Paddock's tilts
Paddock's tilts
Hi,
Has anyone tried one of the tilts from Paddocks?
http://www.paddockspares.com/series-lan ... -88in.html
My last one from Undercover Covers is falling apart now after only five years (admittedly it lives outside - but I'm not impressed). I was wondering if the polycotton/cotton mix might be longer lasting.
I know it's not an FFR one, but I (and the kids) like the windows in the back.
Cheers,
Nick
Has anyone tried one of the tilts from Paddocks?
http://www.paddockspares.com/series-lan ... -88in.html
My last one from Undercover Covers is falling apart now after only five years (admittedly it lives outside - but I'm not impressed). I was wondering if the polycotton/cotton mix might be longer lasting.
I know it's not an FFR one, but I (and the kids) like the windows in the back.
Cheers,
Nick
Re: Paddock's tilts
Pretty sure the standard 88" tilt is too big, and hangs lower and looks saggy on a LWT.
I got my last series one from All Wheel Trim based in Whitney Oxfordshire, that was 6/7 years ago,and it's New german owner sent me an email a while back saying how pleased he still was with the 109, and that the new hood was still immaculate.
Paddocks hoods are from Exmoor trim, and I recently had to have one of theirs for my 130.
Within a few days it had shrunk more than expected, and now looks a tad short.
For military Hoods, I would still advise people to go to Undercover Covers, as they were the firm that made the originals.
Maybe contact Undercover covers, or have a word with them at Newbury (if you're going), and ask what the problem is? (take some pics of the hood, and tell them what you have done to maintain it.)
Regards,
Mal.
I got my last series one from All Wheel Trim based in Whitney Oxfordshire, that was 6/7 years ago,and it's New german owner sent me an email a while back saying how pleased he still was with the 109, and that the new hood was still immaculate.
Paddocks hoods are from Exmoor trim, and I recently had to have one of theirs for my 130.
Within a few days it had shrunk more than expected, and now looks a tad short.
For military Hoods, I would still advise people to go to Undercover Covers, as they were the firm that made the originals.
Maybe contact Undercover covers, or have a word with them at Newbury (if you're going), and ask what the problem is? (take some pics of the hood, and tell them what you have done to maintain it.)
Regards,
Mal.
- longlegslandyman
- Posts: 314
- Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 am
- Location: Herne Bay Kent
Re: Paddock's tilts
Hi
Thought under covers were top notch supplier , was going to order a ffr tilt and a Sankey cover from them this year.
I too have a tilt that's only lasted 5 years and has started to give up ,the rear window has split and hole has started to form over cab.
Was only a cheap new ebay purchase so didn't expect much ,but i now need a better quality one and would expect 10years from a quality tilt.
regards
paul
Thought under covers were top notch supplier , was going to order a ffr tilt and a Sankey cover from them this year.
I too have a tilt that's only lasted 5 years and has started to give up ,the rear window has split and hole has started to form over cab.
Was only a cheap new ebay purchase so didn't expect much ,but i now need a better quality one and would expect 10years from a quality tilt.
regards
paul
Re: Paddock's tilts
To be fair to Undercover Covers, maintenance has been minimal. I have two problems: bird dropping have been left on for too long, resulting in holes in the roof. Clearly these could have been prevented if I had cleaned them off sooner. But I also have one side panel coming away from the side where it meets the roof section. Maybe if I had re-proofed it all sooner then this too could have been prevented?
- longlegslandyman
- Posts: 314
- Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 am
- Location: Herne Bay Kent
Re: Paddock's tilts
No its the quality of everything these days .stanfonj wrote: ↑Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 amTo be fair to Undercover Covers, maintenance has been minimal. I have two problems: bird dropping have been left on for too long, resulting in holes in the roof. Clearly these could have been prevented if I had cleaned them off sooner. But I also have one side panel coming away from the side where it meets the roof section. Maybe if I had re-proofed it all sooner then this too could have been prevented?
My first tilt was a genuine ex army ffr it was second hand when i bought it i cleaned and waterproofed it once. it sat on the landy outside for 20 years never washed it off once, before the stitching rotted away and the canvas became thin and pin holes started to get larger.even the plastic rear window stayed intact.
I guess like any business to stay trading these days cheaper materials are sourced to keep costs going up .
Have had no end of problems with pattern parts on several of our cars , have to be carefull now to buy brands i now trust as its just money down the drain.
- Sidders101
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2406
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
- Location: Winchester
Re: Paddock's tilts
Ive had many tilts from many suppliers over the years and I can honestly say undercover covers are best by far...
It's like everything in life..if you look after it .it will last. Keeping your vehicle under a tree will reduce the life of it...in bright sunlight for prolong periods etc....a waterproof treatment from time to time won't hurt the tilt either....paddocks tilts are cheap weave and suffer from shrinkage....the club witnessed a dreadful tilt at Peterborough last year which was not fir for purpose.....awful fit..buckles and straps all mis aligned....etc etc...I have an advantage over some as my vehicles are under cover when not in use and are as good a new still after many years.
I would say that 5-8 years in the elements would be the natural life of a tilt.
The military drench the tilts in paint,wax & waterproofing agents so potentially can last for decades...some club lwts have original hoods from the 70's still going strong.
Incidently I have an original swb 88 ffr hood for sale at Newbury if anyone interested...needs a small amount of work but still watertight and serviceable.
It's like everything in life..if you look after it .it will last. Keeping your vehicle under a tree will reduce the life of it...in bright sunlight for prolong periods etc....a waterproof treatment from time to time won't hurt the tilt either....paddocks tilts are cheap weave and suffer from shrinkage....the club witnessed a dreadful tilt at Peterborough last year which was not fir for purpose.....awful fit..buckles and straps all mis aligned....etc etc...I have an advantage over some as my vehicles are under cover when not in use and are as good a new still after many years.
I would say that 5-8 years in the elements would be the natural life of a tilt.
The military drench the tilts in paint,wax & waterproofing agents so potentially can last for decades...some club lwts have original hoods from the 70's still going strong.
Incidently I have an original swb 88 ffr hood for sale at Newbury if anyone interested...needs a small amount of work but still watertight and serviceable.
Sidders
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
Re: Paddock's tilts
Sidders101 wrote: ↑Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:19 pm
Incidently I have an original swb 88 ffr hood for sale at Newbury if anyone interested...needs a small amount of work but still watertight and serviceable.
LWt or standard 88"?
Regards,
Mal.
- Sidders101
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2406
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
- Location: Winchester
Re: Paddock's tilts
Ffr......all lightweights were are fitted with ffr tilts from factory..unless h/top.
Civilian 88" fitted with GS tilts.
Civilian 88" fitted with GS tilts.
Sidders
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: Paddock's tilts
If anyone wants a civilian style tilt, I have a nearly new one. I want to replace it with an FFR one from Undercover Covers just as soon as I think I can justify it.
Fred
Fred
- norcoatomique
- Master Baker
- Posts: 1311
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Faringdon Oxfordshire
Re: Paddock's tilts
Ive always used under cover covers tilts on all my half tons, superb quality, they even make them for the MOD.
i would never ever use another manufactures version, treat every year and keep out of direct sunlight when not in use.
i would never ever use another manufactures version, treat every year and keep out of direct sunlight when not in use.
Certa Cito.