**HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Any Land Rover related info can be posted here.
Post Reply
NichollsA
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:16 pm

**HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by NichollsA » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:26 am

Good morning,

I really didn't want to do this, but after removing the rear tub off the chassis I've discovered irreparable corrosion. I would love any help or advice on chassis replacement, good ones, bad ones, how difficult is the task if you've never done it before? I have a very basic knowledge, but you have to start somewhere.

I started on the interior, and planned to stop there, however that time has passed. I might as well rebuild the engine (I'll contract that out, how much should I expect to pay?) Are there any manuals or publications that detail the rebuild process for someone with very basic knowledge.

Really guys, any help would be appreciated, if anyone is happy to have a PM conversation that would be great.

Kind regards

Andy

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: **HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by landylees » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:36 am

Andy,

There is a lot of experience on this forum, I would probably start by taking a few photos and letting people provide their advice. Maybe the chassis isn't as bad as you think? There are other options such as a rear quarter/cross-member etc.

Replacing the chassis is a major undertaking and as you have already found out, the more bits you remove the more problems you will find! Depending on how pedantic you are (I seem to be getting more pedantic with age), you could end up refurbishing/rebuilding everything you take off - the parts are 44 years old!

There are a lot of these types of rebuilds on this forum, including my most recent one, so reading one of these will give you an idea what is involved, skills and tools required and the types of problems that you will come across. The green bible "Repair Operation Manual Land Rover Series 3" will also guide you in removing and putting back together the various components.

When I started tinkering, having a local Land Rover friend who can pop round and advise when you get stuck is always very helpful!

So I would post some photos of what you have found and see what people think.

Howard
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: **HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by removeduser185 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:19 am

You're in exactly the same place as I was. I bought my Lightweight intending just to run it and fiddle. So I paid more than I ought, because it soon became clear that I would get more fun out of the full rebuild it actually needed. I had never done anything like it before, the extent of my mechanical,experience had been swapping an engine in my Marina many yesrs ago. But, actually, with help from this forum, it turned out to be relatively straightforward and great fun. As Howard says, get hold of the Repair Operations Manual and study it. You also need a copy of the three parts lists: the one for standard Series IIIs, the one for the Lightweight and the one for the accessories. I can send you these on a disk if it would help. Then, have a look at the various rebuild threads on here. I followed Neil's AR4412 and Chris's Chipbury. Now there are others as well. You will find that, as you strip it (and photo,bag and label everything you remove) that there will be more corrosion than you thought. I needed a new tub floor and front tub crossmember for example. But, don't worry as everything is available, though not always cheaply. Set up a watch on eBay andmake alist of the suppliers such as Blanchards, LR Series, Paddocks, the various fastener and paint suppliers and be methodical. It is great fun and you will enjoy it and get a great sense of achievement once you have done it. I often look back at the photos of my rebuild and find it difficult to believe I did it, but,there it is. So, good luck, use the forum and enjoy.

Ridgy
Pastry Chef
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: **HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by Ridgy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Good advice above Andy. If you put your approx location on your profile then others on here can see where you are and you might get a volunteer /mentor if you turn out to live right near one of the sage members. You never know.

Do you have plenty of space to store a dismantled vehicle and rolling chassis? I didnt, so had to farm the rebuild out (but it got done quicker albeit more expensively).

Not sure about engine prices but how bad is it? If it runs ok without smoking or rattling it's probably ok. Could try ACR or Turners Engineering who are both well known.

As Howard and Fred have said, the whole thing will snowball when you start, but it'll be worth it if you plan to keep it as you'll know it's right and you won't stand there looking at bits you wish you'd done while it was apart. Take a deep breath and go for it!

Cheers

Steve
57 KB 58 1983 SIII GS Lightweight

diffwhine
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Re: **HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by diffwhine » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 am

If I could save my 1968 LWT chassis, then I'd suggest that virtually anything is repairable, so don't despair!
As suggested, photos and location would be a great help. If I'm anywhere near, I'd be more than happy to advise on options having been through this pain multiple times both privately and commercially. I'm just about to start on a similar exercise on a civilian late 2A for somebody, so more shout if you want advice. PM me if need be and we can take it off line.
Plenty of quality parts available, so with a competent metal sticky machine and operator, most things are achievable. Not sure where my threads are on here as I haven't updated my rebuild thread for some time, but if you do a search, you might get some useful detail on what I've been up against.

NichollsA
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:16 pm

Re: **HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by NichollsA » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:58 am

Thank you for your replies everyone, I'm near Preston, Lancashire.

Landie68
Master Baker
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm
Location: Herefordshire

Re: **HELP** New chassis / 1976 vehicle

Post by Landie68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:18 pm

We need pictures, we love pretty pictures we do :D X!
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

Post Reply