An unusual recipe

Share pictures of cakes that you have made, seen, bought, shared or eaten alone.
Fred
Bake Off Judge

An unusual recipe

Post by Fred » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 pm

I thought you might like to see a picture of a cake as it is a long time since there's been one on the Forum (and it might encourage Keith to post again).

This is an unusual one - the result of a glut of apples and courgettes in the Upper Towi Valley this year. It is a courgette cake (like a carrot cake, but with fewer carrots and more courgettes (zuccini if you're from across the pond!) It has "apple frosting" apparently - with cinnamon and toasted oats on top. Verdict? Delicious. I didn't post a copy of my birthday cake for two reasons: 1. It didn't last long enough and 2. It contained marzipan!
Cake 25 Sep 18.jpg
Cake 25 Sep 18.jpg (377.11 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

andrewjsimpson1977
Cake Guru

Re: An unusual recipe

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 pm

I really hate courgettes. But as its in cake form, what the hell.. looks delicious!

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 pm

You probably wouldn't have enjoyed lunch here today, then. We had courgette soup, followed by chilli with courgette rice and then finished off the courgette cake! Actually, it was all very nice and, of course, the cake doesn't taste of courgettes at all!
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14

Keith
Pastry Chef

Post by Keith » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Hiya Fred and fello LWT forum members.
Classic cars and military Landrovers just haven't been on my list of priorities over the past year or so. As a result Iv not been visiting the LWT and other forums very much , it must have been the mention of cake that wafted it's way to the Ipad.
Moved out of the home first week of January and everything went into storage. Since then it's been meltdown, hospitals visited frequently, 8 months of house searching, with only just 8 weeks ago ending up with an 110 yr old Church of Scotland manse. Needs full restoration and I'm in the caravan in the garden for a while.
The LWT hasn't seen the light of day for months on end with only a short trip out to the MOT station which I posted on here with a pass . Ill never know how though as it's not had maintenance for a long time.
Kids started new school and I'm knackered permanently and don't know when I'll get the LWT outa it's container. I for the first time have no garages, huts or tool sheds with all tools in boxes seemingly forever. Iv always had wheels off all my vehicles weekly and a massive maintenance regime so this unable to work my cars is seriously pissing me off witH no chance of getting my cars here in Edinburgh anytime soon.
Some good build threads going on here also.
Best I can do is to make a cake for the forum and I'll be glad to include a thick layer of obligatory marzipan.
Cheers
Keith
Close Protection Officer
VIP transport, travel & accommodation

andrewjsimpson1977
Cake Guru

Post by andrewjsimpson1977 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Knew I could count on you to have some taste Keith.

Sorry to hear you’ve had so much upheaval- it’ll settle down eventually I’m sure, but it must be hard - I know from the photos in your previous post you are a man who likes to keep his ship, er.. ship shape.

Stay strong brother, and make mine an early Halloween-themed green and orange Battenberg please gov’nor.

Andy

Fred
Bake Off Judge

Post by Fred » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 pm

Good to hear from you Keith. The good news? All the courgettes have been eaten and there are no more until next year! But, now it is steeping sloes and crab apples - in gin and vodka (both will be disgusting I have no doubt)! Still, I have also been getting lots of home-made apple chutney and strawberry jam , so nothing to complain about, really.
Best,
Fred

1979 Series 3 GS, 23HF14