Page 1 of 1

Choke-on warning light operation

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 10:19 pm
by VictorLymbery
Evening all,

My choke-on warning light has always been inop since I bought the car. It is missing the switch on the back of the choke pull knob to provide a pos feed and my engine has long been replaced with one without the otter switch position near the thermostat to provide an earth. Not that any of this really matters... but I just like things to work.

I have just checked the evil bay and I will certainly NOT be buying a choke knob switch for £60 or £70 or an otter switch for £100+ (assuming that my cylinderhead had a hole to put it in...)

Thinking laterally, I have just purchased a delay-on relay for £2.85 whch I intend to fit into the choke-on warning light circuit. The idea being that on turning the ignition on, the delay starts to count up to a preset value (say 10 minutes) and turns the "time to push choke in" light on. I am sure with a little imagination I can discretely place a small push switch to cancel the warning light to replicate the choke being pushed in.

Obviously I have more time on my hands than I should have and you all will presumably confirm my own opinion that I'm going round the twist, but it's cheap as chips and I'm going to try it, I'll keep you informed...

All the best,

Victor

Re: Choke-on warning light operation

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:57 am
by AR4412
Hi Victor,

Did you manage to cobble something together to give you a working choke warning light?

Regards,