10 or 11 tooth?

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
Post Reply
alz
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

10 or 11 tooth?

Post by alz » Mon May 04, 2026 6:04 pm

Does a Lucas Bendix 10-tooth starter motor fit a petrol Lightweight, or does it have to be 11-tooth version?

DormyLtWt
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
Location: Nr. Norwich

Re: 10 or 11 tooth?

Post by DormyLtWt » Wed May 06, 2026 9:26 am

I can't answer your question definately, but as you haven't yet had a more knowledgable reply I will chuck my tuppenceworth in: -

I would assume that there will be a difference in diameter and tooth spacing between the two. Chances are; that means it won't mesh properly with the teeth on the ring-gear.

It might work, but probably better hunting the correct starter down.
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

alz
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: 10 or 11 tooth?

Post by alz » Thu May 07, 2026 5:21 pm

Just what I wondered, and happily have managed to patiently rebuild another old 11-toothed stater motor among my spares - and it works!
(ps - aye, the sight and sound of the pipes and drums at our annual Lonach Games in Aberdeenshire is a magical experience.)

DormyLtWt
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
Location: Nr. Norwich

Re: 10 or 11 tooth?

Post by DormyLtWt » Thu May 07, 2026 9:55 pm

:!
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

Post Reply