73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Wondering about the military history of your Land Rover? Discuss it here
Post Reply
SteveSwann
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm

73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Post by SteveSwann » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the process of re-attepting to get the above off of its current Q plate and on to a March 74 registration.

It doesnt show on MERLIN (£5 donated) but I think I've had some success with the RLC website - in as much as they are sending me its "B Card" in exchange for £35.

The BMIHT are also sending me a duplicate and up to date reissue of thier certificate for a similar exchange of £27.

DVLA state that these should accompany a cover letter fron an Owners Club, or such like - along with photos of front, back, side, under, inner, chassis plate and so on.

The chassis number is not in question, as its already on the V5C, but the "First Registration" reads 29 Jan 1987.

I had a similar issue with an ex Mil S3 SWB, which I could never do a proper search for insurance due to the year of manufacture versus year of first reg (obvs of when it service)

Any recommendations as to who would offer up this "Cover Letter"?

As a sub note - any pointers to someone that could produce a good repro military number plate?

Cheers
Steve
73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT with Disco1 diesel and diffs.

SteveSwann
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm

Re: 73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Post by SteveSwann » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:19 pm

just to close the question. I now have the B Card details from RLC archive. Really impressed with the swift turnaround on that, and a BMIHT re-issue cert is on its way

I've posted elsewhere too, but briefly for those interested;

Into service Jan 74 (though BMIHT state March 74)

1 RGJ until 78

then
3 Queens
1 R Hamps
2 R Irish

June 86 off to Britich Car Auctions.
Steve
73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT with Disco1 diesel and diffs.

Airdropable
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Re: 73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Post by Airdropable » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 am

SteveSwann wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:54 pm

As a sub note - any pointers to someone that could produce a good repro military number plate?
A little late I know, but I was thinking of trying Chestnut Registrations. Thier web page states they have vintage MOD style plates:

http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk ... lates.aspx

diffwhine
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Re: 73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Post by diffwhine » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am

Steve,
Would strongly recommend that before you go any further dealing with DVLA that you talk to Peter Holden. He is the Vehicle Registration Officer of the Series 2 Club which covers your vehicle. The S2C is approved by DVLA to provide supporting documentation and inspection in these cases for S2 and S3 vehicles and can probably save you a lot of grief. Contact details are on the S2C website (www.series2club.co.uk). There are a lot of S2C members who are part of the Military Lightweight Club and the Series One Club as well, so its well covered!

Your cover letter could therefore be issued by the Series 2 Club, but it would need to be inspected first probably.

You don't say where you are based, but if you are South East, let me know and I might be able to help.

SteveSwann
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm

Re: 73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Post by SteveSwann » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:30 pm

diffwhine wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am


You don't say where you are based, but if you are South East, let me know and I might be able to help.
Many thanks for the above. I am South Cambs (Cambridge) / North Essex (Saffron Walden) area. I've taken lots of pictures of my vehicle now and a short video. The chassis number isnt in dispute as that is already on record, as is the switch to a diesel engine. I dont know what caused a previous rejection but I think its most probably the lask of supporting evidence. I think I have this now and will contact your recommendation straight away.

Steve
Steve
73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT with Disco1 diesel and diffs.

diffwhine
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Re: 73FM64 LIGHTWEIGHT HISTORY AND DOCS?

Post by diffwhine » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:11 pm

Talk it through with Peter and let us know how you get on. If you want help on details on the early 2A LWTs, let me know.
Worth joining the Series 2 Club to get the full support. Its not expensive.

Post Reply