Page 1 of 1

LED lights for Sankey

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 pm
by Arthur James Holl
I have a narrow track Sankey trailer which I use with my Land Rover 110. All the electrics are 12 volts.
In the near future I want to be able to tow the Sankey with my Austin Champ. Electrics are 24 volts.
Have any of you replaced the conventional bulbs with LED bulbs that typically have a wider operating voltage of say 10 volts to 30 volts.
If so please tell me your experience and where did you buy them? This conversion would enable me to use the Land Rover and the Champ without having to change bulbs at each changeover.
Regards
Arthur James Holl

Re: LED lights for Sankey

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm
by aerialphil
Get a variable resistor (potentiometer) say 1k ohm for leds.
s Connect.in series with one of the indicator wires at the rear of the. Champ plug turn to maximum resistance Connect trailer with 12v leds . Switch on indicator switch and turn variable resistor until led lights.

Measure the variable resistance setting and fit this value of straight resistor in series with both indicator leads. and single fog or reversing light. The nearest preferred value will suffice.

Repeat the process for double lights of brake and tail lights as these will require a different resistor value. This will prevent the leds drivers being over run.
Phil

Re: LED lights for Sankey

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:20 am
by Arthur James Holl
I recently went to Banbury Market Armed Forces Day and talked to several interesting characters.
One gentleman had a very smart Land Rover 101 (24 volt) towing a Sankey trailer. We got to discussing LED lights and he told me he has converted that Sankey by replacing the original bulbs with LED's. This enabled him to tow the Sankey with either a 12 volt or a 24 volt vehicle. Unfortunately he did not know the manufacturer or supplier of these LED bulbs. Well now I have had my proposal confirmed as viable all I need is someone to point me in the suppliers direction. Can anyone help me please?
Arthur James Holl

Re: LED lights for Sankey

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:12 pm
by Keith