Newbie from Wirral

Hi, you have found the Military Lightweight Club Forum!

This Forum is intended as a place to discuss your projects and/or military equipment, ask questions, share knowledge and help one another.

Please register and feel free to introduce yourself and share your views and opinions with other like minded people.

Kind regards, Military Lightweight
nickburt

Newbie from Wirral

Post by nickburt » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi folks, great forum, hopefully I'll be taking part soon.

Picking up a '76 Series III Lightweight 24v FFR tomorrow. Don't really know much about it at the moment and bought it pretty much blind, but on the advice and comment from a very good (trusted) friend.

As soon as I have all the registration details etc... I'll be looking for all it's history. Believed to be an ex Blackwatch vehicle. Ideally I'll be trying to restore to it's working condition/livery etc... but maybe carrying out a few "comfort" mods to use it on long distance trips.

The only picture I have of it at the moment (taken by it's current owners when they bought it in 2009):

Image

All comments/observations welcome :)

User avatar
landymad
Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 am
Location: Doncaster

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by landymad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Welcome along to the forum :D
Rob.
Chairman and Webmaster.

1972 Series III Lightweight GS 200Tdi
----------------------------------------------------------

Vlaanderen

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by Vlaanderen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Nick, Welcome again to the forum, the usual culprits will be along later. :lol:

Hope you enjoy this site as much as I do, good fun and plenty of help and information.

"... but maybe carrying out a few "comfort" mods to use it on long distance trips.".......I like that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not far from you, Preston :lol: .

Hope to see you soon.

Regards, Norman.

User avatar
cam3r0n
Master Baker
Posts: 1591
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by cam3r0n » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 pm

You have come to the right place Nick. Welcome to the forum. :D

Observations... You have good taste!

I spy with my little eye a roll bar :D
Cam

1980 SIII Lightweight GS 15HG59
1966 3/4 Ton Sankey 19ES51
1968 3/4 Ton Sankey 33ET83 - deceased and partly stolen

User avatar
indibush
Pastry Chef
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Doncaster

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by indibush » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Nick, Welcome to the forum :P

Indi

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by AR4412 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum, nice looking motor you're getting there. 8-) Hope it brings you many hours of joy and trouble free Land Rovering.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
norcoatomique
Master Baker
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Faringdon Oxfordshire

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by norcoatomique » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi! hello and a very warm welcome to you and your truck! d. 8-)
Certa Cito.

Gordon Bennett
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 7422
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum :D Nice pic.

nickburt

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by nickburt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Well, the LT/WT was collected over the weekend. Round trip of towing 570 odd miles - including some horrible weather conditions Sunday afternoon.
Now sat just outside the workshop. Unfortunatley, because I work away from home during the week, it'll be Sunday now, before I get chance to really get to give it a good looking at.

MOT is booked for Sat 21st - just to see what we're up against, but I don't think it's going to be much. Hoping to have it on the road in time to take it to Peterborough in Sept.

More pics to follow, when I'm on a proper internet connection.

Thansk for the welcomes and comments - looking forward to the fun ......

nickburt

Re: Newbie from Wirral

Post by nickburt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 pm

cam3r0n wrote:.....................

I spy with my little eye a roll bar :D
Yup, and it's going. Totaly the wrong thing for this truck. Need a proper military bar. Also need a horizontal rear roof stick, fuel tank, change over switch ....... a previous owner has removed the c/o switch and cut the top out of the passenger tank to turnk it into a storage box !!!!!

Post Reply