Monty the rather rusty 2A - 37FG31

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
andrewjsimpson1977
Bake Off Judge

Re: Monty the rather rusty 2A - 37FG31

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Saturday was all about restarting on the bulkhead. It snowed today. Not the best start, particularly as it was swiftly followed by me simultaneously running out of both gas mix and wire for the welder.

Digging through my box of welding spares I found the flux core wire that came with the welder, and which I immediately ignored as I was fitting the gas conversion kit.

Well it couldn’t hurt to try could it? A quick switch of polarity, a realignment of the warp drive, and a reset of the phase-shift discombobulator and we were good to go.

WHY HAVENT I TRIED THIS BEFORE!!?!?

Much better penetration and overall power delivery than with the gas setup, and the welding runs were much more continuous and less ‘spattery’. One downside though, is that the flux core seems to get so hot, it has bent the new foot outwards slightly. I’ll get it ratcheted back tomorrow if there is time.

I have now seam-welded the replacement ‘foot’, and drilled it out to accept the tube rescued from the remnants of the old foot. I need some more grinding discs to get the welds dressed back, but at least it is now solid.

8FD0138A-DE00-4B98-B44C-D0F62A805B22.jpeg
8FD0138A-DE00-4B98-B44C-D0F62A805B22.jpeg (131.39 KiB) Viewed 92 times
The facia though, is not so good news. I have come to the conclusion there is so much damage and missing metal, that the only way I’m going to end up with a nice straight one, is to make a whole new facia panel.

EC3C1CDB-E08E-4617-A7D7-09DD039B03A2.jpeg
EC3C1CDB-E08E-4617-A7D7-09DD039B03A2.jpeg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 92 times
It’s basically just a flat piece of steel with two bent returns at the bottom edge to connect to the footwells. A spotweld drill bit should have the old one removed from the centre panel without too much fuss, and now the goalpost is repaired, it seems the easiest path to a complete bulkhead. One of the dash boxes needs repairing anyway so what have I got to lose.

A long day with not too much to show for my efforts photo-wise, but at least it’s progress.

All the best,

Andy

Oneandtwo

Post by Oneandtwo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 am

Someone produced new replacement bulkhead full width dash sections a few years ago with the correct pressings for the instrument recesses.

andrewjsimpson1977
Bake Off Judge

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Oneandtwo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 am
Someone produced new replacement bulkhead full width dash sections a few years ago with the correct pressings for the instrument recesses.
I do remember that being mentioned previously, but couldn’t find any trace via an online search.

Anyone know if these are around somewhere? If not, option b is to stitch the central pressing between two new left and right sections. This I can do, but a single panel would be easier.

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

andrewjsimpson1977 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm
Oneandtwo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 am
I do remember that being mentioned previously, but couldn’t find any trace via an online search.

Anyone know if these are around somewhere? If not, option b is to stitch the central pressing between two new left and right sections. This I can do, but a single panel would be easier.
Blimey Andy, you've got your work cut out there mate, sorry cannot help with the single panel, I seem to remember something about it but that's as far as it goes.
Best of luck and keep up the good work.
Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Fred wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 pm
andrewjsimpson1977 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 pm
Very kind. Of course - spot the obvious mistake - I now have doubts that I'll be able to get a couple of the water pump securing bolts in, with the fan and pulley in place :lol:

So they will be getting knocked off tomorrow while I fit the bolts and then try to line up the fan holes again...

zzzzzz
It never ceases to amaze me how often I make those sort of silly mistakes. I'm not (completely) daft and I always think things through before I get onto them with a spanner, but it doesn't seem to make any difference - the PO of mine had omitted the top retaining bolt and spacer for the timing marker,

Fred
OK! I am daft! The PO couldn't have omitted the top retaining bolt of the timing marker, could he? It holds the adjusting slide for the alternator in place and so, if it wasn't there, the alternator would be floppy. So where was mine? In the bag marked "Alternator fixings". I discovered my mistake looking at a picture of an engine online today which shows it clearly.
Shame, really, I've just bought replacements! A fool and his money...
Ho hum!

Fred