Page 8 of 11

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:04 pm
by Sean7r
Once I've finished welding the bulkhead, that and a host of other parts and brackets will be galved .
The chassis has some more prepping to do on it, there are a lot of snots and sharps to sort out and then treat the galv with Mordant solution before painting it black.

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:31 pm
by Sean7r
I've just given it a coat of mordant solution and it's turned the galv a grey colour, once it's dried out it will be ready for the black paint, so do I brush it or roller it on?
Regards Sean

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:46 pm
by AR4412
Hi Sean,

Was that half a galvanized cat stuck to the underside of the outrigger? The chassis looks good. :mrgreen: Norman won't be happy that you've de-shinied it though, he likes shiny.

Regards,

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:27 pm
by Sean7r
Hi Neil , I had to look back at the picture LoL, that's an ornament pianted White. I can't leave it in the galv colour as it will more likely get stolen.
The lorry driver who returned the chassis was an ex Gurkha 20years service, he had his break after we unloaded the chassis, had a chat about the lightweight and many others vehicles. Very pleasant guy.

Regards Sean

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:18 pm
by AR4412
I painted my chassis for the same reason after I had it cleaned and re-galvanized, to disguise the fact it was galvanized from prying eyes, and to give it that little bit of extra protection as the galv had gone a bit thin at the rear of the chassis and across the top of the rear crossmember after twelve years of exposure to road salt and the elements. Plus the duller silver of the paint is more in keeping with the overall colour of the lightweight and will stay that colour.

To answer your earlier question, I brush painted mine.

I found that Gurkhas are on the whole a cheery bunch and I enjoyed the time I spent attached to them. Taking part in bicycle polo with them will be a happy, if painfull, memory. That and the fact that they will bet on absolutely anything. Love their curries too. :D

Regards,

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 pm
by Gordon Bennett
Hi Sean,

The chassis is looking superb :P

I agree with Neil and i'd brush paint it.

Rgds,
Gordon

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 am
by Sean7r
Brush it is then. Thanks guys for your comments and advice, I was going to stop the thread once I got this far, so should I carry on till the end, only reason I ask this is its not a lightweight I'm building ? Regards Sean

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:47 pm
by Gordon Bennett
Hi Sean,

I think you should keep it going as many are watching your progress with great interest.

Rgds,
Gordon

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:31 pm
by Vlaanderen
Hi Sean,

Please keep the thread going, it's damned interesting...........................and it's a Landie anyway.

Regards, Norman.

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:19 am
by Sean7r
Ok, I'll keep it going, there is still loads to do yet. I'll be fitting LPG to it, the same system I fitted to the lightweight, and a stainless exhaust system, LPG produces a lot of water and this rots the mild steel exhaust.
Regards Sean