03 GF 12
- the landy man
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3080
- Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm
- Location: BOGNOR REGIS
Re: 03 GF 12
Well done Neil,fantastic information again.

..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Bognor Regis,West Sussex
1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,29 EN 84
Sankey narrow track project.
1967 BSA b40 WD 350cc.
1957 Triumph 6T Thunderbird.
Re: 03 GF 12
Hiya Rod!
,
Thanks mate.
Regards,
Thanks mate.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: 03 GF 12
Hiya Neil
As said, brilliant info. You nee to get that Recce of yours moving on mate.
Best,
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
-
VictorLymbery
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 pm
Re: 03 GF 12
Evening all, here is the latest update on my new project. I have finally got around to draining the coolant and taking off my upside-down heater box.
When I bought the landie, it had a cracked rad, so I replaced that and filled with new coolant, so was very pleased I was able to use the block drain plug with a flexible pipe attached and safely recovered all the new coolant.
The fan box came off easily, but I found there was a lot of filthy, rusty coolant trapped in it, I guess a combination of the wrong way up orientation and a very restricting kink in the improvised heater tap to heater connector pipe meant the coolant flow through the heater was VERY restricated. Luckily this resulted in it not apparently contaminating the new coolant which was still nice and blue.
The rear face of the bulkhead was finally revealed. I was pleased that the fabrication and welding was good, although all references to any locating points was lost as they just used plain steel sheets. I am attaching a pic of what I found. It shows the two heater pipe hole that were cut (heater upside down) and intriguingly, two circular marks the the original restorer felt the pipe maybe could have gone through. These were still way off the reference measurements that AR4412 kindly posted last week.
I will use AR4412's measurements to cut new heater box pipes in the correct places, before cleaning up the 'box and fitting it up the right way.
When I bought the landie, it had a cracked rad, so I replaced that and filled with new coolant, so was very pleased I was able to use the block drain plug with a flexible pipe attached and safely recovered all the new coolant.
The fan box came off easily, but I found there was a lot of filthy, rusty coolant trapped in it, I guess a combination of the wrong way up orientation and a very restricting kink in the improvised heater tap to heater connector pipe meant the coolant flow through the heater was VERY restricated. Luckily this resulted in it not apparently contaminating the new coolant which was still nice and blue.
The rear face of the bulkhead was finally revealed. I was pleased that the fabrication and welding was good, although all references to any locating points was lost as they just used plain steel sheets. I am attaching a pic of what I found. It shows the two heater pipe hole that were cut (heater upside down) and intriguingly, two circular marks the the original restorer felt the pipe maybe could have gone through. These were still way off the reference measurements that AR4412 kindly posted last week.
I will use AR4412's measurements to cut new heater box pipes in the correct places, before cleaning up the 'box and fitting it up the right way.
- Attachments
-
- bulkhead with heater box removed.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 5378 times
-
VictorLymbery
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 pm
Re: 03 GF 12
Hello All,
I have been a bit busy recently to do much to my Project Lightweight, but have purchased an under-bonnet tool box.
My problem is that whilst my bulkhead has been well repaired by the previous owner and is solid, it has no references as to where any original equipment would have gone. I understand that the tool-box in question would have been bolted through existing holes in the bulkhead, I am guessing the unused near-side clutch mounting point positions (mine is RHD).
I will need to drill 4 holes for the tool-box mounting bolts. My question is, does anyone have a more original bulkhead than mine and would be willing to let me have some reference measurements for the hole positions? Just one would do, say the right-hand front one and I can work out the others from there.
Finally, the tool-box I bought has also been supplied with a single flat plate that presumably goes under the top pair, or bottom pair of bolts, but which is it?
I will upload a pic of my engine bay so you can see my situation, hopefully someone could help me out,
Many thanks,
Victor
I have been a bit busy recently to do much to my Project Lightweight, but have purchased an under-bonnet tool box.
My problem is that whilst my bulkhead has been well repaired by the previous owner and is solid, it has no references as to where any original equipment would have gone. I understand that the tool-box in question would have been bolted through existing holes in the bulkhead, I am guessing the unused near-side clutch mounting point positions (mine is RHD).
I will need to drill 4 holes for the tool-box mounting bolts. My question is, does anyone have a more original bulkhead than mine and would be willing to let me have some reference measurements for the hole positions? Just one would do, say the right-hand front one and I can work out the others from there.
Finally, the tool-box I bought has also been supplied with a single flat plate that presumably goes under the top pair, or bottom pair of bolts, but which is it?
I will upload a pic of my engine bay so you can see my situation, hopefully someone could help me out,
Many thanks,
Victor
- Attachments
-
- s-l16010.jpg (383.82 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Re: 03 GF 12
Hi Victor,
The toolbox uses the redundant top and bottom holes for the brake pedal box, with the mounting plate fitted at the top on the inside of the footwell IIRC. If your footwell isn't double skinned on the inside then you won't need to use the plate. My lightweight didn't have it's toolbox when I got it, and the replacement I purchased didn't come with the plate, which is unobtainium as far as I can see.
Looking at mine, it appears that the pedal blanking plates were fitted as there is evidence of the seal and the pop rivets on my bulkhead, even if the plate was no longer there.
So, I'm guessing here, that the plates if fitted were drilled through, or a cover plate was fitted after the box was removed from mine. Hopefully someone with an unmolested vehicle will confirm the truth for us.
If no one beats me to it, I will try to measure the bolt holes for reference over the weekend for you.
Regards,
The toolbox uses the redundant top and bottom holes for the brake pedal box, with the mounting plate fitted at the top on the inside of the footwell IIRC. If your footwell isn't double skinned on the inside then you won't need to use the plate. My lightweight didn't have it's toolbox when I got it, and the replacement I purchased didn't come with the plate, which is unobtainium as far as I can see.
Looking at mine, it appears that the pedal blanking plates were fitted as there is evidence of the seal and the pop rivets on my bulkhead, even if the plate was no longer there.
So, I'm guessing here, that the plates if fitted were drilled through, or a cover plate was fitted after the box was removed from mine. Hopefully someone with an unmolested vehicle will confirm the truth for us.
If no one beats me to it, I will try to measure the bolt holes for reference over the weekend for you.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: 03 GF 12
Just to answer the previous question reference whether the blanking plate is under the toolbox or not, here's one I took apart a little while ago.
This is a 1980 FFR from the same contract as mine, hiding in a shed at work.
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: 03 GF 12
Hello Victor
Did you fit your under-bonnet Tool Box?
And did you drill the 4 new holes for the mounting bolts??
I have a Series III Lightweight [44AJ52] and have also recently purchased an under-bonnet Tool Box. Luckily it came with the 4 bolts & 8 washers & a (small) mounting plate!
But my bulkhead, like yours, doesn't have any existing holes!
AR4412 kindly posted photos of his bulkhead with holes, but mine, like yours, is a solid panel with no reference points.
How did you get on? Can you share any measurements with me before I start drilling holes??
[PS - I found a thread on another LWT forum which advised the 'single flat plate' or 'support bracket' goes on the rear side of the bulkhead behind the top pair of bolts and is designed to prevent the bolts ripping out in case of a crash when the Jack (in the box) flew forwards]
Thanks, David H
Did you fit your under-bonnet Tool Box?
And did you drill the 4 new holes for the mounting bolts??
I have a Series III Lightweight [44AJ52] and have also recently purchased an under-bonnet Tool Box. Luckily it came with the 4 bolts & 8 washers & a (small) mounting plate!
But my bulkhead, like yours, doesn't have any existing holes!
AR4412 kindly posted photos of his bulkhead with holes, but mine, like yours, is a solid panel with no reference points.
How did you get on? Can you share any measurements with me before I start drilling holes??
[PS - I found a thread on another LWT forum which advised the 'single flat plate' or 'support bracket' goes on the rear side of the bulkhead behind the top pair of bolts and is designed to prevent the bolts ripping out in case of a crash when the Jack (in the box) flew forwards]
Re: 03 GF 12
I measured the toolbox mounting holes in the bulkhead this morning. For arguments sake the holes are 10mm in diameter. The distance centre to centre horizontally are 83mm apart, and vertically 209mm apart.
Viewed from the front of the vehicle.
The top left hole is 34mm down from the vertical bulkhead panel, and 160mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
The top right hole is 34mm down from the vertical bulkhead panel, and 243mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
The bottom left hole is 25mm up from the lower vertical edge of the footwell, and 137mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
The bottom right hole is 25mm up from the lower vertical edge of the footwell panel, and 220mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
(Ish.)
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Viewed from the front of the vehicle.
The top left hole is 34mm down from the vertical bulkhead panel, and 160mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
The top right hole is 34mm down from the vertical bulkhead panel, and 243mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
The bottom left hole is 25mm up from the lower vertical edge of the footwell, and 137mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
The bottom right hole is 25mm up from the lower vertical edge of the footwell panel, and 220mm in from the inner edge of the footwell panel.
(Ish.)
I hope this helps.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: 03 GF 12
Thanks Neil.
Your measurements are a great help.
Will let you know how I get on!
David H
Your measurements are a great help.
Will let you know how I get on!