It’s been a while since I posted because since my last message I managed to damage ligaments in my shoulder doing concrete fence posts and haven’t driven the lLWT for 5 months. I’m on the mend so getting back on it.
Ok I have now tested it with the rear prop off and the noise is no more on FWD only. The noise is definitely not coming from the rear and the rear diff was replaced since the original noise with a new Ashcroft LSD unit with competition half shafts. At least I know the Ashcroft built R380 is nice and quiet.
So I’m left with the 2 obvious culprits being the rear prop and transfer box.
The rear prop was new and made bespoke with greater articulating joints. That being said the greater angle due to being raised on parabolic springs and being shorter due to the R380 box won’t be helping.
I’m not one for shortcuts so here’s my plan:
1. I’m sending my prop to another specialist someone recommended to me to have a look to see if they agree with the.build and if ok to carry out balancing just in case.
2. I’ve seen on another series forum where they lowered the height by installing blocks like the following picture shows. I have to say having read that late last night I need to look at the suspension to get my head around how this works.The intention is to drop it an inch to help the angle.

- IMG_5791.jpeg (281.44 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
3. Rebuild the transfer box. I’ve been planning this for a while and once my final parts arrive I will have every single part in the box from oem new old stock, apart from the bearings which I went for the best brand and not the cheap eBay ones. As always I will record the rebuild with as many photos as possible. After more than £25k in parts without the countless hours of labour there is no way I’m finishing this with a recon transfer box that I have no idea of the built quality especially after taking 2 years to source the best parts.
I did read about using wedges to alter the angle of the rear diff but I don’t really have much info of how this is done and where they can be bought from yet. If I could get the prop to be virtually inline it would eliminate that issue so any ideas would be appreciated.
You never know I might actually get to use it properly and meet you guys again on an event.
