03 GF 12
-
VictorLymbery
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 pm
03 GF 12
Hi all, I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago when I acquired my GS lightweight. Having had a bit of a play with it, I now have my first question for the forum.
I have a series 3 which has a flat fan-heater box, which seems usual for the type. However it doesn't fit well and consequently the instrument panel doesn't fit either. My fan box has two slotted fixings at the bottom, which seems okay, but the same type of fittings are also at the top, secured by pan headed screws, which prevent the lower edge of the instrument panel fitting flush.
I have seen pics of a similar sort of fan box but with vertical threaded studs at the top which then attach to an angle section piece which is then secured under the two lower instrument panel screws. This makes more sense than what I have got.
My question is: do I have the correct heater and it is not fitted correctly, or do I need to find one with the threaded studs (and a piece of angle?)
Any input would be very welcome,
Many thanks,
Victor
I have a series 3 which has a flat fan-heater box, which seems usual for the type. However it doesn't fit well and consequently the instrument panel doesn't fit either. My fan box has two slotted fixings at the bottom, which seems okay, but the same type of fittings are also at the top, secured by pan headed screws, which prevent the lower edge of the instrument panel fitting flush.
I have seen pics of a similar sort of fan box but with vertical threaded studs at the top which then attach to an angle section piece which is then secured under the two lower instrument panel screws. This makes more sense than what I have got.
My question is: do I have the correct heater and it is not fitted correctly, or do I need to find one with the threaded studs (and a piece of angle?)
Any input would be very welcome,
Many thanks,
Victor
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 03 GF 12
This is what your heater should look like.
Sounds like a previous owner has modified the top fixings.
Two studs at the top of the heater box fixed to a thin ali angle that tucks under the dash panel.
An easy fix if your heater is correct.
Sounds like a previous owner has modified the top fixings.
Two studs at the top of the heater box fixed to a thin ali angle that tucks under the dash panel.
An easy fix if your heater is correct.
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 03 GF 12
Found another photo that's a bit closer.
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 03 GF 12
And one more for luck.
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: 03 GF 12
Nice job Rod 
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
-
VictorLymbery
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 pm
Re: 03 GF 12
Many thanks for your reply and photos, your Landie looks fantastic! My plans for mine are MUCH less ambitious, but I would like the things on it to work as well as I can manage on my (fairly limited) budget.
With your pics as reference. I have had a more detailed look at my heater box and found it has been fitted fitted upside down for some reason! Someone has cut the two slotted brackets off the bottom of another heater box and fitted them to the threaded studs that should be on the top of the 'box. These are them screwed to the bulkhead with self tappers.
The heater box side panels have been fitted the right way up, but the feed and return pipes are now at the bottom of the heater matrix and pass through two holes drilled through the bulkhead. As a result of this, the welded-on bottom slotted fittings are now at the top, which of course don't line up with the lower instrument screw holes.
As soon as I have time, I will drain the coolant, turn the heater the right way up with the inlet and outlet pipes going through their proper holes. I will get some ali angle and I guess I will need to re route the rubber pipes to the engine as well.
Once again, many thanks for your input, it has been really useful. Still doesn't explain why it was upside down in the first place though...
With your pics as reference. I have had a more detailed look at my heater box and found it has been fitted fitted upside down for some reason! Someone has cut the two slotted brackets off the bottom of another heater box and fitted them to the threaded studs that should be on the top of the 'box. These are them screwed to the bulkhead with self tappers.
The heater box side panels have been fitted the right way up, but the feed and return pipes are now at the bottom of the heater matrix and pass through two holes drilled through the bulkhead. As a result of this, the welded-on bottom slotted fittings are now at the top, which of course don't line up with the lower instrument screw holes.
As soon as I have time, I will drain the coolant, turn the heater the right way up with the inlet and outlet pipes going through their proper holes. I will get some ali angle and I guess I will need to re route the rubber pipes to the engine as well.
Once again, many thanks for your input, it has been really useful. Still doesn't explain why it was upside down in the first place though...
- Attachments
-
- LR heater box.jpg (474.85 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 03 GF 12
Glad my photos were of help.
Get the correct hoses for fitting the heater the right way up,one is a very tight 's' shape and we're once hard to come by,that maybe the reason your heater was spun over...a quick,cheap fix using a hose that was easily obtained.
Get the correct hoses for fitting the heater the right way up,one is a very tight 's' shape and we're once hard to come by,that maybe the reason your heater was spun over...a quick,cheap fix using a hose that was easily obtained.
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Re: 03 GF 12
An upside down heater eh? The mind does boggle at times.
PA Blanchards have the correct heater pipes, and the mounting plate in stock. (Others may have, but haven't looked.) I bought mine from them when I needed them.
https://pablanchard.co.uk/Fixing-Plate- ... t%20heater
https://pablanchard.co.uk/Heater-Hose-L ... t%20heater
https://pablanchard.co.uk/Heater-Hose-S ... t%20heater
If you find yourself needing any of the other pipes etc, a search on their site for 'Lightweight heater' will show you their stock.
Regards,
PA Blanchards have the correct heater pipes, and the mounting plate in stock. (Others may have, but haven't looked.) I bought mine from them when I needed them.
https://pablanchard.co.uk/Fixing-Plate- ... t%20heater
https://pablanchard.co.uk/Heater-Hose-L ... t%20heater
https://pablanchard.co.uk/Heater-Hose-S ... t%20heater
If you find yourself needing any of the other pipes etc, a search on their site for 'Lightweight heater' will show you their stock.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
-
VictorLymbery
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 pm
Re: 03 GF 12
Thanks also to AR4412 for the part numbers and suggested supplier, however the job to rectify the upside down heater is starting to look a bit bigger than I first thought.
I obviously I have a vehicle that has has a lot of work done in the past to repair the lower bulkhead. The repairs seem to have been done with flat steel plates rather than OE panels (understandable as I suspect OE are in rather short supply!) Whilst I am happy that the fabricator/welder has done a good practical job and the part is now sound, the details are not there. For instance, there are no holes in the correct positions for the heater pipes, or for the wiring, or the lower mount positions. Also the left and right aux instrument panels holes are not wide enough, so I will have to cut these out wider as well.
I don't want the perfection of a museum piece, but I want to make it as good as I reasonably can, so I plan to buy the rubber pipes and trial fit them on the engine side of the bulkhead and mark where the correct positions should be drilled for the heater inlet/outlets. Once that is done, I will then mark and drill the lower holes for the screws that are at the top of my heater at present. Obviously I will use the position of the two instrument panel lower screw holes as a reference.
Whilst this is very straightforward (famous last words!) it is more than I have time for at the mo, it also makes sense to refurb the heater box while it's off (at least a de-rust, prime and paint), so the whole project seems to be telescoping out!
I do NOT want to be in a position where lots of jobs are being done at the same time and the vehicle is in many bits (been there, done that), so will concentrate on the more immediate jobs that I have identified that I can achieve more easily.
I will keep the forum informed of my progress to build a reference for future noobs like I am at present!
Many thanks for all your input
I obviously I have a vehicle that has has a lot of work done in the past to repair the lower bulkhead. The repairs seem to have been done with flat steel plates rather than OE panels (understandable as I suspect OE are in rather short supply!) Whilst I am happy that the fabricator/welder has done a good practical job and the part is now sound, the details are not there. For instance, there are no holes in the correct positions for the heater pipes, or for the wiring, or the lower mount positions. Also the left and right aux instrument panels holes are not wide enough, so I will have to cut these out wider as well.
I don't want the perfection of a museum piece, but I want to make it as good as I reasonably can, so I plan to buy the rubber pipes and trial fit them on the engine side of the bulkhead and mark where the correct positions should be drilled for the heater inlet/outlets. Once that is done, I will then mark and drill the lower holes for the screws that are at the top of my heater at present. Obviously I will use the position of the two instrument panel lower screw holes as a reference.
Whilst this is very straightforward (famous last words!) it is more than I have time for at the mo, it also makes sense to refurb the heater box while it's off (at least a de-rust, prime and paint), so the whole project seems to be telescoping out!
I do NOT want to be in a position where lots of jobs are being done at the same time and the vehicle is in many bits (been there, done that), so will concentrate on the more immediate jobs that I have identified that I can achieve more easily.
I will keep the forum informed of my progress to build a reference for future noobs like I am at present!
Many thanks for all your input
Re: 03 GF 12
If you want any measurements for holes etc from an original bulkhead when the time comes, I will be happy to go into the garage and measure mine for you.
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.