Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
I will soon be taking ownership of a S2a LtWt. and I am wondering what is the easiest way to set it up for towing a civi caravan.
It has the NATO hook and electric socket and while I would like a Sankey and 9x9 tent, those TA days are long past. I need to tow my caravan with ball hitch and 7 pin connection. I have a Dixon Bate slide and two sliders and am happy doing vehicle electrics - I am well familiar with the dark arts of Lucas wiring !
Can I fix the Dixon Bate slide straight onto the rear crossmember or does it involve extra holes etc ?
I can borrow a NATO plug temporarily that has a 7 pin socket wired on or could make my own. But having seen the price of NATO plugs, should I look to replace the NATO socket or add a civi socket on the rear somewhere ?
What have you done, how easy was it and is it practical in use ?
Thanks
Ian
It has the NATO hook and electric socket and while I would like a Sankey and 9x9 tent, those TA days are long past. I need to tow my caravan with ball hitch and 7 pin connection. I have a Dixon Bate slide and two sliders and am happy doing vehicle electrics - I am well familiar with the dark arts of Lucas wiring !
Can I fix the Dixon Bate slide straight onto the rear crossmember or does it involve extra holes etc ?
I can borrow a NATO plug temporarily that has a 7 pin socket wired on or could make my own. But having seen the price of NATO plugs, should I look to replace the NATO socket or add a civi socket on the rear somewhere ?
What have you done, how easy was it and is it practical in use ?
Thanks
Ian
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
I think it will depend on the hole spacings on the DB drop plate as to whether it will fit the military chassis NATO hook holes, as some only have two holes, some have four, and IIRC some have differing four hole spacings. There are dedicated 'military' drop plates available out there.
In the early 90's I made a drop plate to tow a twin axle trailer on the back of a military 109 for an expedition to Morocco. Fairly easy when you have a pillar drill to chew through 1/2" steel plate. I also converted a spare NATO trailer harness plug to mate it to a civilian 7 pin trailer socket as a link harness. Prices and availability these days would probably make that a non starter. (The parts were free to me when I did the conversion.) You could fit suitable bullet connectors to the 7 core trailer socket harness and swap the relevant connectors over in the rear rear wheel arch, or tee into the original trailer socket loom so you can run NATO or 7 pin sockets without having to swap wires around. Probably the route I wouild take if I didn't still have my home made conversion harness.
IIRC the hole sacings for the NATO hook are 85mm x 45mm, but would need to re-measure one to confirm.
Regards,
In the early 90's I made a drop plate to tow a twin axle trailer on the back of a military 109 for an expedition to Morocco. Fairly easy when you have a pillar drill to chew through 1/2" steel plate. I also converted a spare NATO trailer harness plug to mate it to a civilian 7 pin trailer socket as a link harness. Prices and availability these days would probably make that a non starter. (The parts were free to me when I did the conversion.) You could fit suitable bullet connectors to the 7 core trailer socket harness and swap the relevant connectors over in the rear rear wheel arch, or tee into the original trailer socket loom so you can run NATO or 7 pin sockets without having to swap wires around. Probably the route I wouild take if I didn't still have my home made conversion harness.
IIRC the hole sacings for the NATO hook are 85mm x 45mm, but would need to re-measure one to confirm.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
Just chasing this up a little.
My DB drop slider frame has the civi crossmember spacing (not surprisingly), so won't transfer across to the LtWt.
I have had a search on the internet but haven't come across the ones spoken about above that have the correct spacing for a Mil chassis. Can anyone help by recommending a source or provide a link to any available ?
Source of a NATO trailer plug would be good too.
I am going to post in the wanted section but appreciate any help in case there is no response there.
Thanks
My DB drop slider frame has the civi crossmember spacing (not surprisingly), so won't transfer across to the LtWt.
I have had a search on the internet but haven't come across the ones spoken about above that have the correct spacing for a Mil chassis. Can anyone help by recommending a source or provide a link to any available ?
Source of a NATO trailer plug would be good too.
I am going to post in the wanted section but appreciate any help in case there is no response there.
Thanks
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
For the NATO part. My Sankey had been converted to 7 Pin. But as my LW still had the NATO socket I made up a conversion cable.
That way I can use The Sankey on either my LW or my Defender 90. So best option for you is probably just fit a 7 pin (or 13) standard socket on a bracket and fix it to the bumper. Then just splice the wires you need.
certainly the cheepst option. But if you want to keep use the NATO socket there are conversion cables (expensive) or buy a NATO plug got mine from ebay for around 60
All the best Simon
That way I can use The Sankey on either my LW or my Defender 90. So best option for you is probably just fit a 7 pin (or 13) standard socket on a bracket and fix it to the bumper. Then just splice the wires you need.
certainly the cheepst option. But if you want to keep use the NATO socket there are conversion cables (expensive) or buy a NATO plug got mine from ebay for around 60
All the best Simon
Lightweight GS series 3. 1976 - ex Saudi National Guard
Defender 90 2005
Defender 130 Pulse Ambulance 1998.
Sankey Wide Track 1985 Ex Royal Artillery
Defender 90 2005
Defender 130 Pulse Ambulance 1998.
Sankey Wide Track 1985 Ex Royal Artillery
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
You can fit a 7-pin civilian socket on the bumper and splice the wires. It’s the easiest and cheapest option. If you want to keep the NATO socket, you can get conversion cables, but they are more expensive.
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
@anupkumar
Thanks. Have decided to go one step further and fit a 13 pin socket as a bit of future proofing.
Anyone have a photo of where/how they fitted an extra socket to their L/R's rear-crossmember ?
Thanks. Have decided to go one step further and fit a 13 pin socket as a bit of future proofing.
Anyone have a photo of where/how they fitted an extra socket to their L/R's rear-crossmember ?
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
Depending on the type of mounting bracket purchased for the socket, it may be possible to drill holes in it, or use an existing hole in it, to mount it to the convoy lamp bracket so that it faces downwards just behind the rear crossmember, to the side of the tow hook. Alternatively, on the bottom edge of the rear crossmember, there should be a hole a couple of inches in from the chassis main rail that could be used to mount a socket on its bracket.
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: Easiest set up for civilian trailer ?
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."