Series 2a 35 FG 55
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:42 pm
Thought it about time i posted some info on the Lightweight I've owned since March 1993.
Always wanted a Landy ever since i was at school, used to walk to school in the winter through knee high snow and used to watch the Bedford RL gritters and snowploughs along with Landies pass bursting through snowdrifts. So I had the idea that getting an ex-army machine would be a good idea as they would have been looked after... so after a night at the pub, wearing my beer goggles, in the dark, with a belly full of English beer, I spied the very machine for me, it had a graphic equaliser! So i ended up over-paying (my wife likes to remind me of that) for the biggest heap of rusty oil leaking c**p I could possibly have found. My next move was to drive up the M6 to Scotland where petrified i took to the A7 as soon as i could. With relief i began to relax, then the bonnet promptly flew up and bent around the top of the screen obscuring my view. More swearing, found some old wire not used in the 4 extra front spot lights, and tied the bonnet down.
So continued on my way north and home, stopped off at my bemused folks for tea before heading north up the A9 for home. Relief It hadn't broken down, i hadn't crashed, wait till my mates see this, they'll be so...BANG BANG BANG - what the **** was that? That was piston rings saying we're out of here, and that is how the last 4 miles were achieved being towed behind my mates 2a109.
Big problem...no money, so my Landy mad mate replaced the piston rings and one piston in his folks drive way while they were away on holiday.
Anyway over the years I've been slowly bringing it back to near original which included a re-bore, I've had loads of help from mates, this forum and had a load of fun in it on and off road. After a brief stint working in the deep south - Buckinghamshire, a friend transported it down and I drove it back North over 2 days in the winter (no door seals) 2 years later up the M40/M42/M6/M74 etc and I passed a total of 1 vehicle each day, mind you i still have nightmares thinking of that elevated stretch of motorway around Birmingham.
Over the last 5 years its been sitting in my garage, as i wasn't so well for a while. It's now been joined by an other 2a 88" Landy from 1962.
So as I'm almost back to fitness and have this enforced time off my work onwards i go. Photos will follow.
Always wanted a Landy ever since i was at school, used to walk to school in the winter through knee high snow and used to watch the Bedford RL gritters and snowploughs along with Landies pass bursting through snowdrifts. So I had the idea that getting an ex-army machine would be a good idea as they would have been looked after... so after a night at the pub, wearing my beer goggles, in the dark, with a belly full of English beer, I spied the very machine for me, it had a graphic equaliser! So i ended up over-paying (my wife likes to remind me of that) for the biggest heap of rusty oil leaking c**p I could possibly have found. My next move was to drive up the M6 to Scotland where petrified i took to the A7 as soon as i could. With relief i began to relax, then the bonnet promptly flew up and bent around the top of the screen obscuring my view. More swearing, found some old wire not used in the 4 extra front spot lights, and tied the bonnet down.
So continued on my way north and home, stopped off at my bemused folks for tea before heading north up the A9 for home. Relief It hadn't broken down, i hadn't crashed, wait till my mates see this, they'll be so...BANG BANG BANG - what the **** was that? That was piston rings saying we're out of here, and that is how the last 4 miles were achieved being towed behind my mates 2a109.
Big problem...no money, so my Landy mad mate replaced the piston rings and one piston in his folks drive way while they were away on holiday.
Anyway over the years I've been slowly bringing it back to near original which included a re-bore, I've had loads of help from mates, this forum and had a load of fun in it on and off road. After a brief stint working in the deep south - Buckinghamshire, a friend transported it down and I drove it back North over 2 days in the winter (no door seals) 2 years later up the M40/M42/M6/M74 etc and I passed a total of 1 vehicle each day, mind you i still have nightmares thinking of that elevated stretch of motorway around Birmingham.
Over the last 5 years its been sitting in my garage, as i wasn't so well for a while. It's now been joined by an other 2a 88" Landy from 1962.
So as I'm almost back to fitness and have this enforced time off my work onwards i go. Photos will follow.