Good evening and a Happy New Year to all,
I have static belts on my '75 GS Lightweight. All works as it should, but inertia reel seem to me to be easier to live with. I am sympathetically upgrading other stuff on my 'Rover, hoping to keep as much in keeping with the time of its military service (and mine!), but am wondering if people have looked into this issue and what they have decided.
Searching for Series 2a/3 seatbelts on the net, I have found various roll-bar type things for non-lightweights, I would like to avoid these as they look a bit visually intrusive. I know FFRs have a dexion frame behind the driver which I might anchor inertia reels to, but would be interested to know what others have considered.
Many thanks in advance,
Victor
What seat belts does everyone use?
Re: What seat belts does everyone use?
There's a couple of pics of my LtWt on the thread linked below. I din't know when inertia reel belts became a standard fit but mines is a '69'.
You can just see the metal hoops above the bodyline which carry the inertia reel units. I don't know if these parts are readily available or like unicorn horns. IIRC from my time in the TA, these fittings were on other SWB/LWB vehicles too for a period.
HTH
Ian
You can just see the metal hoops above the bodyline which carry the inertia reel units. I don't know if these parts are readily available or like unicorn horns. IIRC from my time in the TA, these fittings were on other SWB/LWB vehicles too for a period.
HTH
Ian
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."
Re: What seat belts does everyone use?
The inertia reel seatbelts were fitted from June 1981, along with the rare as you like seatbelt rail. You could modify a 109 or 90/110 dexion frame and mounts to replace this and still keep the 'in service' look if you don't want to fit the tubular type of raised top mountings that are out there for sale .
The inertia reel seatbelts mount to the top of the wheelbox and have stiffener plates that bolt between the wheelbox and the outrigger to provide a solid mounting point.
The seatbelts were P/No MXC5492 and MXC5493. You would need a mounting plate for each of these which is MTC4090. I believe a search on those seatbelt part numbers will bring up suitable Defender seatbelts which have the right angled two bolt hole mounting plate on the reel which will fit the holes in the stiffener plates, and would probably be cheaper than an original Lightweight ones. The stiffener plates to go under the tub are P/No MTC1306 and MTC1307. If you bolt a pair of seatbelt loops, P/No MRC7755, to the top of the dexion it would stop the seatbelt strap from sliding around. The top mounting of a later 3 point seatbelt can be bolted to the dexion to do the same job.
HTH.
Regards,
The inertia reel seatbelts mount to the top of the wheelbox and have stiffener plates that bolt between the wheelbox and the outrigger to provide a solid mounting point.
The seatbelts were P/No MXC5492 and MXC5493. You would need a mounting plate for each of these which is MTC4090. I believe a search on those seatbelt part numbers will bring up suitable Defender seatbelts which have the right angled two bolt hole mounting plate on the reel which will fit the holes in the stiffener plates, and would probably be cheaper than an original Lightweight ones. The stiffener plates to go under the tub are P/No MTC1306 and MTC1307. If you bolt a pair of seatbelt loops, P/No MRC7755, to the top of the dexion it would stop the seatbelt strap from sliding around. The top mounting of a later 3 point seatbelt can be bolted to the dexion to do the same job.
HTH.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: What seat belts does everyone use?
Oops, forgot to add the link to my post above.
Here is a link to another thread where the side photo clearly shows the seatbelt support hoops and the inertia reel units.
Day at the Norfolk Tank Museum
HTH
Ian
Here is a link to another thread where the side photo clearly shows the seatbelt support hoops and the inertia reel units.
Day at the Norfolk Tank Museum
HTH
Ian
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."
-
airportableffr
- Posts: 104
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am
Re: What seat belts does everyone use?
I have the same set up as DormyLtWt. Work fine If you get the inertias where you can set to work at a particular angle. I have strengtheners under the rear bulkead overhand for the mounts or you are just mounting to thin aluminium and and a bit of capping.
prior to that i had a self built system with a strut from the tub to the rear capping that mounted the inertia at capping height. It worked fine but was very low on my shoulders and I didn't feel comfortable.
There was someone making the seat belt frames years back but I imagine despite the expected demand few actually followed up with purchase due to cost etc
prior to that i had a self built system with a strut from the tub to the rear capping that mounted the inertia at capping height. It worked fine but was very low on my shoulders and I didn't feel comfortable.
There was someone making the seat belt frames years back but I imagine despite the expected demand few actually followed up with purchase due to cost etc