Hello,
I’ve got a very similar looking helmet from a friend of mine whose father served with the Household Cavalry:
But the helmet just has one elastic chin strap - not like in the picture here.
What helmet is it then?
And: has someone got the inner helmet- the stuff in my helmet is sticky and rotten?
Regards, Steve
Para helmet
Para helmet
It's supposed to look like that, it's crochet...
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: Para helmet
Yours will be an AFV crewman's helmet. They were the same shell as the para helmet, but fitted with a standard liner and chinstrap similar to the one used in the MkIV (turtle) helmet. I have one as, before I joined, a unit I was in was armoured and they were still in the inventory. So, as it is so much more comfortable than a MkIV, I kept it when I left and carried on using it until the plastic ones came into service. You should be able to find a liner fairly easily - they comprise the pressed fibreboard spider which is attached to the helmet at the top with a "lift the dot" clip. This then fits a headband of the same material with a foam rubber insert attached with press studs. There is then a sort of olive drab stocking which goes over the headband, held in place by the press studs and folds up into the crown. This is the washable bit (apparently - I don't recall ever washing mine!) It is a sort of stretchy fabric not unlike the material used in 1970s knickers (apparently...) If yours is sticky, then I expect it is the foam in the headband which has broken down over time - possibly helped by insect repellent and the like.
Re: Para helmet
Sounds like you have a tankers helmet, the same basic shell with slight variation was used by the Para's as per your photo, the Navy, RM and armoured vehicle crew has one as you discribe with a single strap and dispatch riders had one with ear flaps built-in.
Hope that helps
Shaun
Hope that helps
Shaun

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?
Tring, Hertfordshire
Re: Para helmet
Hi Fred, hi Shaun,
ah, ok, then I suggest that the father of my friend had it perhaps in use also in Cyprus when he was in service there with the UN. I guess that he needed a lot of insect repellent over there
I am sure, that there were no earflaps fixed.
And thank you very much both - now I know, what I’ve got there since decades!
Regards, Steve
ah, ok, then I suggest that the father of my friend had it perhaps in use also in Cyprus when he was in service there with the UN. I guess that he needed a lot of insect repellent over there
I am sure, that there were no earflaps fixed.
And thank you very much both - now I know, what I’ve got there since decades!
Regards, Steve
It's supposed to look like that, it's crochet...
Re: Para helmet
Sorry - can’t find what AFV stands for...
It's supposed to look like that, it's crochet...
Re: Para helmet
Armoured fighting vehicle