What's this for, then?

Discuss specialist military equipment i.e. Night Vision Goggles, Magellan GPS, Special Forces Kit, Abseil equipment, Diving and Aquatic gear etc
User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

What's this for, then?

Post by removeduser185 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 am

Not in a box and not directly Land Rover related, but...

I was out for a walk with the dog on Sunday and I came across this at the edge of the lake. So, recognising it instantly for what it was, I brought it home with me. Good isn't it? It's military and it's obvious what it is, of course, but, can anyone out there tell me what it is for?
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 6852 times

chipbury
Master Baker
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Bath

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by chipbury » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 am

Hi Fred,

Tow hitch bolt or windscreen bolt?

Cheers,

Chris
2A - 39 FG 70

User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by removeduser185 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:46 pm

That's a good guess as far as it goes, but, no it isn't for a towing hook and much too heavy for anything to do with a windscreen I would imagine at 5" long and with a 2 1/2" nut. Of course, in your world, it might well be for something like that, but, this isn't nautical, though I did find it on the bank of a lake. I would imagine Neil has used one or two in his time...

User avatar
landymad
Admin
Posts: 3979
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 am
Location: Doncaster

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by landymad » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 pm

Isn't she a big one lol.
I've no idea, must be off something bigger than a lightweight maybe a DAF or something.
Rob.
Chairman and Webmaster.

1972 Series III Lightweight GS 200Tdi
----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by removeduser185 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Yep! She's a whopper! I reckon any REME reccy-mech would recognise it - and so would any sapper. Of course, now I've brought it home, what am I going to do with it? It won't fit anything I have!

andrewjsimpson1977
Cake Guru
Posts: 3613
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: Befordshire

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 pm

Fred wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:34 pm
Yep! She's a whopper! I reckon any REME reccy-mech would recognise it - and so would any sapper. Of course, now I've brought it home, what am I going to do with it? It won't fit anything I have!
Is it a pivot pin for a pintle of some sort? For pivoting a weapon?

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by AR4412 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am

Hiya Fred! :D ,

My first thoughts when I saw the bolt were that it was from the end of an anchor plate, but I remember the bolt head and nut to be thinner. That might just be me though.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

User avatar
removeduser185
Cake Guru
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by removeduser185 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:33 pm

AR4412 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am
Hiya Fred! :D ,

My first thoughts when I saw the bolt were that it was from the end of an anchor plate, but I remember the bolt head and nut to be thinner. That might just be me though.

Regards,
:-wav-: We have a winner! Yep. It's the bolt from the end of an anchor, earth, holdfast. I was wandering beside the reservoir a couple of weeks ago and the water level is well down. About two years ago a TA Sapper push was on exercise there and they were messing about in assault boats. They rigged up an AEH at the edge of the water and, when they left, they were clearly unable to get the pins out of the rock so the AEH had to stay there. Eventually the water level rose again (it was also low that summer) and everything disappeared. With the level being low again, I just happened to be at the spot and there was the nut and bolt lying on the ground with the AEH just below the water level. I tried to see whether I could recover the AEH as well, but, no there were four pins driven right in and they aren't going anywhere! So, there is it. I suppose they are mainly sapper bits of kit, but they were also carried on the front bumpers of Millie Mk3 recovery vehicles (and on other rec'y vehs I am sure) - hence the REME connection. Of course, I now have no idea what to do with it!

User avatar
AR4412
Maître Pâtissier
Posts: 8934
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:31 am
Location: Bedford

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by AR4412 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Hiya Fred! :D ,

It was about the only thing that I could think of that used a bolt of it's dimentions. I have knocked a fair few AEH pins in over my years in the Army, mostly when crewing a Foden in Bosnia and doing indirect recoveries. Although I have knocked the odd one or two in when forced to break out a Tirfor winch.

What to do with it? Mmmm? I'm tempted to say post it back to the unit that left it there. Someone's signed for that after all.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

'First my weapon. Then my equipment. Then myself.'

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex 1, 2 and 3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.

andrewjsimpson1977
Cake Guru
Posts: 3613
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: Befordshire

Re: What's this for, then?

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:17 pm

“ I just happened to be at the spot and there was the nut and bolt lying on the ground ”

Oh you ‘just happened to be there’ as soon as they left did you 😂

Post Reply