Any Land Rover related info can be posted here.
-
AR4412
- Maître Pâtissier
- Posts: 8936
- Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
- Location: Bedford
Post
by AR4412 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:30 pm
Hiya Martin!

,
Looks good like that mate.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
-
landylees
- Pastry Chef
- Posts: 639
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
- Location: Bishops Stortford
Post
by landylees » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15 pm
Day off to paint my IIA, but it was strongly suggested that the growing pile of redundant and broken Land Rover parts at the side of the garage had to go (half a chassis, rear tub floor, 2 bent and rusty bumpers, seat back, petrol tanks, cannibalised bent wing, couple of rotten doors...). A good excuse to go to the tip in the Series 3, but this time I decided to go the scrap yard and got paid £20 for my troubles when it was weighed in!

- IMG_6604.jpg (911.31 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

- IMG_6605.jpg (853.5 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
-
andrewjsimpson1977
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3613
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
- Location: Befordshire
Post
by andrewjsimpson1977 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 pm
landylees wrote: ↑Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15 pm
Day off to paint my IIA, but it was strongly suggested that the growing pile of redundant and broken Land Rover parts at the side of the garage had to go (half a chassis, rear tub floor, 2 bent and rusty bumpers, seat back, petrol tanks, cannibalised bent wing, couple of rotten doors...). A good excuse to go to the tip in the Series 3, but this time I decided to go the scrap yard and got paid £20 for my troubles when it was weighed in!
IMG_6604.jpg
IMG_6605.jpg
I do hope said beer money wasn’t declared at the bank of Mrs L. What goes on at the scrap yard, stays at the scrap yard after all

-
AR4412
- Maître Pâtissier
- Posts: 8936
- Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
- Location: Bedford
Post
by AR4412 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:41 am
Hey, Andy.
That cut up bumper looks better than the one that was on your Lightweight when you got it. You could have put an offer in if you knew it was going as scrap.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
-
andrewjsimpson1977
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3613
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
- Location: Befordshire
Post
by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:31 pm
AR4412 wrote: ↑Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:41 am
Hey, Andy.
That cut up bumper looks better than the one that was on your Lightweight when you got it. You could have put an offer in if you knew it was going as scrap.
Regards,
Hi Neil, yes you’re not wrong it was definitely better than my original. I do still have one from Ridgy that needs straightening, but before I got around to it I met a Dutchman at Newbury whose prices were very reasonable, so a deal was done for Monty’s current steel ‘tache. I’ve probably got a fair few pints worth of scrap steel lying around when I finally get around to emptying the outhouses... it’s the ultimate wife-proof beer fund

-
landylees
- Pastry Chef
- Posts: 639
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
- Location: Bishops Stortford
Post
by landylees » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 pm
There were two bumpers in there; one had actually rotted through which I thought was impossible given the thickness of the metal and the second I had tried to straighten with an oxy-acetylene torch!
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]
-
andrewjsimpson1977
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3613
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
- Location: Befordshire
Post
by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:30 pm
landylees wrote: ↑Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 pm
There were two bumpers in there; one had actually rotted through which I thought was impossible given the thickness of the metal and the second I had tried to straighten with an oxy-acetylene torch!
Makes me feel better, although you know Neil would have repaired it with a lighter and a can of lynx Africa just to show us who’s boss

-
Jiml
- Pastry Chef
- Posts: 644
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:56 pm
- Location: Burnley Lancashire
-
Contact:
Post
by Jiml » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Suddenly lost power after driving 40 miles, luckily I was close to home and got a tow from a friendly guy in a defender. nothing good happening in the dizzy so decided to fit an electronic ignition and new leads plugs coil etc. So now working with a Lumenition optronic ignition system. it says I will get better fuel economy (I did laugh at that). Anyway never sounded better and working fine. If anyone wants my old system I'm happy to pass it on.
52HG42 my current love interest
-
LarryH57
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 pm
Post
by LarryH57 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:19 pm
I bought electronic ignition from Simonbbc (strange name great product)
https://simonbbc.com/
It really helped with starting and the beauty is it may be removed and the original put back.
Also no drilling and once fitted it is invisible so keeps the original look!
-
Mash
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 9:49 am
Post
by Mash » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:05 pm
Pick these up from my storage location:

- 51F3229F-FD94-41E7-92E4-9A03279A4094.jpeg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Depending how the XCLs do over the next week will decide if these get fitted whilst I save for the correct pattern set.