Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Discuss rifles, machine guns, bayonets, slings, sights, cleaning kits etc
User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by removeduser185 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 pm

Is it one of those padded insulated containers for keeping a vacuum flask warm?

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by Tinweasel » Sun May 10, 2020 11:50 am

Sorry Fred, not for a thermos.

The current situation has Neil as the closest, its just possible that thinking should be across not around.

Shaun
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

Jon S
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by Jon S » Sun May 10, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi Shaun!

Total guess, but maybe VE/WW2 themed?
PIAT Round? If not, can you give us a clue regarding the dates whatever it is, was in service for?

Regards

User avatar
Sidders101
Bake Off Judge
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Winchester

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by Sidders101 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:13 pm

a PIAT was my guess.
Sidders


1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by Tinweasel » Mon May 11, 2020 1:06 pm

OK not a PIAT...

Mmm another clue that won't completely give the game away.

Weapons with this bore have been in use for a fairly long time, certainly pre WW1, my item however is dated to 1972, which makes it fairly early for the weapon system its designed for.

Hope that helps

Shaun
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by removeduser185 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Something to do with a 40mm grenade launcher?

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by AR4412 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm

I've tried very hard, but have failed, to get the thought of 105mm out of my head for some reason. :?

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by Tinweasel » Thu May 14, 2020 10:33 am

Hello Fred, nope not grenade or launcher related.

Neil, I have been after a nice 105 projectile for a goodly while to go with a nice light gun casing I have. And the 105mm round has a long history with several countries having used it for a very long time. Sadly The L118 however didn't enter service until about 1976.

One last clue

It’s destined to end up here
DAEFEF3D-0FBC-4961-A59E-882FBEEE1FD0.jpeg
DAEFEF3D-0FBC-4961-A59E-882FBEEE1FD0.jpeg (104.89 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
Hope that helps

Shaun
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by Tinweasel » Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm

Been meaning to post this up for a few days but don't seem to have found the time.

Last clue!
Attachments
IMG_20200525_162021.jpg
IMG_20200525_162021.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 6077 times
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Well I think we all understand the concept, what’s...

Post by AR4412 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Hiya Shaun! :D ,

With that last clue, I think I may have got it. It did enter my head as a thought previously, but I stayed on the thinking lines of land based guns so rulled it out. I think it's a 4.5" practice round for a Naval gun fitted to a boat. (That should wind Graham up. :D ) If so is it for your Falklands kit collection/display?

Off to do some digging on the 4.5" as all I know is it's 114mm in new money.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

Post Reply