Hi from Berkshire.....
Hi from Berkshire.....
Happy Easter everyone,
I've had an early Series 3 FFR (27GJ48) for a long time, it's just come out of hibernation and is being recommissioned after a long time sitting in the shed.
I've had some electrical issues, which have been solved by replacing the IR and AUX relays. Inside the dash, I found an extra relay, which I believe is an in-service modification to avoid the overheating issues with the IR switch.
Does anyone know how it should be wired? I realise most owners disconnect the IR facility, but as it's fitted, I'd like to have it work as it should.
Cheers everybody...
I've had an early Series 3 FFR (27GJ48) for a long time, it's just come out of hibernation and is being recommissioned after a long time sitting in the shed.
I've had some electrical issues, which have been solved by replacing the IR and AUX relays. Inside the dash, I found an extra relay, which I believe is an in-service modification to avoid the overheating issues with the IR switch.
Does anyone know how it should be wired? I realise most owners disconnect the IR facility, but as it's fitted, I'd like to have it work as it should.
Cheers everybody...
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Welcome to the forum.
I haven't come across a vehicle where the modification has been carried out, so unable to offer any information on it for you. Modifications fell into two catagories, Immediate, and Routine. If it was classed as a 'Routine' modification it would only have been carried out if, or when, neccessary. Maybe someone out there in Lightweight land has a vehicle where it has been carried out and can offer help.
The modification was covered in, I believe, EMER Q 027/13, as Modification Number 13, dated March 1982. Fitting headlamp Relay To Infra Red Circuit. I have had an online search for this in the past, but have been unsuccessful in tracking down an available copy of the relevant EMER to see how it was carried out. I wonder if someone has one tucked away in their archive somewhere?
As you said, I think most people keep their fingers crossed that everything works as it should, and when it doesn't they just bypass the switch.
Regards,
I haven't come across a vehicle where the modification has been carried out, so unable to offer any information on it for you. Modifications fell into two catagories, Immediate, and Routine. If it was classed as a 'Routine' modification it would only have been carried out if, or when, neccessary. Maybe someone out there in Lightweight land has a vehicle where it has been carried out and can offer help.
The modification was covered in, I believe, EMER Q 027/13, as Modification Number 13, dated March 1982. Fitting headlamp Relay To Infra Red Circuit. I have had an online search for this in the past, but have been unsuccessful in tracking down an available copy of the relevant EMER to see how it was carried out. I wonder if someone has one tucked away in their archive somewhere?
As you said, I think most people keep their fingers crossed that everything works as it should, and when it doesn't they just bypass the switch.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
There is mention of the EMER (which is EMER WHEELED VEHICLES) cropped on here a couple of years ago.
viewtopic.php?p=88943&hilit=Q+027%2F13#p88943
I'll dig out the original if you want it.
viewtopic.php?p=88943&hilit=Q+027%2F13#p88943
I'll dig out the original if you want it.
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Can't find it for the moment but see I have also got the mod in both AESP and FAESP, so hope to turn up something.
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Hiya Clive!
,
You were the archive I was thinking of.
Regards,
You were the archive I was thinking of.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Afternoon Gents,
Many thanks for the information. It's mounted behind the IR switch panel, inside the dash (effectively behind the flasher relay). March 1982 timeframe for the modification fits with the date code on the relay (43 81).
It's a LUCAS 6RA (33327B) 24v changeover relay with PRC3467 harness attached. It looks like it has been contrived to change the supply to the headlights (blue) from a permanent live (brown) or the switched output from the 6 way switch (blue/black), thus removing the higher current from the IR switch. The IR switch only has to take care of the current to operate the IR and changeover relays now, reducing the risk of it bursting into flames! I think I've worked out how it's supposed to be wired, but am reticent to try it without some independent verification.
I've attempted to attach a picture, apologies for the quality of the image.
Many thanks for the information. It's mounted behind the IR switch panel, inside the dash (effectively behind the flasher relay). March 1982 timeframe for the modification fits with the date code on the relay (43 81).
It's a LUCAS 6RA (33327B) 24v changeover relay with PRC3467 harness attached. It looks like it has been contrived to change the supply to the headlights (blue) from a permanent live (brown) or the switched output from the 6 way switch (blue/black), thus removing the higher current from the IR switch. The IR switch only has to take care of the current to operate the IR and changeover relays now, reducing the risk of it bursting into flames! I think I've worked out how it's supposed to be wired, but am reticent to try it without some independent verification.
I've attempted to attach a picture, apologies for the quality of the image.
- Attachments
-
- IR changeover relay.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 8784 times
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Here is the diagram from the AESP which is the same as in the EMER. Note the colour code differences that I mentioned in the other thread, but they seem to tie in with colours of your wires.
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Thanks for sharing the pics.
A good few years ago I spent a while looking online for that info for a while Clive, knew I should have asked you if you had a copy of it.
Has the relay been mounted on the side panel inside the binnacle?
Regards,
A good few years ago I spent a while looking online for that info for a while Clive, knew I should have asked you if you had a copy of it.
Has the relay been mounted on the side panel inside the binnacle?
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
Neil yes the chance of finding bits of an EMER on-line are slim.
The diagram I posted comes from AESP 2320-D-100-811 Mod Instr No 22 Note that this is for all Series 3 and although the diagram I used mentions 1-Tonne that is because it was reproduced from the EMER that was common to WV Q 027/13, Q 027/14 and Q 057.
The diagram I posted comes from AESP 2320-D-100-811 Mod Instr No 22 Note that this is for all Series 3 and although the diagram I used mentions 1-Tonne that is because it was reproduced from the EMER that was common to WV Q 027/13, Q 027/14 and Q 057.
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Re: Hi from Berkshire.....
FV1620, AR4412,
Many thanks for the diagram and the info. I have wired to the schematic and all works as it should.....now on to the other issues....
Cheers
Many thanks for the diagram and the info. I have wired to the schematic and all works as it should.....now on to the other issues....
Cheers