Page 5 of 17

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:04 pm
by Bigdon1981
Cheers, I’ll see what I need once it’s sat on the chassis, will probably use heavy duty rubber so it’s all isolated and hopefully won’t corrode as much.

Cheers

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 pm
by Bigdon1981
Nearly there with the painting, going to undercoat the underside of the tub tomorrow ( might first coat it later) then I can put the first coat of green on on Monday.
Few more bits to come in the house on Tuesday, then I can start putting it all back together 😂
Donors front wings looking much better, surprised I got the off side one as straight as I did, they gave less holes in than the original ones.

A few issues to sort, including fuel pipe, battery cables etc. Thinking of using copper for the fuel pipe as it holds its shape, but I seem to remember that if it’s copper nikel it can cause issues?

Cheers

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:10 pm
by Bigdon1981
Productive day so far,
Crossmember marked up and fitted to tub, tub bulkhead trial fitted, tub squared up to it, drilled, glued and riveted.
Great fun trying to get it all squared up with not the best upper sides!

I bought some rivets last week but they were too short :roll: so had to use some large head rivets, not that bothered as seats will cover the heads :D

First coat of green on the wheel wells, will second tomorrow and get organised for the new floor supports then fit the new floor.

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:50 pm
by Bigdon1981
Hi all,
Busy day today, tub on, floor in, great time to find that the chassis isn’t the squarest 🙄😂
Still it’s on, front of the tub needs to go over a bit to line up with the bulkhead but due to the rear crossmember being out it’s not a problem with a spacer or 2.
Chassis is an old galv one from the early 90s so nothing on it is quite right😕
Yes I’ve put a line of rivets along the tailgate end of the floor, try to keep it a little more weather tight and the new floor supports came from britpart...... and galvanised........

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 pm
by Bigdon1981
Getting there with prepping for paint, had a fun morning with a tape measure on the chassis, fairly sure it’s bent due to previous owners airborne antics at off-road events etc🙄 re chassis next year unless I can shim it. Doesn’t help that all the outriggers are different sizes, bulkhead does need moving but not front to back, it needs to go over to the near side by 3-4mm.

Wondering what the paint the donor was done with, one side of the tub took 2 hours😳 paint sparks with a wire wheel and it goes almost the colour of a pink panther 2a at the first hint of sand paper🤔

Will get the other side prepped tomorrow then hopefully primer and under coat over the weekend.

Cheers

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm
by AR4412
Hi Don,

Don't let our Sid see that you've fitted Defender tub crossmembers to your Lightweight, he'll burst a blood vessel.

Proper NATO paint is a swine to remove, it took me hours to clean up my tub floor it was that thick. It looked like someone had poured a 5 litre tin in there and left it to go hard. When you rub down paint with Green paint IRR properties it does go a pinkish colour as you work your way through the top layer.

I hope you manage to square up the bulkhead, but to be fair 3mm is a tight tolerance in LR's build specs.

Regards,

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm
by Bigdon1981
😂 they are close enough, I had hoped to use the original ones but out of 6 there was only one good one, rest were getting religious or rotten.

Trial fitted the old seat box, tub front “wings” and a sill with the tub loose, I think some hammering and a few spacers it should near enough line up, as long as it doesn’t look like it’s going down the road sideways I’ll be ok with it.
Nowhere near as bad as a Richards chassis I had a few years ago for a defender, 15mm spacer on one side tank/tub outrigger, fuel tank didnt fit and nothing lined up, everything needed modifications. Where as my 90 with 2 inch body lift brackets etc from Richards ( see 2003 July I think LRE magazine) lines up perfect, still does after its rebuild a few years back.

Fingers crossed it will be half about😂

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:06 am
by Grumpy
Thanks for your latest posts. You have put them up just at the right time to help me replace my floor👍👍👍👍

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 pm
by Bigdon1981
Finished the last of the big bits today ready for filler later, make some big holes and then the first undercoat tomorrow, then fit the reinforcements to the front of the tub for second undercoat. Hope I’ve not missed too much on the prep side of things :roll:
Fingers crossed will be able to start bolting it back together soon :lol:
Found some numbers on the offside didn’t see any on the near side tho, tyre pressure?

Cheers

Re: 19FM37

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 pm
by Fossibear
Yes, normally there tyre pressure is written there in the middle over the rear wheel / axle