Vent panel

Post here for parts and accesories wanted. Trade/Business adverts, without permission from The Forum Admin will be removed.
Landie68
Master Baker

Vent panel

Post by Landie68 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm

I am after some serious advice in respect of my vent panel problem.

Situation at present, I have a supposedly "rebuilt vent panel" fully galvanised by a well known company that is totally not fit for purpose due to a) it not being the correct one for my lwt and b) it is bowed beyond reasonable tolerance.

I have written to said company asking them to propose a solution within 7 working days or be taken to court. Their 7 days have now gone by and of course no response from them.

There are some varying priced vent panels around, none being cheap, so do I go for the series 2a vent panel and get the hinges changed, or do I go for the mega expensive series 3 vent panel that has been galvanised. Bear in mind I have to try and get this through a court of law, and I have to give the company in question reasonable access to the vent panel they supplied. I don't want to make money out of this, just justice and the ability to move on.

If anyone has other solutions, I am all ears, but want to get my claim into court this week.
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

landymad
Site Admin & Webmaster

Re: Vent panel

Post by landymad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I believe and the courts may be your only option if they are not willing to discuss the issues. Have you called them?

If you want to pm me im more than happy to make contact as the club, im not saying it will do much however ever little helps. Also it may be worth contacting one of the landy mags, you never know.

Rob.
Rob.

1972 Series III Lightweight GS 200Tdi
----------------------------------------------------------

Bob Fell
Bake Off Judge

Post by Bob Fell » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi Richard,
Beware the mega expensive vent panel on gleebay, it is not an SIII panel as described by the seller, it is a reworked 2A, the windscreen hinge mounts are too square at the top, missing the more rounded profile of the SIII, also the end gussets on SIII's are wider than 2A, hence on this reworked example the windscreen mounts weld overlap onto the main fascia, and of course there is the 2A washer mount in the center. I personally don't think it is worth the money as it is wrong. You'll never be able to live with it.

I sympathize with your dilemma, but regrettably there are no easy answers. Maybe your best option is to go and see the well known people and discuss options face to face.

Regards
Bob
042Bobf

19HF27 Lightweight FFR ex Gurkha Field Force HQ, various Gurkha Sigs Tps and Comp Ord Depot Hong Kong 1980-1997.
42ET39 Narrow Track Sankey ex BAOR 22 & 7 Sig Regts, 16/5 Lancers, 2 RTR, 9/12 Lancers & QDG 1969-2001.

landymad
Site Admin & Webmaster

Post by landymad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Bob Fell wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:29 pm
Maybe your best option is to go and see the well known people and discuss options face to face.
If possible, a good call.
Rob.

andrewjsimpson1977
Bake Off Judge

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Beggars belief that this is how they treat their customers... it does their reputation no good - you would think that as the years roll on, and the Land Rover / defender as we have known it is consigned to history, a big chunk of their business will cease to be upgrading new / current machines, and more and more would be providing legacy parts to classics.

I won’t do business with them partly based on the experiences of folks on here and other sites, and partly because their prices for repair work are frankly beyond the pale. It’s a-holes like that that encouraged me to buy my own welder. My advice, pick up a life-long skill and ditch the likes of naff crock engineering (not that it helps you in the immediate sense).

And for the record no one is too busy to return emails or phone calls, that’s just disrespectful lazy [email protected] taking the michael.

Sorry for the ire, I’ve been studying at ‘Graham’s school of Grr’ this week :lol:

Landie68
Master Baker

Post by Landie68 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

I have emails from said company acknowledging their error, but subsequently a silent refusal to respond to telephone calls, or to acknowledge emails.

Rob pm on its way

Bob an option I have not entirely ruled out, but had hope they might have wanted to protect their reputation, because even with a resolution with a personal visit, I would be thinking of using media and the net of warning others before anymore innocents get fingers burnt.
Regards
Richard

Discovery Sport
15FM83 ex 15 Para and 7 PO's

the landy man
Bake Off Judge

Post by the landy man » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 pm

I made a great deal with this company back in 2009 when I was building the 'sand lightweight" .I got a repaired bulkhead,top rail and front grille all galved,worth over 1k at their market prices,I just swapped a few knackered old bulkheads and a couple of rotten top rails,couldn't fault the company then but oh how their reputation has fallen away!Such a shame.
..ROD..
Bognor Regis,West Sussex

1972 S3 LIGHTWEIGHT 53 AM 74,RAF GS .Waddington strike command
1979 LIGHTWEIGHT 10 GX 11,GS .Black watch 1st battalion
1964 SERIES 2A..
Sankey narrow track,desert sand.
Mankey Sankey NT.
Armstrong MT500, green. (no relation to Neil)
1959 Triumph 5TA .

landymad
Site Admin & Webmaster

Post by landymad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 pm

It is disappointing and unacceptable. You learn a lot about a company when things go wrong, its easy any other time.
Rob.