Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
User avatar
Loulou
Pastry Chef
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Location: France

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Loulou » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:56 am

Hello Landylees,

I am at the same stage of reconstruction: adjustment of the upper glass panels.
It's a real mess and you are doing very well, good result of adjustment that I do not achieve.

The lower part of the door is quite easy to make.
For the upper part with the two windows, it's a different story ...

The two vertical planes of the upper part do not have the same "slope / inclination"; the one near the cover has a different angle than the front part against the windshield. Therefore, if you force you risk getting a twisted plane and the window will not slide.
The main problem with my LWT is that the windshield locks (MRC2416) butt against the inside return of the glass frame, so no adjustment play possible.

All the photos seen from SeriesIII and LWT have this upper part which yawns on both sides.
Therefore for me, I will wear a fisherman's oilskin in my LWT when it rains ...

Regards.

Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Loulou wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:56 am
Hello Landylees,

I am at the same stage of reconstruction: adjustment of the upper glass panels.
It's a real mess and you are doing very well, good result of adjustment that I do not achieve.

The lower part of the door is quite easy to make.
For the upper part with the two windows, it's a different story ...

The two vertical planes of the upper part do not have the same "slope / inclination"; the one near the cover has a different angle than the front part against the windshield. Therefore, if you force you risk getting a twisted plane and the window will not slide.
The main problem with my LWT is that the windshield locks (MRC2416) butt against the inside return of the glass frame, so no adjustment play possible.

All the photos seen from SeriesIII and LWT have this upper part which yawns on both sides.
Therefore for me, I will wear a fisherman's oilskin in my LWT when it rains ...

Regards.

Looloo
I'm following your thread and you are not doing too badly yourself!

I suspect I am trying too hard to get it just right. As I played with the tailgate adjustment, I was smiling as I couldnt imagine the Army

I will hopefully post a picture of the driver side later today and let's see whether it is better or worse than the passenger side.
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by AR4412 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Oh the joys of getting doors and door tops to fit on a Lightweight. I'm so glad that the Recce won't have any doors on it.

I believe the fun began at the design stage, and became a riot of laughs from then on. The main problem as I see it, is that the lightweight bulkhead is the same width all the way down as the top of the Series bulkhead is at the very top. Give or take a few mil, 150cm. On the Series, the bulkhead slants inwards to the top from the height of the door capping, (Just above the door hinge.), where give or take a few mil it is about 30mm wider overall. So, in old money that means that the bottom of the door top where it begins to lean inwards is already a good half inch closer to the bottom of the windscreen on the Lightweight. So, unless the doors are stepped away from the bulkhead, or things like seal mounting lips are bent, then the door tops will always touch the bottom of the vent panel/screen frame first, and pressure exerted on the bottom of the door top will push the top of it further away from the windscreen.

Apart from there being slightly less water and animals, it's a nightmare of biblical proportions to get the door tops sitting nicely against the winscreen frame. You should see how far out from the body the doors on my coiler need to be to get the Defender door tops to sIt flush to the windscreen frame.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

Oneandtwo
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:53 am

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Oneandtwo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:33 pm

They can be got perfect by adjusting the windscreen seal retainer inwards as far as it will go on the bottom half of the screen using cold chisel and hammer. Sounds brutal but it is really the only way to get the door tops positioned correctly.

If you look at the photo of my Lightweight with properly fitting doortops, look how far inwards the door top is positioned in relation to the bottom corner of the windscreen. That photo was taken when the top horizontal and rear seals were brand new - the door top now sits even better now those new seals have compressed over 18 months.
D4130869-689F-4633-8000-0CBAB85CFB8B.jpeg
D4130869-689F-4633-8000-0CBAB85CFB8B.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 5431 times

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:37 pm

So I have removed the new and very expensive early Lightweight hard cylindrical seal on the windscreen and got the gap at the top to a more acceptable 8mm. I suspect if get the hammer and cold chisel out I will get this down further. I suspect I will be making the windscreen seal out of some cheap soft and compressible rubber I have lying around tomorrow. So with all your advice and plenty of time I am making progress.

I have fitted the drivers door bottom but the door top fouls the windscreen on that side...
IMG_7020.jpg
IMG_7020.jpg (833.01 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

User avatar
Loulou
Pastry Chef
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm
Location: France

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Loulou » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:54 am

Hello Gentlemen,

Reading your messages reassures me ... I am not alone in this tide :mrgreen: .
Good luck to all and see you in a few weeks for everyone's solutions.
Thank you all for your comments.

Regards.
Looloo
27GJ77 - 1977 LWT SIII FFR - 1st. Royal Horse Artillery - B Battery (BAOR)

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:56 pm

I removed the leaking oil cooler pipe that I had made to discover the brass union came off with the nut. My first ever soldering attempt therefore scored a fail. I re-soldered it with some proper flux and silver solder then refitted. Also, fitted the chains to the tailgate and tightened up the front panel and driver side wing. Yes I am avoiding the driver's door for now!
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

landylees
Pastry Chef
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Bishops Stortford

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by landylees » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Fitted the seats today...dusty finger prints to be removed
IMG_7027.jpg
IMG_7027.jpg (797.55 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
1965 Series IIA 88" 200tdi
1968 Series IIA LWT 12v GS RHD [34-FG-95]
1976 Series III LWT 24v FFR RHD [45-GF-53]

User avatar
Pifco
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by Pifco » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:36 am

Those grey seats look superb, as does the whole build. I might have to get a set of those when the time comes.

Pete
68 FM 19 1973 Series III GS

User avatar
weetchus
Pastry Chef
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Re: Series IIA Chassis up rebuild

Post by weetchus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Serious Lightweight envy going on here. Lovely work.

Post Reply