Stu's Tdi project

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Thu May 14, 2020 8:03 am

AR4412 wrote: ↑
Thu May 14, 2020 7:59 am
Yeah! Stu's back! :D

:D X!

Regards,
Blimey that was quick Neil 😄
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by AR4412 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:08 am

:D

Right place and time, and all that mate. Glad your sorting through the post rebuild niggles.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:36 am

The back brakes lights ended up just being an Earth so all sorted.

Oil temp must have been a connection because it now worked after disconnecting and refitting.

The water temp was a faulty gauge in the 3 gauge cluster which sucks as it was new 2 years ago. My mate and I tried for ages to get this to work an eventually his father in law found it. He’s a 40 year experienced Honda bike mechanic. We had a spare one from a 108 which fitted and appeared to work ok.

Next thing was a test drive and at the first lay-by I pulled over due to no speedo. That was simply it wasn’t pushed in enough after removing the dash.
Unfortunately the water temp kept going up until it was past the red. It wasn’t an over heating issue as I checked everything was good in the engine bay and the oil temp was only on 80 degrees c. I drove 30 miles without a problem and I’m thinking this may be an Earthing issue.

At least I’m starting to iron out the faults slowly and it actually gets driven. 😃

This week I’m going to measure the bolts that hold on the thermostat housing cover. I assume I have the original ones because they are rusty already, despite having treated with the oiling kit (waste of money). Hopefully I will source some nice shiny stainless steel ones to stop it letting my engine bay down.

I will post some pictures when I can remember how to do it.
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Just a quick update, after taking the dash apart again I found it was an Earthing issue with the new secondhand fuel gauge and working correctly now. So it appears a 109 gauge is virtually the same.
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Sun May 22, 2022 8:48 pm

After a long break from doing anything on my Lwt I managed to get out for a drive in it this weekend. We took the suspension apart and did some cleaning and minor twerks which resulted in a much improved ride with less bounce.
Also spaced the back of the transfer box with another gasket and the rough sounding noise from I believe the bearing has now gone.
Jobs to do are:
Fit new rubber on the top of the door as the oem ones were slightly too tight.
Sort out the water and oil temp gauges which now don’t work.
Some general cleaning and minor paint to keep things spot on. One thing that stood out is the deteriorating pair on the axle end caps. Easy fix to remove, paint and refit.
With only 560 miles done in the last couple of years I’d like to get a couple of thousand done this year before doing a service and change all of the drivetrain oil.
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:29 pm

Everything is running great except the noise from I think the transfer box. No noise under 40mph, but over 50/60 there is an unhealthy noise when I take my foot off the throttle, I have tried being in neutral and pressing the clutch pedal, but it is still there.

The transfer box was the only thing not totally reconditioned as it was going ok before the conversion. I have now decided to recondition it just to be safe, especially as I have a rebuilt gearbox, new old stock complete front axle and reconditioned rear diff with an Ashcroft ltd slip diff in the rear. So far I am drawing a blank to including all the parts including the shat assembly gear. Is there anywhere that specialises in selling the parts for or whole Trans boxes? Also do they have specific numbers like the gearboxes?

I will take some pictures when I get it off and strip it down.
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
Keith
Pastry Chef
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:40 pm
Location: Ayrshire

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by Keith » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 am

Great update and good to see boggles being ironed out. A trip to Scotland I’m presuming will see a few miles on the clock. 😃

Keith
Close Protection Officer
VIP transport, travel & accommodation

User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:06 am

Keith wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 am
Great update and good to see boggles being ironed out. A trip to Scotland I’m presuming will see a few miles on the clock. 😃

Keith
I would love to come back again with the Lwt Keith but I have to get it spot on for a trip that would end up being 2000 miles.😁

I am convinced the transmission noise is coming from the transfer box. So far we have changed oil, the spacer gasket for end float with several different widths and had a bit of a locating issue with the high ratio gear, but no better.

The transfer box appeared in good condition when we took it apart but it is the only thing in the drivetrain that was not replaced/refurbed. It’s a job for the Winter so currently buying as many new or preferably oem original old stock parts.
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
StuWright
Master Baker
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by StuWright » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:30 pm

I have been running my Lwt on rear wheel drive only with no prop shaft going to the front. The intention was to do the front prop once I have fixed the not so happy sounding noise coming from the gearbox area. I have always had that noise and have taken the box and transfer box off twice trying to isolate it. We a mate of mines brother is an independent LR mech and suggested it is worth trying with the prop on because sometimes strange vibrations have nowhere to go when no prop is attached.

Well to get the prop on was a problem because the angle meant it would touch the cross member and then the length will need to be customs again. After cutting a small recess and having it welded the cross member has the room needed now and after several test fits a rear TD5 prop fits. I will still have to do some longer trips to get everything nice and hot but it does appear to have stopped the noise.

A new Earth has been ran to the dash and after lots of messing about both the oil and water temperature gauges now work.

A leak from a fuel line connection to the fuel filter has been spotted and fixed.

Every now and then when I went over a big bump there was a metal on metal clunk. Trying to spot this has been impossible because nothing appeared to touch and even if I stand on the bumper and jump up and down there isn't much movement. The one thing I have learned owning a Lwt is you can hear a noise and it can originate from a different place from where you think it is coming from. Well it was a spring hanger just touching on another part that the mech spotted when doing the prop and he simply machined off 2mm of metal and all sorted. :D
Thanks

Stu

55AM52 Ex RAF Land Rover Lightweight GS

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Stu's Tdi project

Post by AR4412 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:10 pm

Hiya Stu! :D ,

Good to hear you seem to eliminated the transmission vibration you were suffering, and have sorted a few other niggles too. 8-)

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

Post Reply