Page 5 of 11
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:26 pm
by Sean7r
my brother and I managed to get three hours in, and made a few brackets.
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:41 pm
by AR4412
Hi Sean,
Good to see you've got a bit more fabrication done.
Regards,
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:38 pm
by Sean7r
Thanks Neil, the weather and my shift pattern is dictating when my brother and I can get any work done.
Sean
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:14 pm
by Frankie
Hi Sean, This is very interesting. You will be able to tell from my questions that I know nothing about fabrication costs etc. Do you have any idea what it will cost you in raw materials and/or time? Also, would it have been as cheap to do it in stainless and save on the costs of having it galvanised? Presumably it's going to be cheaper than one from Richards/Designa Chassis etc?
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:23 pm
by Sean7r
Hi Frankie, I bought four sheets of 2mm steel, for just over £100, I've still got 1,1/4 sheets left, I've no idea how much electricity I've used welding and grinding, ive not used one real of wire yet (5kg) and the CO2 bottle has only just run out. I'm really enjoying this project and that is priceless.
Sean
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 pm
by Sean7r
Update: sorry for the delay on any updates but I was made redundant from my job and I've now started a new job, the chassis is 95% finished now, I'll add some more pictures soon.
Sean
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:12 pm
by hibbo
Sorry to hear about the redundancy

but congratulations on the new job

Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:00 pm
by Vlaanderen
Hi Sean,
Good to know you're around. Keep us updated.
Regards, Norman.
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:17 pm
by AR4412
Hi Sean,
I look forwards to seeing the update piccies, I've forgotten what a rust free chassis looks like.
Regards,
Re: Fabricating my own complete chassis (civvi S3)
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:37 pm
by minilandrover
Well done for getting a new job, not easy in present times....glad im retired....and im only 62.. but that came at a price...
can't wait to see the completed chassis...are you going to get it galvanised?? I was going to get mine done but money didn't allow...though it only takes a day to strip her down so one day it might get done, but i treated it to anti rust paint..but for you it would be a very good thing to do, just make sure there are plenty of drain holes so the hot dip get's in and drains out again....then you won't have to make another in 20 years time...You might not be up to it then...