Page 3 of 17
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:45 pm
by andrewjsimpson1977
AR4412 wrote: ↑Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm
I think if I was to buy a Classic while the house is still full of Lightweight, I would be de-balled by the good lady.
Regards,
Still worth it. If the radio works, at least you can sing soprano along to the high-brow tunes on Classic FM while you tinker with the Rangey. You’ve no use for them at your age anyway bud

Re: 19FM37
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 pm
by AR4412
How rude!
Regards,
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:06 pm
by andrewjsimpson1977
AR4412 wrote: ↑Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 pm
How rude!
Regards,
Loving the early photos of stripdown on this truck..there’s something very cool about them in the ‘just recovered’ state, before the work really starts. - please keep the photos coming.
Andy
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm
by Bigdon1981
Bit more spraying today, far from perfect but it’s got a shine! Dog fluff getting everywhere, at least the bonnet needs a second coat!
Nearly time to start hiding the painted parts in the house, at least my girlfriend is fairly understanding

Doesn’t help that I’ve ordered 3 air regulators with water traps and none gave turned up, all lost
Decided to use the donors front wings, neither are split at the top next to the rad panel which is good and both have the mirror reinforcement.
I don’t suppose anyone has cad drawings for the two front side panels on the tub, the tub crossmember and the tub bulkhead?
I’ve found a company local that can make a load, they just don’t like copying old nasty parts


I don’t think it’s going to be easy to do cardboard templates lol
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:00 pm
by Bigdon1981
Quick question lol,
Any ideas what the 3 holes are on both front wings? Pinched the pic off google, the donor wings have all 3 drilled out, I think the donor was ffr, not sure.
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 pm
by AR4412
Hi Don,
The three holes, drilled out on the FFR wings, are for mounting a TUAAM. (Tuning Unit, Automatic, Antenna Matching.)
Regards,
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:22 pm
by Bigdon1981
Ar4412, cheers did think they were, I won’t fill them as I might put a couple on ( at least in the correct holes lol)
Did any GS spec have the dexion racking in the tub? I’m thinking about fitting it as will be a dog guard almost lol.
I think mine lead a sheltered life in storage at VSD’s , the hard life started when it left the army lol.
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm
by Bigdon1981
More prep and painting today, first bits are in the house too
Donors front wings are in very good condition, not that straight along the edge along the side but with a bit more hammering and twisting they should be half about.
A hammer, a decent scraper that you can hit with the hammer, a hot air gun and a gallon of petrol got the under seal off the inner wings, I stink now
Cheers
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:16 pm
by Callum123
Looking great! Looks like you’ve got a lot of work on there.. the only positive I can take from this lockdown is all the time you can spend on your landy
Re: 19FM37
Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm
by removeduser185
It's brilliant when the original paint starts to appear, though isn't it? That's how I cleaned mine and it works really well. One thing which did make me wonder, though, was why there are so many holes in the inner wings! What are they all for? Incidentally, as on mine, your mudshield brackets are shot. I followed Neil's advice and used Tigerseal to fix new, homemade aluminium ones on and that worked a treat.