Page 1 of 17
19FM37
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:18 pm
by Bigdon1981
Hi all,
Currently giving my 1973 lightweight some love,
Keeping it V8 for the time being but giving it a sort out!
Was put on a new chassis, galv bulkhead and grille/ rad panel.long before I bought it, some issues to sort!
I’m giving it a respray in deep bronze green and putting lots right along with sourcing bits that are missing!
Terrible wiring! I’ve not modified the wiring, this is the previous owners doing ( I know I’ve owned it 20 years but never got round to sorting it)
Bulkhead outrigger sticks out through the sill
Wing filler neck meant there was no lower outer seatbelt anchor
A few parts to source yet, lots of fabrication needed!
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:28 pm
by Bigdon1981
More pics of progress,
Donor vehicle for a rear tub ( hopefully slightly better than the old one!) plus other bits I need, fingers crossed I can get it picked up some time next week
Improvised spray booth in the garage, using the chassis and 2 workmates for benches for spraying, prep now done outside so hopefully less dust.
Rear axle with a coat of dintrol and white hammerite ( had a tin in the cupboard)
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 am
by landylees
what type of paint are you planning to respray it with ?
Cheers,
Howard
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:21 pm
by Bigdon1981
I’m going to do it in coach enamel, got it from the paint man.
Hopefully 2.5l is enough lol
Don
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:26 pm
by Bigdon1981
Bit of progress, Swiss cheese vent panel

last time it was painted they just used filler on it
Teaching myself to spray, inside of the bonnet looking ok other than a few missed bits.
Donor vehicle being collected tomorrow,
Coming along slowly!
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:16 pm
by Bigdon1981
Hi all,
Any ideas what might have been mounted on the wing? It’s the off side, gs spec not ffr.
Wondering if I should fill them, or try and work out what was mounted.
Ps mirror brackets hopefully sourced
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:59 pm
by AR4412
Not sure what may have been mounted there, sometimes the answers to the purpose of random holes may never be known. But, is that massive hole where the small one for the mirror arm is meant to be? It's hard to tell the exact location of the holes on the wing, so a wider shot may be needed.
Any signs of the support bracket like this one on the underside of the wing?

- SAM_0950.JPG (74.23 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
It may be that a repair was carried out to that area if damage had been sustained.
Regards,
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 pm
by Bigdon1981
Hi,
Brackets missing both sides, think I have sourced some tho.
Other than the holes for the chequer plate that was on there there’s no others, the rivet is holding the reinforcement underneath and I think the hole next to it was doing the same at some point.
I did wonder if the 4 holes might have been for an antenna box, but as it’s a GS I don’t know
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:41 pm
by removeduser185
Bigdon1981 wrote: ↑Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 pm
I did wonder if the 4 holes might have been for an antenna box, but as it’s a GS I don’t know
Cheers
Quite a few GS Lightweights have had ATU boxes fitted to the front wings during their civilian careers, so you could well be right.
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:52 am
by Bigdon1981
Atu box, that’s the word I was looking for
Think I’ll fill the holes, keep the standard look from outside.
I will be using the 24v battery box and lid as it will be easier to run the battery cable to the starter (v8)
Collecting the donor from down the road later so will post some pics up.
Cheers