I am in danger of clansman stuff developing into a second hobby in parallel with the landy
PRC351M
-
airportableffr
- Posts: 104
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am
PRC351M
I have picked up one for the Lightweight and found it actually works. I have read that the M version is modified to work with something called BID, would that explain why only one of the audio sockets will work with handset?
I am in danger of clansman stuff developing into a second hobby in parallel with the landy
I am in danger of clansman stuff developing into a second hobby in parallel with the landy
Re: PRC351M
You have to watch out for the Clansman kit, I'm sure it breeds if left unobserved for too long. I only have a 351/2 and a 320, but with the manpack frames all the relevant ancils for each set, and a full vehicle fitting kit, it takes up a fair bit of space.
I can't advise on the modifications done to the set for the BID encryption kit, but I'm sure the knowledge is out there.
Regards,
I can't advise on the modifications done to the set for the BID encryption kit, but I'm sure the knowledge is out there.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: PRC351M
I see the EMERs are in VMARS archives but you have to join https://www.vmars.org.uk/VMARS_Manuals
Lots of Clansman fans there, I don't think there are any Morpheus fans yet : )
Lots of Clansman fans there, I don't think there are any Morpheus fans yet : )
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Re: PRC351M
The PRC-351M was a 351 modified for 8KHz audio bandwidth on the 2nd audio socket to support BID300 secure speech equipment.airportableffr wrote: ↑Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:06 amI have picked up one for the Lightweight and found it actually works. I have read that the M version is modified to work with something called BID, would that explain why only one of the audio sockets will work with handset?
I am in danger of clansman stuff developing into a second hobby in parallel with the landy![]()
The BID was housed in a casing affixed to the radio front casing by 4 mounting screws, as you say socket 2 will not support audio gear but only a 7 pin connecting lead to the BID to which had the required audio connection for secure speech.
You could use it into a VRC353 with an interface box (they are out there) but the BID300 units and their connections were all destroyed when Clansman lifed out years ago.
Unlike the VRC associated DMU for the BIB250 secure speech equipment there seems never to have been a training 'brick' for the BID300. Interestingly though, about a year or more ago there was a BID300 casing for sale on gleebay, sold for about £500 I think, reflecting its unique rarity.
That's as much as I can tell you.
Regards,
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
Re: PRC351M
Hiya Bob!
,
That's the knowledge I was referring to, from the person I was thinking of.
Regards,
That's the knowledge I was referring to, from the person I was thinking of.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: PRC351M
Hiya mate
Thanks for the accolade, I'd seen this post a while back and had intended replying earlier but it went off my radar as my world of H&S is very busy to say the least and I don't get on here as often as I should.
I had considered bidding on the BID300C mounting case for my pension portfolio but I couldn't've justified it with SWMBO and as there's no training/test brick it was a pointless exercise.
Ah well such is life.
Best,
Bob
042Bobf
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.
Re: PRC351M
I know I've never seen one in real life. Never saw a modified set in the flesh during my time either. Not much call for one in your average Fitter Section.
Regards,
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
-
airportableffr
- Posts: 104
- Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am
Re: PRC351M
sorry for the late reply, been off grid a while, thanks for all the info, confirmed what I was told. and yes i now have more clansman kit. 