An addition to the fleet
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: An addition to the fleet
After a night parked on a tarpaulin it was all but drip free this morning. Just one drip and I suspect that was some of the residue still in the foam of the under-engine soundproofing which was sodden with oil, diesel and water from road splash. Anyway, I took it for a 14-mile test drive with a couple of stops to look at the engine and everything seemed to be as it should: a dry engine with the old damp patch on the exhaust downpipe nicely burned off. Sounded great and it was a pleasure to be behind the wheel again. So thanks for all the advice - as ever, it's much appreciated and certainly helps - after all, doing this myself saved a great deal of time and money.
Re: An addition to the fleet
Great to hear you have solved the problem at last.
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: An addition to the fleet
Thanks Richard, I noticed the, "at last" in your post. Yes, reading back through my posts it is quite apparent I don't go in for problems which are solved quickly. This is, of course, due to the fact that, mechanically, I don't really know what I'm doing! The things which mechanics would take in their stride and solve without mention, I find baffling in the extreme. This issue being a case in point. When I first mentioned the matter to my friendly garage proprietor in town he suggested it might be diesel and from the FPR. He even pointed it all out to me on a Td5 Defender he had in his workshop. Didn't stop me remaining convinced it was oil for a considerable time thereafter. Some people have a natural affinity with engines (Neil) and understand them to the degree where everything is explainable. I still remain amazed that all those oily bits can whirr round 3-4000 times a minute for years on end!
But, even slower than my ability to diagnose is the speed at which I rebuild my confidence in a machine after such an issue. I'll be expecting it to fail for weeks to come now until my, fortunately poor, memory forgets that there had been an issue at all. Ho hum.
Still - nearly time for the tilt to come off the Lightweight for the summer!
But, even slower than my ability to diagnose is the speed at which I rebuild my confidence in a machine after such an issue. I'll be expecting it to fail for weeks to come now until my, fortunately poor, memory forgets that there had been an issue at all. Ho hum.
Still - nearly time for the tilt to come off the Lightweight for the summer!
Re: An addition to the fleet
Just a tad early to be thinking of the canvas coming off after I woke up to a covering of snow this morning. At my time of life, I like the warmth.
I understand about the confidence feeling though. When Management moves her car, I aim to give the LWT a run out after all my winter tinkering. After s week of messing around trying to discover why both ignition and oil pressure lights were not working, I discovered that the oil pressure bulb had burnt out, welding itself to the plastic holder. At least problems resolved.
Just have faith Fred that your endeavours will hold up.
I understand about the confidence feeling though. When Management moves her car, I aim to give the LWT a run out after all my winter tinkering. After s week of messing around trying to discover why both ignition and oil pressure lights were not working, I discovered that the oil pressure bulb had burnt out, welding itself to the plastic holder. At least problems resolved.
Just have faith Fred that your endeavours will hold up.
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: An addition to the fleet
Well this thread is all about leaks, so I might as well seek advice for my latest. I am losing coolant with no apparent leak. The oill is clean, there is no while exhaust and the engine runs well. But... although it passed the sniff test, there is a slight pressurising of the expansion tank. So... probably head gasket. My local garage isn't keen to tkae it on and suggests I can do it myself. Hmm... two things, though, will the head need skimming and, if so, can you skim a Td5 head?
V8power, suggests trying steel seal having used it extensively on a number of engines over the years and the reviews suggest it might be a good solution. Any contrary views or specifics relating to a Td5? Given that it is clearly, at the moment at least, a minor issue, I am inclined to give it a whirl.
V8power, suggests trying steel seal having used it extensively on a number of engines over the years and the reviews suggest it might be a good solution. Any contrary views or specifics relating to a Td5? Given that it is clearly, at the moment at least, a minor issue, I am inclined to give it a whirl.
Re: An addition to the fleet
Bit late for a response but have you had it pressure tested for leaks yet. Usual culprits on the td5 apart from the rad are core plugs on the o/s of the engine, aluminium washer on the threaded bung between the webs on the ex manifold ant the steel tree pipe at the bottom of the engine.
The aluminium washer doesn’t show sometimes as it evaporates quick.
Regards
Johnny
The aluminium washer doesn’t show sometimes as it evaporates quick.
Regards
Johnny
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: An addition to the fleet
Many thanks for that response, Johnny and, no, it isn't too late. I have been quiet on here for the last week or so as I am busy fitting a new kitchen but the saga of the Discovery continues. I bought some Steel Seal and, because, to flush the system thoroughly you need to remove the alternator and the fan, I asked the local garage to do it as the car was with them for an MoT last Wednesday anyway. At about 11 o'clock in the morning last Wednesday I had a call from the garage: it failed its MoT on a couple of issues, one of which is the suspension mountings for the rear NS airbag. They would have a look and see what could be done and, before putting the steel seal in they would do a pressure test. They would ring me back later. Of course, being a local garage, they didn't ring back. SO I rang them... no answer left a message. Rang again got the receptionist, "the mechanic will ring you back - he's with a customer. He didn't. I rang again twice on Thursday and left a message. No response. So, I decided I'd wait and see if they were getting bored with it on their forecourt. So far, I presume they aren't as I have heard no more. I shall leave it until Tuesday and, if I haven't heard by then, I'll pop in and see them. Funnily enough, they also detected a fuel leak from the rear of the engine. If it turns out to be that Fuel Pressure Regulator which I replaced recently, I shall be quite cross. So... all in all, not too good news on the Discovery front at the moment. I hope it is all recoverable as I do so enjoy driving it, but, they are devils at that age and can soo become beyond economic repair. Anyway, thanks for your advice. We'll see what the garage comes up with - assuming they haven't been spirited away by aliens.