Page 1 of 2
What's this for, then?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 am
by removeduser185
Not in a box and not directly Land Rover related, but...
I was out for a walk with the dog on Sunday and I came across this at the edge of the lake. So, recognising it instantly for what it was, I brought it home with me. Good isn't it? It's military and it's obvious what it is, of course, but, can anyone out there tell me what it is for?

- IMG_0429.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 6948 times
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 am
by chipbury
Hi Fred,
Tow hitch bolt or windscreen bolt?
Cheers,
Chris
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 pm
by removeduser185
That's a good guess as far as it goes, but, no it isn't for a towing hook and much too heavy for anything to do with a windscreen I would imagine at 5" long and with a 2 1/2" nut. Of course, in your world, it might well be for something like that, but, this isn't nautical, though I did find it on the bank of a lake. I would imagine Neil has used one or two in his time...
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 pm
by landymad
Isn't she a big one lol.
I've no idea, must be off something bigger than a lightweight maybe a DAF or something.
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:34 pm
by removeduser185
Yep! She's a whopper! I reckon any REME reccy-mech would recognise it - and so would any sapper. Of course, now I've brought it home, what am I going to do with it? It won't fit anything I have!
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 pm
by andrewjsimpson1977
Fred wrote: ↑Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:34 pm
Yep! She's a whopper! I reckon any REME reccy-mech would recognise it - and so would any sapper. Of course, now I've brought it home, what am I going to do with it? It won't fit anything I have!
Is it a pivot pin for a pintle of some sort? For pivoting a weapon?
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am
by AR4412
Hiya Fred!

,
My first thoughts when I saw the bolt were that it was from the end of an anchor plate, but I remember the bolt head and nut to be thinner. That might just be me though.
Regards,
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:33 pm
by removeduser185
AR4412 wrote: ↑Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am
Hiya Fred!

,
My first thoughts when I saw the bolt were that it was from the end of an anchor plate, but I remember the bolt head and nut to be thinner. That might just be me though.
Regards,

We have a winner! Yep. It's the bolt from the end of an anchor, earth, holdfast. I was wandering beside the reservoir a couple of weeks ago and the water level is well down. About two years ago a TA Sapper push was on exercise there and they were messing about in assault boats. They rigged up an AEH at the edge of the water and, when they left, they were clearly unable to get the pins out of the rock so the AEH had to stay there. Eventually the water level rose again (it was also low that summer) and everything disappeared. With the level being low again, I just happened to be at the spot and there was the nut and bolt lying on the ground with the AEH just below the water level. I tried to see whether I could recover the AEH as well, but, no there were four pins driven right in and they aren't going anywhere! So, there is it. I suppose they are mainly sapper bits of kit, but they were also carried on the front bumpers of Millie Mk3 recovery vehicles (and on other rec'y vehs I am sure) - hence the REME connection. Of course, I now have no idea what to do with it!
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:50 pm
by AR4412
Hiya Fred!

,
It was about the only thing that I could think of that used a bolt of it's dimentions. I have knocked a fair few AEH pins in over my years in the Army, mostly when crewing a Foden in Bosnia and doing indirect recoveries. Although I have knocked the odd one or two in when forced to break out a Tirfor winch.
What to do with it? Mmmm? I'm tempted to say post it back to the unit that left it there. Someone's signed for that after all.
Regards,
Re: What's this for, then?
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:17 pm
by andrewjsimpson1977
“ I just happened to be at the spot and there was the nut and bolt lying on the ground ”
Oh you ‘just happened to be there’ as soon as they left did you
