52HG52 1980 to 1997
-
denisstanley52HG52
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:46 am
52HG52 1980 to 1997
Good Afternoon
My name is Denis Stanley and I have been the owner of a 1980 FFR Lightweight, ERM; 52HG52, since I purchased it unregistered from a surplus dealer in 2003. The vehicle when I purchased it was in very good untouched condition for a 23-year-old ex-military truck but needed brakes, bearings, hoses, etc right away. Since then I have overhauled or replaced anything that I felt might benefit and always with the proper British military item, keeping the vehicle exactly to its original 24 volt FFR specification. The one exception being radial tyres as I could not keep up with the rapid wear on cross plys. I have most of its documentation and history with the exception of its Vehicle Record Book, (but I have not given up hope this yet, Santa please?). I have it kitted out with a Unitary Radio Station and C13 and C42 radios, both of which are complete with their ancillaries and both work. I also have the correct narrow track trailer, ERM; 01ES72, a 9X9 tent and most of the kit carried on exercise in the 1980's.
52HG52 spent the first 14 years of its military life in Hong Kong before being returned to the UK in 1994 where it was stationed in Chester for three years before being sent for disposal in 1997. I am particularly interested in making contact with Forum members who have knowledge of these Land Rovers in Hong Kong in the 1980's and the workings of the Composite Ordnance Depot there.
Denis
My name is Denis Stanley and I have been the owner of a 1980 FFR Lightweight, ERM; 52HG52, since I purchased it unregistered from a surplus dealer in 2003. The vehicle when I purchased it was in very good untouched condition for a 23-year-old ex-military truck but needed brakes, bearings, hoses, etc right away. Since then I have overhauled or replaced anything that I felt might benefit and always with the proper British military item, keeping the vehicle exactly to its original 24 volt FFR specification. The one exception being radial tyres as I could not keep up with the rapid wear on cross plys. I have most of its documentation and history with the exception of its Vehicle Record Book, (but I have not given up hope this yet, Santa please?). I have it kitted out with a Unitary Radio Station and C13 and C42 radios, both of which are complete with their ancillaries and both work. I also have the correct narrow track trailer, ERM; 01ES72, a 9X9 tent and most of the kit carried on exercise in the 1980's.
52HG52 spent the first 14 years of its military life in Hong Kong before being returned to the UK in 1994 where it was stationed in Chester for three years before being sent for disposal in 1997. I am particularly interested in making contact with Forum members who have knowledge of these Land Rovers in Hong Kong in the 1980's and the workings of the Composite Ordnance Depot there.
Denis
- Attachments
-
- Lwt 3 001.jpg (311.35 KiB) Viewed 11283 times
-
- Lwt 1 001.jpg (396.88 KiB) Viewed 11283 times
-
- Lwt2 001.jpg (385.38 KiB) Viewed 11283 times
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Welcome to the forum Denis. Now there's a challenge - hopefully someone on here will have some info on Hong Kong.
Regards
Steve
Regards
Steve
57 KB 58 1983 SIII GS Lightweight
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Welcome Denis,great write up there.Bob Fell has a lightweight that was I believe based in Hong Kong 
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hiya Rod,the landy man wrote: ↑Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:25 pmWelcome Denis,great write up there.Bob Fell has a lightweight that was I believe based in Hong Kong![]()
Good to hear from you
And yes it was, spot on.
Denis, Hello to you and welcome.
My vehicle although a little older than yours had a very similar history.
Initially my question is;
Do you have the B Card for your wagon because it will fill in the gaps between it's DIS and the Merlin report? (which I have checked). Merlin can be notoriously inaccurate depending on the person who did the initial input and was not around when your vehicle came into service so there is always the information gap if you get my drift.
Going by my vehicle history it will have served initially with a Gurkha signal troop as part of the the Gurkha Field Force/48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade before being consigned as a pool vehicle to the Composite Ordnance Depot with the introduction into service of 90/110'S in the mid/late 80's.
That's it for now otherwise will be here all night.
Cheers,
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hiya Bob hope you and your other half are well,long time no see.
I knew you would respond to this thread,great wealth of knowledge ready to be unleashed.
I knew you would respond to this thread,great wealth of knowledge ready to be unleashed.
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hi Dennis,
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing the pics. We like piccies we do. And cake......
Regards,
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing the pics. We like piccies we do. And cake......
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
-
denisstanley52HG52
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:46 am
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hi Bob
I tried to send you some details of the information I had obtained about 52HG52 in Hong Kong but it may not have reached you due to my having only recently joined the Forum. Please let me know if anything came through.
Thanks
Denis
I tried to send you some details of the information I had obtained about 52HG52 in Hong Kong but it may not have reached you due to my having only recently joined the Forum. Please let me know if anything came through.
Thanks
Denis
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hi Denis, not got anything through,denisstanley52HG52 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:17 pmHi Bob
I tried to send you some details of the information I had obtained about 52HG52 in Hong Kong but it may not have reached you due to my having only recently joined the Forum. Please let me know if anything came through.
Thanks
Denis
If you're sending by PM it can be a fickle if you've never used it before.
With regard to the record book try an enquiry to the MOD under the freedom of information act with WhatDoTheyKnow https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ff867a6c ... bW9k&ntb=1
Whereabouts' are you in the UK?
Regards,
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
-
denisstanley52HG52
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:46 am
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hi Bob.
I tried to send you two quite long replies via email concerning vehicle history matters and both appeared in my home email in-box saying that they had also gone to you. However, probably finger trouble on my part, maybe related to my having joined the Forum only lately. I will try to send them again in a few days as I am very interested in the Hong Kong connection.
Best wishes
Denis
I tried to send you two quite long replies via email concerning vehicle history matters and both appeared in my home email in-box saying that they had also gone to you. However, probably finger trouble on my part, maybe related to my having joined the Forum only lately. I will try to send them again in a few days as I am very interested in the Hong Kong connection.
Best wishes
Denis
Re: 52HG52 1980 to 1997
Hi Denis,denisstanley52HG52 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:31 amHi Bob.
I tried to send you two quite long replies via email concerning vehicle history matters and both appeared in my home email in-box saying that they had also gone to you. However, probably finger trouble on my part, maybe related to my having joined the Forum only lately. I will try to send them again in a few days as I am very interested in the Hong Kong connection.
Best wishes
Denis
I have looked into this and if you have used a BT internet address then it is defunct and I cannot access; this is my fault, as I had not updated my details.
Please try again using my AOL address or the site PM.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.