Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Once I've finished welding the bulkhead, that and a host of other parts and brackets will be galved .
The chassis has some more prepping to do on it, there are a lot of snots and sharps to sort out and then treat the galv with Mordant solution before painting it black.
The chassis has some more prepping to do on it, there are a lot of snots and sharps to sort out and then treat the galv with Mordant solution before painting it black.
. S'ean.
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
I've just given it a coat of mordant solution and it's turned the galv a grey colour, once it's dried out it will be ready for the black paint, so do I brush it or roller it on?
Regards Sean
Regards Sean
- Attachments
-
- image.jpeg (217.98 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
. S'ean.
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Hi Sean,
Was that half a galvanized cat stuck to the underside of the outrigger? The chassis looks good.
Norman won't be happy that you've de-shinied it though, he likes shiny.
Regards,
Was that half a galvanized cat stuck to the underside of the outrigger? The chassis looks good.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Hi Neil , I had to look back at the picture LoL, that's an ornament pianted White. I can't leave it in the galv colour as it will more likely get stolen.
The lorry driver who returned the chassis was an ex Gurkha 20years service, he had his break after we unloaded the chassis, had a chat about the lightweight and many others vehicles. Very pleasant guy.
Regards Sean
The lorry driver who returned the chassis was an ex Gurkha 20years service, he had his break after we unloaded the chassis, had a chat about the lightweight and many others vehicles. Very pleasant guy.
Regards Sean
. S'ean.
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
I painted my chassis for the same reason after I had it cleaned and re-galvanized, to disguise the fact it was galvanized from prying eyes, and to give it that little bit of extra protection as the galv had gone a bit thin at the rear of the chassis and across the top of the rear crossmember after twelve years of exposure to road salt and the elements. Plus the duller silver of the paint is more in keeping with the overall colour of the lightweight and will stay that colour.
To answer your earlier question, I brush painted mine.
I found that Gurkhas are on the whole a cheery bunch and I enjoyed the time I spent attached to them. Taking part in bicycle polo with them will be a happy, if painfull, memory. That and the fact that they will bet on absolutely anything. Love their curries too.
Regards,
To answer your earlier question, I brush painted mine.
I found that Gurkhas are on the whole a cheery bunch and I enjoyed the time I spent attached to them. Taking part in bicycle polo with them will be a happy, if painfull, memory. That and the fact that they will bet on absolutely anything. Love their curries too.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
-
Gordon Bennett
- Maître Pâtissier
- Posts: 7422
- Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Hi Sean,
The chassis is looking superb
I agree with Neil and i'd brush paint it.
Rgds,
Gordon
The chassis is looking superb
I agree with Neil and i'd brush paint it.
Rgds,
Gordon
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Brush it is then. Thanks guys for your comments and advice, I was going to stop the thread once I got this far, so should I carry on till the end, only reason I ask this is its not a lightweight I'm building ? Regards Sean
. S'ean.
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
-
Gordon Bennett
- Maître Pâtissier
- Posts: 7422
- Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Hi Sean,
I think you should keep it going as many are watching your progress with great interest.
Rgds,
Gordon
I think you should keep it going as many are watching your progress with great interest.
Rgds,
Gordon
-
Vlaanderen
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Hi Sean,
Please keep the thread going, it's damned interesting...........................and it's a Landie anyway.
Regards, Norman.
Please keep the thread going, it's damned interesting...........................and it's a Landie anyway.
Regards, Norman.
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Ok, I'll keep it going, there is still loads to do yet. I'll be fitting LPG to it, the same system I fitted to the lightweight, and a stainless exhaust system, LPG produces a lot of water and this rots the mild steel exhaust.
Regards Sean
Regards Sean
. S'ean.
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT
1977 Royal Navy lightweight series 3 running LPG
1987 landrover 90 200TDI
1973 Series 3 civvi current project
Hayabusa1300
SP1
TL1000R
ZXR750 and 400
CBR600Fk and CBR600Fs
RD500LC
NS400R
VFR400R NC30
VFR400R NC24
ROYAL ENFIELD 650 GT
ROYAL ENFIELD 535 GT