Advice on removing rear floor

If you have encountered or solved a problem post here
Foz31

Re: Advice on removing rear floor

Post by Foz31 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:52 pm

I've refitted the new floor and cross members. I ended up riveting the rubber pads onto the cross members to keep them in place (rivet acts more like a lug but it helped). I lined up the cross member holes with those on the tub side flange and held them in place with hand placed rivets whilst I fitted the floor having applied Tiger Seal along all 4 flanges. I then drilled and riveted the top hat sections to the cross members from underneath. I wedged a length of wood widthwise across the tub to push the side flanges out to the right width.

The cross members looked pretty perpendicular to the chassis when I fitted and pinned them, but unfortunately the old rear member must have been on squif, as I couldn't line up all 3 sets of holes. I bit the bullet and drilled new holes in the floor from underneath...not ideal but all in all I'm very relieved to get it all back in place. I'll fill the original holes and paint over.

I put 5 rivets along the rear edge, another 2 (one in each corner) on the front (in addition to the 6 pre-drilled), and then another 4 down each side edge for good measure. Pretty sure it's not going anywhere!

I'll fabricate and fit my two patches, apply more paint then fit the floor strips and I'll be good to go. Looks so much better from underneath now 😊

Thanks for all the advice and help.
Attachments
IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 146 times
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 146 times
25HF03 Series III 200Tdi

Landie68
Master Baker

Post by Landie68 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Looking really smart there, brilliant job. I also found 1 cross member was out by 3mm and like you, bit the bullet and drilled new holes.
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Foz31 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:52 pm
Looks so much better from underneath now 😊
Speaking as someone who was once run over by a Land Rover, that pleases me greatly!

But, yes, a lovely job and having a waterproof rear tub floor will be a fine improvement.

Fred
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

Foz31

Post by Foz31 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Refitted the floor strips (conscious decision not to rub them down to clean metal). Halfway through I started a new bag of rivets and 2 out of 3 snapped off but with half the mandrel left in...a couple tapped through but the rest needed drilling out...grrrr! Why does that happen? Just a duff batch or am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 121 times
25HF03 Series III 200Tdi

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Foz31 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:09 pm
Refitted the floor strips (conscious decision not to rub them down to clean metal). Halfway through I started a new bag of rivets and 2 out of 3 snapped off but with half the mandrel left in...a couple tapped through but the rest needed drilling out...grrrr! Why does that happen? Just a duff batch or am I doing something wrong?

That looks a great job - very neat and the rivets along the rear edge look fine and have produced a nice flat edge. I had an occasional "blind" with my riveting as well, it's a real pain when the mandrel shank remains in and proud of the rivet head as it means you can't simply drill it out as the drill bit slips off it. It can happen if you don't have the rivet gun absolutely square with the hole, but I am sure, it can also be caused by a weaker mandrel than should be. Keep at it, though!

Fred
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

Foz31

Post by Foz31 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks Fred, could well be that as my hands tired I started to hold the gun at an angle...

I'm now setting about patching the tub side - one where a stowage staple has completely corrodedout the ally, and one where the tailgate chain mounting has been ripped out. Planning to patch with some ally sheeting. Not going to try and make it an "invisible" repair, both will sit proud but I'll probably paint over them. Also cleaning up the rear seats before refitting (quite rusty at the mounting points) then pretty much there...part from the leaking fuel tank...oh, and the rusted out passenger door...and...😳
25HF03 Series III 200Tdi