Steering Box Overhaul
- Bob or is it Kate
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm
- Location: Somerset
Steering Box Overhaul
Hi has anyone got insight/experience overhauling their steering box and if so where to get a service kit etc. Many thx Paul
Re: Steering Box Overhaul
Done a few over the years. Need to know the state of yours as it is now.
The key point is to work out the condition of the inner steering column and specifically the top and bottom bearing race seats. These wear and once they become pitted, the inner column is scrap. Blanchards are your best bet for an inner column and will do all the other stuff as well I reckon.
There are some bearing kits out there which are cheap, but generally are OK as far as I can tell. You will also need a new top bearing as these are always knackered. Again - Blanchards are your best bet as the non genuine ones are rubbish.
Series 3 columns are easier to work on than Series 2A ones as the outer column can be separated from the steering box without disturbing the box settings. If you are doing a rebuild, it all needs setting up anyway.
The key point is to work out the condition of the inner steering column and specifically the top and bottom bearing race seats. These wear and once they become pitted, the inner column is scrap. Blanchards are your best bet for an inner column and will do all the other stuff as well I reckon.
There are some bearing kits out there which are cheap, but generally are OK as far as I can tell. You will also need a new top bearing as these are always knackered. Again - Blanchards are your best bet as the non genuine ones are rubbish.
Series 3 columns are easier to work on than Series 2A ones as the outer column can be separated from the steering box without disturbing the box settings. If you are doing a rebuild, it all needs setting up anyway.
Re: Steering Box Overhaul
As above.
I have stripped many series steering columns over the years and every single one has needed a new inner shaft due to damage of the bearing races.
Last one I did I used new inner column with a rebuild kit but replaced all the unbranded loose ball bearings with equivalent FAG / KOYO or similar.
Ended up getting a NOS top bearing from Dunsfold as even the very expensive genuine Land Rover part (supplied by Blanchard) didn’t fit correctly
I have stripped many series steering columns over the years and every single one has needed a new inner shaft due to damage of the bearing races.
Last one I did I used new inner column with a rebuild kit but replaced all the unbranded loose ball bearings with equivalent FAG / KOYO or similar.
Ended up getting a NOS top bearing from Dunsfold as even the very expensive genuine Land Rover part (supplied by Blanchard) didn’t fit correctly
- Bob or is it Kate
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm
- Location: Somerset
Re: Steering Box Overhaul
Thx both, sounds like a fair project
Re: Steering Box Overhaul
Its not that difficult. Just requires a lot of patience and grease!
If you do decide to do it, the information in the Land Rover workshop manual is good on this. Also get yourself a tube of Wellseal. Best stuff for steering boxes and many other jobs too!
If you do decide to do it, the information in the Land Rover workshop manual is good on this. Also get yourself a tube of Wellseal. Best stuff for steering boxes and many other jobs too!
- Bob or is it Kate
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm
- Location: Somerset
Re: Steering Box Overhaul
Thx again
Re: Steering Box Overhaul
I followed Steam Wally who is very meticulous and it's easy to watch the video and copy what he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32y8EHGcho4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32y8EHGcho4