23HF14

Tell us about any of your Land Rover related projects here.
andrewjsimpson1977
Bake Off Judge

Re: 23HF14

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Looking great! There's definitely a reason or two in there for a pat on the back.

What's up next? Seat box?

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Trickyh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:41 am
Tubs looking really good there Fred! I whither every time I look at the state of mine (think a tarp might go over it at the weekend, so I don't have to look at it)

Can I ask what paint system and colour you are using? I'm leaning towards getting the big bits done locally and the small bits in my workshop..
I'm so sorry, I missed the question and I should have responded quicker. Certainly. I am using NATO green MV paint from these people https://www.militaryvehiclepaint.co.uk. It doesn't need a great deal of effort and produces a good effect. I had never used a spray gun until I did the tub. Up to that point I was using rattle cans for the smaller bits. But, the MV paint is easy to use and I put it on using a basic (Silverline, I think) top-feed spray gun and a cheap water separator on a 50l compressor which I bought second hand. I also have a grease gun, tyre inflator and air blower for the compressor and have used all of them quite often. I am pleased with the NATO green paint and the acid etch primer, though it hasn't stuck as well to the galv chassis as it should have done, so the chassis paint which was put on top flakes off rather easily. I sprayed in front of my garage and the overspray was negligible so it is very user-friendly.

Fred

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Landie68 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:22 pm
Really looking good and kind of looking like a lightweight again, well done Fred.
I still sit twiddling my thumbs waiting on the fabrication of the tub bulkhead and flimsy side panels. Oh well, I suppose I can get the rims painted whilst I wait.
It's funny how it now feels like a Land Rover I am working on rather than a collection of parts! Though today was spent with more mundane stuff - cleaning, de-greasing, de-rusting and prepping the door locks and mounting plates, sorting out the seat belts so I can fix the tub at the front, fiddling with the tailgate - the hinges aren't really long enough to fit over the pegs quite as easily as they should - it could be that the new chassis has the hinges lower down or that the tub is riding slightly higher than it ought to be (though the rear cross-member bolts lined up OK) Not quite sure what I shall do about that, but perhaps things will settle a bit before I come to attach the tub upper sides.

What else today? Well, I checked that I have electrical continuity to the front end of the rear wiring loom and that the earth straps are working OK. I then fitted the toolbox, but couldn't fit the blanking plate on the offside because the fixings had still to be cleaned up and de-rusted - so they're soaking overnight so I can do them tomorrow. And I dug out the upper tub sides. I was going to leave them until later, but, as I had a collapse in the garage of various piles of stuff the other day, I thought that, a bit of work and I can get them out of the way by putting them on the tub.

Fred

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:44 pm

andrewjsimpson1977 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm
Looking great! There's definitely a reason or two in there for a pat on the back.

What's up next? Seat box?
No, the seatbox will have to wait for a while. I will quickly sort out the upper tub sides, then I want to prep the bulkhead and get that ready for fitting out and then sort the gearbox and get that in place before I fit the fuel tanks so I have room to move about. Seatbox will probably follow as all the pipes from the fuel tanks need to be plumbed in to it and the handbrake will need a home.
So plenty still to do!

And it rained pretty much all day... again!

Fred

Trickyh

Post by Trickyh » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 am

Fred wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 pm
. I am pleased with the NATO green paint and the acid etch primer, though it hasn't stuck as well to the galv chassis as it should have done, so the chassis paint which was put on top flakes off rather easily.
Hi Fred, thanks for the detailed answer. I wonder if you should have used the zinc based primer rather than the acid etch on the chassis? My bulkhead was cleaned up and galvanised some 9 years ago then sprayed over in white. This is now flaking off in sheets where it didn't adhere to the basecoat. It doesn't worry me (too much) as I am going back to metal anyway, but I think i'll use zinc primer on the steel and acid etch on the aluminium.

Do you know roughly how much paint you are going to use? I was think 5 litres each of etch, zinc and top coat?

Rich

Edit: Just noted in their spiel that the acid etch is also suitable for galvanised... :|

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Trickyh wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 am

Do you know roughly how much paint you are going to use? I was think 5 litres each of etch, zinc and top coat?

Rich
It's a bit difficult to say as I have used quite a lot of rattle cans - more than I ought had I been disciplined, but I do tend to fiddle and spray small parts "to see what they'll look like" and so on. But, for the spray gun I used 2 1/2 litres on the tub and have another 5 litres for the rest - I hope that's enough.

Fred

Bob Fell
Master Baker

Post by Bob Fell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi Fred,
There's so many interesting posts on your rebuild it's a job to keep up with it all but excellent work, the tub looks lovely, a credit to you 8-)
Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Sorry, chaps, I have been a bit quiet for a week. I had a catastrophic failure of my computer last week. So, £500 later, I have a new one, but it isn't all there yet - the hard drive from the old one has yet to be installed and I have no e-mail. But, what else? I ordered a new tin of NATO green from Fascinating Finishes and took the opportunity of a rare dry morning to spray the upper tub sides. Result? Bloody paint is the wrong colour AGAIN! Really cross. FF were very polite, but full of rubbish about how the latest paint is different from the original stuff I bought as there is now no lead in it (I only bought the first lot about 18 months ago) and when I said that the last lot of spray cans I ordered were fine and they arrived only a few weeks ago, I was told they were mixed specially for me - which seems unlikely as the shade was exact - and exactly matching all the rest I had bought (and the original paint on the Land Rover). Blah blah blah. Anyway, they sent me some black to add to my tin to get the right shade (it would have made more sense to have simply replaced the 5l, I would have thought) so I will see how I get on, but, if I fail to get the right shade, I'll be on to them in a jiffy as, clearly the paint they sent is NOT NATO green - I have seen plenty of that and it isn't that colour! So, bottom line, I withdraw my endorsement of Fascinating Finishes!
DSCF7233.JPG
DSCF7233.JPG (662.62 KiB) Viewed 40 times
. I shan't add much more until I get a mouse back up and working - I cannot, for the life of me, manage the silly thing on the top of the laptop for moving the cursor around! In the meantime, best to all. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!
Fred

Sidders101
Master Baker

Post by Sidders101 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Feel your pain Fred mate..myself (& others) have had the same issue...2 tins of paint from the same supplier..same batch numbers...different shade...AGGGGGH
But the tailgate looks toasty bud.See u at Newbury..I have something for you.
1974 Series 3 LWT 12v RHD 69-FM-24 , Royal Marines ("Intrepid")
1976 101 forward control gun tractor 12v RHD- 73-FL-43 ex 1,2 & 3 Para ("Kryten")
1979 Sankey NT Trailer 06-HF-86 78 Engr Reg (Herman)
1978 Trophy Frank Spencer impression (1st place)

andrewjsimpson1977
Bake Off Judge

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:30 am

Hiya mate - sorry to hear about your paint woes. I've have really good experiences with 'The paint man' - the service is brilliant (next day delivery and friendly staff on the phone) and the quality of the paint was excellent.

Regardless of colour issues, the panels are looking spot on - I know you'll have some rubbing down to do before you put the final (correct shade of) green on but it's all extra protection.

All the best,

Andy