New Project
New Project
With admins approval, here are a few pictures of my latest project. Still to decide how much I will be doing to it, but it does need a new clutch, or thrust bearing, and a new drivers door as it has a crease in it.
- Attachments
-
- 20210611_131342 (1).jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 10326 times
-
- 20210611_131331 (2).jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 10326 times
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Re: New Project
That's a lovely colour. Is it an original Triumph colour?
Very smart. Do I take it that it is already fully restored, so what's required is basically running repairs?
Very smart. Do I take it that it is already fully restored, so what's required is basically running repairs?
Re: New Project
Hiya Richard!
A quick dab of NATO green, a basket on the bonnet, and some ammo boxes bolted to the back and it will be ready for show season.
Joking aside, that's a nice looking motor there.
Regards,
A quick dab of NATO green, a basket on the bonnet, and some ammo boxes bolted to the back and it will be ready for show season.
Joking aside, that's a nice looking motor there.
Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'
Neil.
09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.
Re: New Project
Richard, that's not a project that is lovely, what you want is a proper project like this
- Attachments
-
- New project
- IMG_20210603_101731.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 10315 times
Graham.
Gatwick, west Sussex
Buy British, now it's more important than ever.
1980-83 GS Lightweight 57KB99
Sankey narrow track 08ES81
1942 350cc Ohv Ariel W'ng dispatch bike
Gatwick, west Sussex
Buy British, now it's more important than ever.
1980-83 GS Lightweight 57KB99
Sankey narrow track 08ES81
1942 350cc Ohv Ariel W'ng dispatch bike
Re: New Project
Very nice, done clutch’s on them before bit a a pain in the ass having to take the seats and interior out and it seems like the gearbox is held in by a thousand nuts and bolts........
Top Cocker and Bodger
Re: New Project
Graham - what have you got there ?
Started life as a 1959 Ariel leader but I've already got one and an Ariel arrow so it will end up as an Ariel arrow cafe racer similar to the one I had in 1963
Started life as a 1959 Ariel leader but I've already got one and an Ariel arrow so it will end up as an Ariel arrow cafe racer similar to the one I had in 1963
- Attachments
-
- 2019-1-28_02659.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 10291 times
57 KB 58 1983 SIII GS Lightweight
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: New Project
My goodness - that's a bit different! Really nice - and LHD to boot - you'll be able to visit us in Wales!
Re: New Project
Thanks guys
First off, it was originally red when it was exported to the USA. The previous owner did a part restoration back in 1996 according to the paper work that came with car. Unfortunately, the respray was not brilliant, and the more I dig into the car, the more I find in the way of away around problems, rather than actually fixing it properly.
I have decided that it won't be me that deals with the clutch as I don't know enough about these slightly more complicated vehicles than a LR is. Fairly obvious that British Leyland was using interlinking parts as a few parts have come to light that a similar to my Lightweight, including the very simplistic fuse box.
Neil, with how low the seats are, a basket on the bonnet would provide zero visibility, and matt nato green is also off the cards, but DBG could work, but not found that code of paint in Triumph's records
First off, it was originally red when it was exported to the USA. The previous owner did a part restoration back in 1996 according to the paper work that came with car. Unfortunately, the respray was not brilliant, and the more I dig into the car, the more I find in the way of away around problems, rather than actually fixing it properly.
I have decided that it won't be me that deals with the clutch as I don't know enough about these slightly more complicated vehicles than a LR is. Fairly obvious that British Leyland was using interlinking parts as a few parts have come to light that a similar to my Lightweight, including the very simplistic fuse box.
Neil, with how low the seats are, a basket on the bonnet would provide zero visibility, and matt nato green is also off the cards, but DBG could work, but not found that code of paint in Triumph's records
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Re: New Project
Sort of up date including disasters.
Having done battle with DVLA over its historic status, or lack there of according to their website and Post Office, I finally managed to get it on the beast taxed (exempt).
Needed 5 new tyres as the originals were the ones fitted before it was exported back to the UK, and badly perished. After that, a short test drive to put some petrol in it, only to find front brakes had jammed on causing a minor fire at the petrol station. After several weeks of messing around trying to figure out why this had occurred, I bit the bullet and bought new bearings, new brake pads, new flexi pipes, and lastly new master cylinder. That seemed to resolve that problem.
Out for a test drive to ensure everything was working properly, I noticed that the handbrake would not hold. One of the rear brake cylinders was shot, as were the flexi pipes. Ordered new cylinder and rear brake pipes, only to find that left and right brake pipes were totally different. Typical BL.
Anyway, it is now back on the road, MOT'd as well, with only 1 advisory, that I change the pipes from the washer bottle to the windscreen jet.
Once back from Capel, I aim to set to work on correcting the timing, complete oil change everywhere, then it will be down to sorting out the PO's botched like the fitment of the Kenlow fan, other wiring issues that have become apparent.
Also need to replace or if I can find a panel beater, sorting out the crease in the drivers door, having the seats refoamed, dash taken apart and odd tear sorted, as well as getting the steering wheel recovered.
I am sure the list will continue to grow as I dig deeper, but enough to keep me busy for awhile.
Having done battle with DVLA over its historic status, or lack there of according to their website and Post Office, I finally managed to get it on the beast taxed (exempt).
Needed 5 new tyres as the originals were the ones fitted before it was exported back to the UK, and badly perished. After that, a short test drive to put some petrol in it, only to find front brakes had jammed on causing a minor fire at the petrol station. After several weeks of messing around trying to figure out why this had occurred, I bit the bullet and bought new bearings, new brake pads, new flexi pipes, and lastly new master cylinder. That seemed to resolve that problem.
Out for a test drive to ensure everything was working properly, I noticed that the handbrake would not hold. One of the rear brake cylinders was shot, as were the flexi pipes. Ordered new cylinder and rear brake pipes, only to find that left and right brake pipes were totally different. Typical BL.
Anyway, it is now back on the road, MOT'd as well, with only 1 advisory, that I change the pipes from the washer bottle to the windscreen jet.
Once back from Capel, I aim to set to work on correcting the timing, complete oil change everywhere, then it will be down to sorting out the PO's botched like the fitment of the Kenlow fan, other wiring issues that have become apparent.
Also need to replace or if I can find a panel beater, sorting out the crease in the drivers door, having the seats refoamed, dash taken apart and odd tear sorted, as well as getting the steering wheel recovered.
I am sure the list will continue to grow as I dig deeper, but enough to keep me busy for awhile.
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Re: New Project
a ps to last post
for those of you that enjoy 2 wheels rather than 4, I hate 2 wheels

for those of you that enjoy 2 wheels rather than 4, I hate 2 wheels
Regards
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's
Richard
Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's