19HF27

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: 19HF27

Post by AR4412 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 pm

I haven't had to do a repair to a leak like that, so can't offer up any pearls of wisdom mate. My rebuild plate was fixed to the block with Epoxy, surprised it was still there.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
Loulou
Pastry Chef
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Location: France

Re: 19HF27

Post by Loulou » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Hello Bob,

Sorry for my late comment, it's a bit tense right now.

For the "oil leak" behind the engine rebuild plate.
I will make the same comments as Neil with high quality synthetic metal and good degreasing with cotton swabs and acetone for example.

An "African bush" repair with a good quality screw plus a large washer and joint paste…?

For the water pump.
There are several qualities at different prices, but you are all well informed ...
For all the screws I started again from zero and checked the various lengths as well as those of the timing cover with as reference the Nato catalog of spare parts for the LWT; it is prudent because I had screws a little too long and whose thread was "tired" = all new screws.
The threads were also taken with a die and well de-oxidized and that's a job! Reassembling with copper grease, everywhere-everywhere.
And the famous torque wrench, but you know that too.

Good luck for this job

Regards.
Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: 19HF27

Post by Bob Fell » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi Loulou
Merci Mon Ami for your input, much appreciated :D
OK, today went storming well, achieved the mission with the water pump removed, took me about 3 hours, nice and steady, all fasteners coming off easy;
20210226_150710.jpg
20210226_150710.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 1560 times
20210226_150813.jpg
20210226_150813.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 1560 times
Regards
Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

User avatar
Loulou
Pastry Chef
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Location: France

Re: 19HF27

Post by Loulou » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 am

Hi Bob,

Please, servant.

An important detail that I encountered during my work:
Perpendicular alignment or alignment of the idler pulley of the belt system.
There was play in the axis and a bad alignment, it is to think about the reassembly as well as a good tension.
New belts maybe too?

Good luck and have a good weekend

free pulley .png
free pulley .png (190.44 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Regards

Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: 19HF27

Post by Bob Fell » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi Loulou,
Good advice, I refurbed the generator belt idler pulley 3 years back with a new bearing and its ok, also yes, I have a new set of ROFAN belts to fit. The fan belt pulley also checks out ok. No point in doing things by halves.
I also have a NOS gennie I'm considering fitting and sending the old one off for refurb although the bearings seem ok there is a faint click when I rotate the pulley. Not sure yet.
Today amongst other things I have cleaned the engine, block pump mating face, hose mountings and prepped the new pump for painting Duck Egg.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

User avatar
Loulou
Pastry Chef
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Location: France

Re: 19HF27

Post by Loulou » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:12 am

Hello Bob,

All this seems to me a good sustainable maintenance approach.
Carefully keep your original spare parts and attempt maintenance repairs and then store the "correct" parts.

For the belts, I also reassembled paired NOS Rofan (Rover 538393 / ROFAN 9185), but these are a little dry. I have here a pdf file "Cross References Gates" with all the brands on the market and where you can find a notched Gates reference corresponding to the original Rofan.
I do not know how to send it to you or make it available to everyone on the forum.
The "Cross References Gates" offers:
Generator: ROFAN 9185 = DAYCO 13A1335C = Gates 6483 EXL or 6483 MC
Water pump: Rover 535688 / ROFAN 3A1025 (12.5x1025mm) = Gates 6471MC
To be checked by you, of course.

I forgot something: I use the sealant: "Perfect Seal LOWAC" in green color (other colors corresponding to other applications); it is a bit expensive but it is a high quality product resistant to various external factors, quite sticky and therefore not always easy to apply, with a fairly long drying time but which remains flexible.

Regards.
Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: 19HF27

Post by Bob Fell » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi Loulou,
Good info on the alternative Gates belts.
LOWAC - this is aircraft grade stuff, I'm assuming you used it for the water pump gasket? The LR workshop manual says to grease the gasket which is my intention, no evidence of any sealant used when I cleaned up the block mating surface.
Torque settings - I cannot find any reference to what they should be, do you know?
Bolts, there are 3 UNC's, no problem but of the 4 long UNF bolts there are two lengths but all the references I have only give one size, puzzling :?
The old water pump will be refurbed and put into stock.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

User avatar
Loulou
Pastry Chef
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Location: France

Re: 19HF27

Post by Loulou » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi Bob,

Yes Lowac (and Loctite) often meet in aeronautics. Indeed the workshop manual recommends grease, but I'm paranoid ...

As for the tightening torques, you are right, nothing is specified in the manuals that I have here at home.
Maybe in the Haynes manual, but it's the hard copy and he's in the workshop… Sorry.

Therefore (and I strongly suggest you wait for a comment from Neil / AE4412 on this), I worked by analogy with other screw diameter dimensions.
For the assembly of the filter support on the engine block the specified torque is: 3.45Kgf / 25Lbf-Ft
For the assembly of the oil sump (sump) the specified torque is: 1.65Kgf / 12Lbf-Ft
From memory, I therefore tightened to 2.50Kgf but it was in winter 2019 and therefore more than a year ago; I don't remember much, be careful…
Please wait for a reaction from Neil about this ...

For the bolts, it was also a big "mess", there was everything at any length and some were a little messed up because the "mechanics" had forced ...
So I used a length gauge and noted all the dimensions by comparing them with the Nato catalog of the LWT in the column, where the description of each part is.
The important thing is also to clean the thread and the bottom well because there is a lot of residue of sealing paste and oxidation: A thread tool and a cylindrical metal brush are very useful.

Hope this will be useful.
Good night.

Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: 19HF27

Post by Bob Fell » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:25 am

Hi Loulou
Thanks again for your help.
There's one long bolt I'm not happy with and want to replace but I cannot determine the part number as there's two differing lengths and looking it up in the green book is useless and the '82 parts fiche is only listing 4 bolts all the same length.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: 19HF27

Post by Bob Fell » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Water pump 5/16 bolt torque setting - from searching I'm coming out with 18 ft/lb - 25NM, reason is these bolts go into the block and the 5/16 head bolts torque settings are given at 18 ft/lb - is this logic sound?? I'm getting this from AULRO amongst others.

Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

Post Reply