guessing games mucka. It is indeed a SUIT mount for a GPMG.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

It isn't fully locking home at present, but I'm sure it will settle into place with a bit of gentle persuasion/brute force.

Going to have to get another SUIT now. :roll: Anyone in the market for a kidney?

Regards,
I’ve reduced the whisky cupboard down significantly during lockdown matey, perhaps we can do a deal on that kidney :!

Out of interest what does a SUIT sight go for in 2020?

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by AR4412 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Far too much mate, I think they were around £700 when I last looked. I only paid £279 for my one and it wasn't that long ago, a couple of years maybe.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

andrewjsimpson1977
Cake Guru
Posts: 3613
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: Befordshire

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:48 pm

AR4412 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:42 pm
Far too much mate, I think they were around £700 when I last looked. I only paid £279 for my one and it wasn't that long ago, a couple of years maybe.

Regards,



Jesus Christ on a bike :o

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by AR4412 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Found one on ebay, without an SLR top slide, which I wouldn't need for the GPMG, but would for my second SLR.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L2A2-trilux- ... Sw0sVe3kdj

An SLR slide would probably cost you £120 on it's own, for a reproduction one.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by Bob Fell » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:00 pm

Hiya Neil :D
Where the 'kinell did you find that!!!!
Hens Teeth, never new it existed.
You lucky man :mrgreen:
Regards
Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: An Interesting Sight Mount

Post by Tinweasel » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Very nice Neil 😀I do like that! I have a reasonable idea of the equipment used in the 70's/80's, its the human side I struggle most with like how Battalions, Regiments, Divisions, company's all fit in together, how you reported sick, how disciplinary action was taken, or was there one specific set of rules for Zulu Warrior or was it different across each regiment, stuff like that!

I get the impression that they were one of those good ideas that wasn't, I think I remember reading that they were intended to be part of the SF kit but others may know more. Oddly I have seen references to the C2 sight mount from the gpmg being butchered onto an L4 LMG (Bren) to be able to fit a S. U. I. T on them with one of these mounts, but again can't think it was very common.

The S.U.I.T has a reputation for falling off an SLR during rapid fire so it would be interesting to know how long they would stay on a full auto weapon.

One question though, just how easy is it to get eye alignment with this set up?
andrewjsimpson1977 wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:16 pm
I’ve reduced the whisky cupboard down significantly during lockdown matey, perhaps we can do a deal on that kidney :!

Out of interest what does a SUIT sight go for in 2020?
I'm no expert on the price of things, but I haven't seen any for sale since February, and I'm sure they were in the £500-£750 ball park.

Shaun
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

Post Reply