Rear load grab rail airportable ????
- Sidders101
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2406
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
- Location: Winchester
Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Hi all....as some of you know I was lucky enough to receive the LWT bible book. For Crimbo....and in there it states that a grab rail/bar was fitted between the rear bulkhead and the mystery hole on the lower tailgate..well guess what..?? I want one..I have never seen one or even a picture...anyone got an image or a part number for this item....??
Sidders
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Don't we all! It is a 346118 Grabrail. Pipe, steel, seamless, galvanised 1"ODx 49-3/8" Long and it needs a 566813, clip, spring tension, steel phos, 7/8" ID Loop, Qty 2.Sidders101 wrote:Hi all....as some of you know I was lucky enough to receive the LWT bible book. For Crimbo....and in there it states that a grab rail/bar was fitted between the rear bulkhead and the mystery hole on the lower tailgate..well guess what..?? I want one..I have never seen one or even a picture...anyone got an image or a part number for this item....??
I have read someone on another forum claiming he has one. Apparently it was there from new, and unmoved because it could only be removed if the upper tub side was removed first. That would make sense as that would be the only time you'd need it, but, were that the case, I can't help thinking I, and many others, would have come across them during our service as they simply wouldn't have been removed as the vast majority of Lightweights never had the upper tub sides taken off in their lives. I suspect that, while they may well have been issued with early vehicles, either they were removed at base depots, or simply dropped altogether for later issues. Certainly, I have never seen one and never held one in the G1098 store against CES as far as I can recall.
But - even nicer and more of a holy grail is the "pram top" canvas tried out on the first Rover 1 prototypes. Now that I would like. As I wrote recently, I have only ever seen a picture of one in Clive's copy of Claudio Lencioni's book. Prior to that I had never heard of it.
Fred
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
The grab rail slotted into the lower rear tailgate in stripped down form, and was bolted to the top of the tub bulkhead. Something to grab onto in the back in the early models, where it was clipped onto bulkhead when not fitted. Think it was discontinued on the S3 Lightweights.
There is a pic of the rail fitted on a preproduction model in The Half Ton Military Land Rover book.
There is a pic of the rail fitted on a preproduction model in The Half Ton Military Land Rover book.
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Fred would that be "full tilt" aka "britpart" aka "grumpy b"? I seem to remember him thinking he had one, but I don't get the chance to visit other forums these days, just not enough time.
I have read about them, but only ever seen a very few photos of them. An original is a rare thing and I'm firmly if the belief they were dropped very early one
I have read about them, but only ever seen a very few photos of them. An original is a rare thing and I'm firmly if the belief they were dropped very early one

Rudolf Hess was the editor of mine Kampf, so was he the first grammar nazi?
Tring, Hertfordshire
- Sidders101
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2406
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
- Location: Winchester
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Alz....what page..? Also Fred....surely this item could be removed from the vehicle without the neccesaty of removing the tub sides as previously mentioned it's bolted to the centre.? Of the rear bulkhead.
Sidders
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
From what I know it goes from the hole in the lower tailgate to the square section riveted to the front of the tub, was probably found to be of no use so was quickly binned...
Top Cocker and Bodger
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Page 25. And, yes, I agree entirely. I cannot imagine why this would be prevented from being removed without the tub sides first being unbolted and, anyway, the IPC states the need for two clips. But, that is the claim I read. I don't think it would have been bolted, though. Looking at the pictures in Mark's book, it seems to be attached right at the very top of the forward tub bulkhead, but it isn't clear how, I assume some sort of socket - certainly it is positioned higher than the rectangular slot to the NS of the vertical spar half way down the bulkhead, though, as this is a trials vehicle it could be that the production ones were indeed secured at the front end using this socket. Then, with the lower tailboard released, it would slot into the round hole there and be held fast once the tailboard was, once again, secured. As I know the dimensions, when I have time I intend to make one and see how it fits together.Sidders101 wrote:Alz....what page..? Also Fred....surely this item could be removed from the vehicle without the neccesaty of removing the tub sides as previously mentioned it's bolted to the centre.? Of the rear bulkhead.
Yep! That's the guy!Tinweasel wrote:Fred would that be "full tilt" aka "britpart" aka "grumpy b"? I seem to remember him thinking he had one, but I don't get the chance to visit other forums these days, just not enough time.
Fred
- Sidders101
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2406
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm
- Location: Winchester
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Apparently the clip 566813 is a terry clip.these are used for stowing the bar underneath the gun racks.
Is there even a drawing of this grab rail anywhere..is it on the parts diagram cd..?
Is there even a drawing of this grab rail anywhere..is it on the parts diagram cd..?
Sidders
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)
- removeduser185
- Cake Guru
- Posts: 3531
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:37 pm
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
It doesn't appear in the IPC from 1982, but is listed in the Brooklands reprint, but without a picture. I think start with a 1" outer diameter tube 49 and 3/8" long and go from there.Sidders101 wrote:Apparently the clip 566813 is a terry clip.these are used for stowing the bar underneath the gun racks.
Is there even a drawing of this grab rail anywhere..is it on the parts diagram cd..?
Fred
- fv1620
- Bake Off Judge
- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm
- Location: GB-CMN (formerly UK91)
- Contact:
Re: Rear load grab rail airportable ????
Just perusing DGFVE Specification 341 Jan 1980 Truck GS 0.5 Tonne 4x4 Rover (Series 3)alz wrote:The grab rail slotted into the lower rear tailgate in stripped down form, and was bolted to the top of the tub bulkhead. Something to grab onto in the back in the early models, where it was clipped onto bulkhead when not fitted. Think it was discontinued on the S3 Lightweights.
- Attachments
-
- Dsc00336a.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Clive Elliott
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.
Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.