Hi from Dubai!

Hi, you have found the Military Lightweight Club Forum!

This Forum is intended as a place to discuss your projects and/or military equipment, ask questions, share knowledge and help one another.

Please register and feel free to introduce yourself and share your views and opinions with other like minded people.

Kind regards, Military Lightweight
Blackshaheen

Re: Hi from Dubai!

Post by Blackshaheen » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Well, thank you all for such a generous welcome!
I'm very excited to be involved in your community.
The Lightweight has many issues mainly involving leaking... radiator, diffs, gearbox, etc etc. Misfires like sob etc etc but it's all there at least.
http://photobucket.com/plans/store/?utm ... _content=b
I will start a thread soon. So grateful to be involved here.
Thanks a cheers again !

Ridgy

Post by Ridgy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Well I'm guessing at least you shouldn't have too many rust problems......?

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
57 KB 58 1983 SIII GS Lightweight

hibbo
Master Baker

Post by hibbo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi David :D welcome to the forum 8-)
Graham.

Buy British, now it's more important than ever.

1980-83 GS Lightweight 57KB99
Sankey narrow track 08ES81
1942 350cc Ohv Ariel W'ng dispatch bike

Fred
Master Baker

Post by Fred » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum. It leaks, eh? Well, that comes as a shock to us all! I ma rebuilding one at the moment and that even leaks from places where there are no fluids! But, we look forward to sharing your enthusiasm as you start your rebuild thread. How are you off for spares in Dubai? I believe there is a second-hand Land Rover dealer somewhere out your way, I was following his site when he first set up. Had some interesting stuff, but he was very expensive. But, looking at your bodywork, it doesn't look as though corrosion will be too much of a problem. Oh! and I love the tyres!
Best
Fred

chipbury
Master Baker

Post by chipbury » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are there any interesting issues with driving historic/older vehicles in the UAE?
2A - 39 FG 70

Blackshaheen

Post by Blackshaheen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am

Again I must say a big Thank You to everyone for welcoming me!
To answer some of the observations/questions:
Ridgy - It's fair to assume that I shouldn't have too many rust problems however...the car is from Oman and that is wetter and cooler than the UAE. The paint on the vehicle is a bit shabbily done but is relatively new. Not 100% sure what lurks beneath... The door tops are definitely destroyed and I 'think' beyond repair. Other areas are smoothe on the outside but alarmingly bubbly on the interior side. Suggests problems but time will tell. In truth the car is in reasonable shape with body-work however.
Fred - I hear you re: the leaking!!! This is a whole new level compared to my experience though. LOL. I have a lot of copper washers and gaskets in my near future I think.
Spares will I suspect be hard to come by but what I do have access to is an industrial area of what we lovingly reffered to in Africa as 'Bush-mechanics'. Its not meant as a derogatory term but more to suggest that ANYTHING can be fixed...if you're willing to look the other way whilst they wield the sledge-hammer! LOL.
I've heard about the Land Rover guy in Sharjah that you mentioned and I may pay a visit one day for interests sake but my budget is beyond slim at this stage.
Oh, and the tires...the guy was very proud when he sold me the car to point out the 'diff locks' (free wheeling hubs) and the hardly worn tires.
Hardly worn yes but ancient. Lumps were falling off within 50 yards of the test drive. hahaha.
Chipbury - In truth this will be my first experience with trying to register an older vehicle. For many years the older 'classic' status cars could only be registered in Sharjah (North of Dubai) but more recently Dubai has also started issuing 'classic' plates. In short I expect no drama if the vehicle gets through the RTA (MOT) test. It is a little more lenient than the standard test I believe?

Thanks again to all. I will start a thread in the next few days and doubtless have many bizarre and irritating questions for you all.

I understand that cake is the just reward for all assistance...I may struggle from over here but will certainly try my best to provide my fair share!!!

brinv8
Pastry Chef

Post by brinv8 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Well I do like the parking brake, reminds me of a family Seat 500 in Majorca back in the 80's, had sort of same braking system.

Hello and Welcome to the mad house, looks like a nice straight motor to start with. They don't leak, they just find there best working level.
Brian
56FL65 - LWT FFR 24v
61FL39 / 94AV44 - 101 RHD Radio Body 12v
63FL29 - 101 GS 12v
55KL83 - Harley-Davidson MT350
- - - - - - - Can Am Bombardier 250

AR4412
Maître Pâtissier

Post by AR4412 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I look forwards to following along as you do work to your lightweight, at least you wont have to worry about running out of oil to top up the leaky bits being in that part of the world.

Regards,
For Those That Have Had To Fight for It, Life Has Truly A Flavour The Protected Will Never Know.

THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

Neil.

09FM98. 1973 Ex SIII FFR Now 3.5 V8 LWT Coiler.
55HG98. 1980 SIII FFR PARA RECCE. Ex SFSG/2 PARA/3 PARA.
Td5 90 XS.