Malvern 4x4 and spares 14/1/18

Information on any events can be posted here.
Jon S

Re: Malvern 4x4 and spares 14/1/18

Post by Jon S » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 pm

Indeed, I will have the list of the missing 3/4 drive sockets with me.

I'm going for the world record of "how long it can take to build up a full set of Metric and Imperial 3/4 drive sockets from autojumbles". :D 6 years and counting.......

Regards - Jon
57 KB 69 SIII Winterised GS - Ex 29 CDO RA
29 EN 56 Sankey Narrow Track - Ex 12 Engr Bde
34 ET 35 Sankey Narrow Track - History not yet researched

Landie68
Master Baker

Post by Landie68 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: see you there then Jon, and I'll know where to find you
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 pm

An interesting few hours at Malvern today. Good to bump into Jon and Richard and, briefly, David MG. I was able to give Jon the removable gearbox cross-member which I owed him, so that's another bit of scrap gone from the garage!

A reasonable turn-out from the traders - about the same as November, so not bigger, as billed, I think. The cold weather doesn't help, but, at least it was dry. Of course, as is increasingly the case, the amount of spares for coil-springers and Discoverys is now far outweighing that for Series, but, as is always the case, there were a few Series 1s there - I think the club use the event for the chance to have a gather and a natter. It is still a great sale for very grubby seating, door cards and the like.

Lightweight stuff? Bits and pieces including some panels - wings, grille-panels, a bonnet spring to mind. Things like jerricans and uniform and equipment were in good quantities and I saw a couple of mint 1-gallon ex-army oil cans (the dark green ones) with correct stamping on the base - each for £4 which was good. Undercover Covers were there, of course, with a selection of their stuff. I was looking for a new starter dog with trumpet. Didn't find one, just a starter dog on its own and that had been given a good wellying with a chisel to get it off - marks a smart coat of black paint couldn't hide. I also hoped to find some "T" seals for the rear crankshaft bearing case - as you know, I am having problems fitting my new ones (after buying two pairs, one, from Craddocks, of all people, were flimsy cork things thinner than the old ones and not even the same thickness as each other, while the second pair were rubber, better quality, but miles too thick and they're never gong to fit. I shall talk to Turners tomorrow and see what they say.

I was pleased to pick up a reasonable red and black warning sign (the one which goes on the bonnet slam plate and seatbox) for £2 which is a good price, I think, seeing as repro ones are £16 and another £2 bought me the little metal plate which holds the 4WD lever to the side of the transmission tunnel - you may remember that mine was a home-made jobby.

As ever, the car park provided a good deal of interest - as I left there was a chap fitting the most enormous pair of dirt tyres to his Disco 2 - aside from their width making them illegal, I would imagine he had a rather noisy drive home!

A hearty lunch in The Stockman's Cafe completed the day. Sorry to have missed Kevin and that Clive was unable to accompany - though, I am sure, he missed very little.

Fred
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

MG Mal

Post by MG Mal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm

I was called into work in the end, so didn't couldn't go up anyway.

Sounds very much like the Donnington and Skipton days are, lots of boingy, not so much leafy.

Regards,

Mal.

andrewjsimpson1977
Bake Off Judge

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Glad you found the 4WD plate Fred - I was hunting through my boxes for you as I was convinced I had a spare. Funnily enough I found it today - but someone in its past has seen fit to drill a second hole, overlapping the first one where the lever comes out. Can't think why anyone would need to do that, but hey ho.

Landie68
Master Baker

Post by Landie68 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 am

Having found Andy an alternative colour scheme to play with today , I was joined by Fred and Jon for a cold wander around. 2 best buys of the day, a strip of leather suitable for the rifle brackets and a set of 24 Volt relays, god knows which is which, but I will get there. Missed Kevin who apparently was there, would have been interesting to see if he could fix the vent panel, never mind, a trip into deepest darkest Wales doth beckon me thinks.

Best bit of the day, brunch in the Stockmans Cafe
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's