LWT Speedo

Any Land Rover related info can be posted here.
Jon S
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

LWT Speedo

Post by Jon S » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether all LWTs were fitted with speedos with KMH as the primary scale and MPH as the inner secondary scale? My own memory tells me military vehicles were all pretty much this way, but would like to confirm. Odometer always in KMs of course.

Cheers - Jon

User avatar
BYL
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Prague

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by BYL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:31 pm

43GF59 has MPH on the main scale and Odo in Miles, as does 61KB78 (both are RHD FFR). I'd guess that the KMH speedos were for the wagons headed to BAOR.
Hugo.

54GF42 S3 GS
43GF59 S3 FFR
61KB78 S3 109' FFR
BYL S2A 88' RAE Farnborough runway hack

Jon S
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Jon S » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 pm

Interesting, my LWT (RHD) is also a KB and has the primary scale in KMs. I have see both types on LWTs but wondered if some with MPH primary scale were fitted after release.

Would like to know what is correct for a KB vehicle. In reality the MPH primary scale is more user friendly I think, as easier to read at a glance when approaching speed cameras in 30 MPH limits.

Regards - Jon

Day VG
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:22 pm
Location: Geelong, Australia

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Day VG » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:49 am

Jon S wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 pm
In reality the MPH primary scale is more user friendly
That depends on where you live ;)

Jon S
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Jon S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 am

Indeed! I guess you guys are too busy avoiding Roos in the road to look at the speedo anyway. :D

Having said that, the cops down under were pretty keen on speed traps last time I was there!

Regards - Jon

User avatar
Tinweasel
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Tinweasel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Well to the best of my knowledge my lightweight never crossed the water, it's RHD and a KB, like every other military landrover I have driven is set up for KPH

Shaun
Image

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?

Tring, Hertfordshire

User avatar
Bob Fell
Cake Guru
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am
Location: Melton Mowbray

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Bob Fell » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Jon S wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 pm
Interesting, my LWT (RHD) is also a KB and has the primary scale in KMs. I have see both types on LWTs but wondered if some with MPH primary scale were fitted after release.

Would like to know what is correct for a KB vehicle. In reality the MPH primary scale is more user friendly I think, as easier to read at a glance when approaching speed cameras in 30 MPH limits.

Regards - Jon
My '79 vehicle has MPH on the primary scale.

Regards
Bob
042Bobf


19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by removeduser185 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 pm

I have a recollection that, at some point, perhaps the mid-80s, the Army adopted km speedos and odometers across the board, because military distance measuring, fuel accounting, speeds in the hour and so on are all done in KM rather than miles. But, by law, they would have a secondary scale on RHD vehicles reading in miles (not a legal requirement where KMs are used - ie on LHD European vehicles (can't speak for the 50-odd other countries in the world where they still drive on the proper side of the road).

But, I cannot be sure and stand to be corrected as I can't say I had routine and regular access to a standard military vehicle in the UK after about 1990 - I was either abroad or using "white fleet" or hire vehicles in UK.

Fred

Ridgy
Pastry Chef
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 pm
Location: Essex

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Ridgy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Mine's km too.
57 KB 58 1983 SIII GS Lightweight

Jon S
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

Re: LWT Speedo

Post by Jon S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 pm

That's probably the closest LWT I will find to mine, which is also an 83 GS 57 KB 69 so probably from the same batch.

Out of interest is it a Smiths clock on you vehicle?

Cheers - Jon

Post Reply