Sliding window runner problem

If you have encountered or solved a problem post here
Post Reply
Foz31
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Sliding window runner problem

Post by Foz31 » Tue Feb 24, 2026 1:21 pm

Help/advice appreciated: the top runner on my driver’s side sliding pane has so much sideways play that the glass falls out when open. Part of the problem is my own making ie the only way I can get the pane in is to push on the top runner sideways for the glass to clear it. The usual approach with these sliding panes in runners of inserting at the top and pushing upwards to clear the bottom doesn’t work because the vertical aluminum strip on the pane edge prevents the pane from sliding up into the top runner - it’s too fat for the runner. If I include enough packing strips to keep the pane secure, it makes the pane fitment even harder.

2 questions:
1. Any advice on fitting the new top runner and how much packing is really needed?
2. Has anyone riveted the top runner in place instead of self tapping screws? I think it would make the runner far more rigid.

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_6348.jpeg
IMG_6348.jpeg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 6566 times
IMG_6345.jpeg
IMG_6345.jpeg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 6566 times
25HF03 Series III 200Tdi

Foz31
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Sliding window runner problem

Post by Foz31 » Tue Feb 24, 2026 2:14 pm

I’ve just watched a YouTube video where the pane is fitted into the fixed bottom runner and the loose top runner then that runner is screwed in place…I guess that would be a good place for me to start :shock:
25HF03 Series III 200Tdi

DormyLtWt
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am
Location: Nr. Norwich

Re: Sliding window runner problem

Post by DormyLtWt » Tue Feb 24, 2026 11:21 pm

Yes, that's the correct sequence.

Don't think pop rivets will work as the head would most likely foul the glass as it slides back and forth. Usually use small countersunk self-tapers with pilot holes drilled at 45deg so the head of the screw sits in the very corner of the slide.

To be honest, I've never had a problem with the glass not being tall enough for the frame (or the frame too tall) to sit in the runners securely that packing is required.
Would buying new runners help as they aren't expensive and are readily avilable.
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

Foz31
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Sliding window runner problem

Post by Foz31 » Wed Feb 25, 2026 9:51 am

Thanks Dormy…I have new runners on the way. If I fit the top runner, pack it with shins if needed, then screw it in place then I’ll avoid deforming the runner sideways and should be OK.
25HF03 Series III 200Tdi

Post Reply